5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to TRY and prevent our trucks from being stolen

Dodgeramfan

Reaction score
10+ years ago I put a portable (AA battery powered) alarm in my car. It was made for a residential door, with a keypad and sensor. Sensor was attached to the car door and I had 30 seconds to enter a code into the keypad (kept under the driver's seat). No code in 30 secs....blaring alarm sound. Would it STOP a theft of the car or contents? No but it sure might scare someone away. Sensor and keypad were not immediately apparent so anyone who broke in would get quite a surprise. I only used it when I ventured into the city for extra protection (after another car was broken into twice during nights out). It eventually died so I removed it. Sorry, don't recall the brand.

It wasn't this exactly but it gives you a general idea: https://www.amazon.com/GE-Wireless-...sprefix=door+alarm+keypad,aps,173&sr=8-3&th=1

bucolic

Reaction score
In the good old days you just popped the distributor cap, removed the rotor and put it in your pocket, and put the distributor cap back on.

As technical as these trucks are it seems like there is one part under that hood you could easily remove or unplug that will prevent the truck from starting :)

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In the good old days you just popped the distributor cap, removed the rotor and put it in your pocket, and put the distributor cap back on.

As technical as these trucks are it seems like there is one part under that hood you could easily remove or unplug that will prevent the truck from starting :)
Popping a cap is still an effective theft deterrent, but it depends on you being present and armed during the act! 😉

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
10+ years ago I put a portable (AA battery powered) alarm in my car. It was made for a residential door, with a keypad and sensor. Sensor was attached to the car door and I had 30 seconds to enter a code into the keypad (kept under the driver's seat). No code in 30 secs....blaring alarm sound. Would it STOP a theft of the car or contents? No but it sure might scare someone away. Sensor and keypad were not immediately apparent so anyone who broke in would get quite a surprise. I only used it when I ventured into the city for extra protection (after another car was broken into twice during nights out). It eventually died so I removed it. Sorry, don't recall the brand.

It wasn't this exactly but it gives you a general idea: https://www.amazon.com/GE-Wireless-Personal-Activation-45117/dp/B0014A4JWU/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1YJEWTGNLX9QS&keywords=door+alarm+keypad&qid=1650307158&sprefix=door+alarm+keypad,aps,173&sr=8-3&th=1
not very expensive
might be worth it

g_force

Reaction score

. . . dunno if you're being sarcastic, so I'll comment nonetheless. . .

The modern analog to pocketing your rotor is to pocket a relay or two. The fuel pump and start relays are easy to get to.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d opt for the high DB method,.....
Be careful with this method. You'll open yourself up to a law suit when they sue you for hearing loss.
Kinda like the guy who boobytrapped his bathroom because people were breaking in through the window. They got injured and he got sued for a ton of money. It's crap yes, but it's something to keep in mind.

In the past on customer vehicles, I’ve installed a physical switch (wherever they want) that cut power to the pcm when the vehicle was parked. You could use a 12v remote relay instead. That won’t stop someone from dragging the vehicle on a tow truck, which is way easier than trying to start any modern vehicle.
This is probably one of your best bets. Set up a kill switch AND a transmission lock. There are various methods to have the transmission locked either manually or automatically when it's put into park. You have to deactivate the switch to shift into gear.
Can thieves get around a power/pcm kill and a transmission lock? Absolutely, but as others have said if they want it bad enough they'll find a way. The idea is to make it more difficult so they pick an easier target.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The modern analog to pocketing your rotor is to pocket a relay or two. The fuel pump and start relays are easy to get to.
That would do it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Be careful with this method. You'll open yourself up to a law suit when they sue you for hearing loss.
Kinda like the guy who boobytrapped his bathroom because people were breaking in through the window. They got injured and he got sued for a ton of money. It's crap yes, but it's something to keep in mind.

This is probably one of your best bets. Set up a kill switch AND a transmission lock. There are various methods to have the transmission locked either manually or automatically when it's put into park. You have to deactivate the switch to shift into gear.
Can thieves get around a power/pcm kill and a transmission lock? Absolutely, but as others have said if they want it bad enough they'll find a way. The idea is to make it more difficult so they pick an easier target.
You can enable, within the settings, auto parking brake. This applies parking brake when you shift into park, and releases it when you shift into drive(as long as your seatbelt is on). I have mine set up this way. Slows down anyone who tries to pull the manual nuetral release for transmission from being able to move the truck. Granted, if they get the truck started, this doesn't work.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can enable, within the settings, auto parking brake. This applies parking brake when you shift into park, and releases it when you shift into drive(as long as your seatbelt is on). I have mine set up this way. Slows down anyone who tries to pull the manual nuetral release for transmission from being able to move the truck. Granted, if they get the truck started, this doesn't work.
I don’t know about regular Ram 1500’s, but with the TRX thefts, the lion’s share are stolen by cloning the key fob or reprogramming the computer to accept a new key. Very few, from what I hear, are being stolen with a flatbed.
So to me, the goal is to disable the engine with a physical method (not electronic). That way, even if the thieves can get the power on, it won’t work.

bucolic

Reaction score

That would do it.
Nope..not being sarcastic at all.

