5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to TRY and prevent our trucks from being stolen

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
not bad, thanks for the reply.
a little more in calif. mine was $700.32

still worth it imo.

I like the fact if you get carjacked pull the plug on the way out of the vehicle and it becomes disabled.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
a little more in calif. mine was $700.32

still worth it imo.

I like the fact if you get carjacked pull the plug on the way out of the vehicle and it becomes disabled.
Cali lol, I figure it would be more expensive here. thanks for the heads up

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2 things:

If you leave the plug in the Ravelco device, does the remote start work then? Remote start only loses function when the plug is pulled?

I’ve been a part of car jacking scenario training (among other scenario trainings) - if you leave the vehicle & take the plug with you, seems like it would be increasing the risk factor of a violent attack if they are equipped with a weapon, wouldn’t you think? At that point all you have left to do is to run, hopefully fast enough, & hopefully loved ones are not with you. In this case, it would be best to have your firearm & shoot through your window at the armed attacker or simply let them take your vehicle. Hopefully there are multiple trackers to where only some might be disabled upon the thief leaving. Just something to think about.

jgc650i

Reaction score
2 things:

If you leave the plug in the Ravelco device, does the remote start work then? Remote start only loses function when the plug is pulled?

I’ve been a part of car jacking scenario training (among other scenario trainings) - if you leave the vehicle & take the plug with you, seems like it would be increasing the risk factor of a violent attack if they are equipped with a weapon, wouldn’t you think? At that point all you have left to do is to run, hopefully fast enough, & hopefully loved ones are not with you. In this case, it would be best to have your firearm & shoot through your window at the armed attacker or simply let them take your vehicle. Hopefully there are multiple trackers to where only some might be disabled upon the thief leaving. Just something to think about.

Yes, remote start works normally if the plug is left plugged into the port.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, remote start works normally if the plug is left plugged into the port.

Thanks for the clarification! Having the option to pick & choose when & where “to remote start, or not to remote start” is nice. I often travel for work so hotels & city areas I would absolutely take the plug with me obviously. Not many people will find where we live so it’s nice to at least have it around the house should we choose to do so. I think I will end up going this route as well. Then maybe use the active GPS from BoostedTechnologies to track it in case a tow truck/flatbed decided to pick it up.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have opinions or experience between IGLA & Ravelco? I’ve read some folks with Ravelco have had thieves attempt something electronically only to have a ton of electrical issues afterwards. Not sure if IGLA is more stealthy or has any extra features that are nice to have. I like the idea of relocating the OBD port and locking it up as previously suggested, but will check with dealer to make sure it doesn’t void warranty first.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't speak for IGLA, but there's nothing stopping someone from programming a new key fob with Ravelco. They still won't be able to steal the truck. The programming that the thieves do would require you to have a dealer program new key fobs (plus the cost of new key fobs, since they can't be reused).

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure how many of y‘all have had your truck stolen or heard of all the thefts but I thought I’d ask…. What have you done or are considering doing to try and prevent it from happening to you.
I choose to live in a low crime area, carry insurance, and stay armed.

In 30 years I've never had a vehicle tampered with. I drive Jeeps, Challengers, Mustangs, Rams, etc .... all the popular stuff to steal. If you live where Grand Theft Auto is common you should probably not live there.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I choose to live in a low crime area, carry insurance, and stay armed.

In 30 years I've never had a vehicle tampered with. I drive Jeeps, Challengers, Mustangs, Rams, etc .... all the popular stuff to steal. If you live where Grand Theft Auto is common you should probably not live there.

I also do these 3 things. BUT I also travel every other week to different states for work & stay in hotels.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would like to see this article

I will have to look & find it. I googled “Ravelco problems issues” as I do with most things when looking for pros & cons before choosing various things. It was scenarios where thieves didn’t know what they were getting themselves into & thought they could rewire/hot wire/etc & royally screwed up the owners vehicles. Not an issue with Ravelco, rather the damage from the thieves that couldn’t be easily reconverted from like a broken window. They were without their vehicle for a long time & still had electrical hiccups after getting back on the road.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I just notice in other forums that have had the revelco installed they got a cap for when the plug is removed.
does anyone reading this have the cap?

I did not get a cap.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Contact Ravelco & tell them you didn’t receive one. They should send you one no problem, especially with their profit margin on the product. I called a gun holster company after my plastic clip broke & they sent me 3 new ones for free.

Still wish they had better color options for this as I soon plan on installing.

Users who are viewing this thread