This might be a good solution for say if you were parked at an airport or in a parking garage for an extended stay. Just pop out the relay and the truck won't start. Simple and effective and they can program all the keys they want! Won't stop the tow job but they won't be driving it. Doubt they would waste too much time trying to figure out why it won't start.

Want to get creative buy an additional relay and gut it. Then plug it in as a dummy and even if they have the ambition to look under the hood no missing parts.

Of course I won't be driving it either when I lose the relay :)

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
lots of talk on the trx forum about this company

Not talking smack about this company, but (1) it’s a Russian company, and (2) it’s not a “physical” defeat, it’s an “electronic” defeat. I’m tempted to add it to my truck, but just can’t bring myself to do it. Anything electronic can be hacked. Especially by…Russians.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If I'm home and not in the truck, it lives in the garage. If I'm not home, I generally try to park where I can see it from wherever I'll be.

Other than that, a Glock and insurance.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
Ravelco is the solution that many of the TRX guys are using. 100% disables the truck - the only way to steal it is to use a flatbed (or spend hours rewiring). Yes you lose remote start when the plug is removed, but the peace of mind is well worth it.
I have it installed in my truck, and I don’t lose any sleep when it’s parked outside.
Unfortunately there is not a dealer in my area. I can order directly but I have to find someone to install it as it’s not something I am comfortable doing.

Phantom_h60

Reaction score
I don't do anything. Half of the time I don't even remember to lock the doors. I lived in Vegas and that place sucked when it came to crime. Now I live in Northern Michigan, it's pretty calm here. Even if someone did steal my truck, oh well. I would be pretty pissed; my insurance would write me a check...then I would go shopping for a new truck. I think way up here my wife's Subaru would be in more danger.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I park in a garage at home and live next door to two local police officers who have their cruisers in driveway. One of my other neighbors leaves his garage almost all the time even overnight. Granted our neighborhood is very low crime rate, but haven't had any issues.

If you are really concerned, pulling the fuel pump relay when you park, or wiring in a hidden kill switch for the fuel pump is easiest route. Pulling the relay will discourage most thieves, and they usually won't spend the time trying to figure it out. It's easily overlooked. Could even go as far as to make a dummy relay to put back in place.

Nope..not being sarcastic at all.

This might be a good solution for say if you were parked at an airport or in a parking garage for an extended stay. Just pop out the relay and the truck won't start. Simple and effective and they can program all the keys they want! Won't stop the tow job but they won't be driving it. Doubt they would waste too much time trying to figure out why it won't start.

Want to get creative buy an additional relay and gut it. Then plug it in as a dummy and even if they have the ambition to look under the hood no missing parts.

Of course I won't be driving it either when I lose the relay :)
Covered the fuel pump relay, and using a dummy one in my first reply.

Jay905

Reaction score
I have my vehicles insured for replacement value instead of actual cash value. Its not much more and it saves all the BS if you need to make a total loss claim.

As far as making sure the truck can't be stolen, anything OEM can be bypassed. They've been stealing anything with a hellcat motor here right from the airport parking garages, even with cameras and 24/7 security. They can unlock, open the door, program a key and drive away in seconds. They aren't cloning keys, they are making them with special tools. A hidden kill switch might annoy them. If they really want it they'll use a flatbed and it's gone.

There are a few rings that put gps trackers like airtags on wanted cars, establish patterns and then tow them when they are out in public with easy access. The pros know all the tricks and how to kill all the anit theft and lojack or whatever BS devices you think will save you.

I’ve got replacement insurance also, and its WELL worth the small cost. It’s already paid out the full cost of the previous truck and covers even the increase to get the new one.

I don’t really care to jump through hoops pulling relays or fuses to try and stop someone stealing it the next time. Too much work…. I realize most of these guys are pros, and can bypass most of these things. I’d just like to **** them off, and slow them down enough so that if it happens in my driveway again I have 20 seconds to get outside to greet them. Failing that some method to track the vehicle outside SiriusXM Guardian so I know where they are, or heading to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread