5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to tell what stereo system I have

Benca101

Reaction score
Hey sparky. Window sticker for one.. if it doesn’t say Harmon Kardon, however it’s spelled, or Alpine, you got lucky and scored the standard 6 speaker standard system.

For head units you only have the 5 inch screen, the 8 inch, or the 12 inch. This sounds somewhat dirty, but that size is in order of sound quality. So I hear.

Now I said you got lucky, because the Alpine system is the SAME system with the SAME PART NUMBERS but with the addition of a center dash speaker and a terrible subwoofer.

If you get the 6 speaker, plain vanilla one, you can swap out the speakers and enjoy far better sound. I did that, and it’s the best 500 bucks I’ve spent. I tried to have a sub added today, but it’s a real shift show.

Extole

Reaction score
Hey sparky. Window sticker for one.. if it doesn’t say Harmon Kardon, however it’s spelled, or Alpine, you got lucky and scored the standard 6 speaker standard system.

For head units you only have the 5 inch screen, the 8 inch, or the 12 inch. This sounds somewhat dirty, but that size is in order of sound quality. So I hear.

Now I said you got lucky, because the Alpine system is the SAME system with the SAME PART NUMBERS but with the addition of a center dash speaker and a terrible subwoofer.

If you get the 6 speaker, plain vanilla one, you can swap out the speakers and enjoy far better sound. I did that, and it’s the best 500 bucks I’ve spent. I tried to have a sub added today, but it’s a real shift show.
I also have the basic 6 speaker system in my rebel. What speakers did you end up getting? I was thinking of just replacing the dash speakers for now but not sure what speaker would be best since all the ohms wattage stuff confuses me. Not even sure what ohms the stocks run at and I hear if you get different ohm or speakers that require lot more power the system will sound bad.

Benca101

Reaction score
I also have the basic 6 speaker system in my rebel. What speakers did you end up getting? I was thinking of just replacing the dash speakers for now but not sure what speaker would be best since all the ohms wattage stuff confuses me. Not even sure what ohms the stocks run at and I hear if you get different ohm or speakers that require lot more power the system will sound bad.

I went to a very opinionated audio savant in San Diego. If you live here, go to Cutting Edge Audio and don’t worry about that stuff.

He put in Inifinit’s. Their midrange. The front door speakers are component speakers with a separate tweeter, so he made a bracket for the dash. Sounded much better and is much louder.

until today.. with the subwoofer. That’s it’s own challenge, apparently.

but for me, finally, in my life, I have more money than I do time, so I kick down a few bills for a pro to handle this stuff.

If you’re a noble DIY’er, it appears to be a straight swap straight to the Infinitis.

Extole

Reaction score
I should know this but can anybody tell me how I would found out what stereo system I have?
You can tell if you have the alpine system if the center speaker on the dash says Alpine. If you have Harmond Kardon I think you will also see large speaker grills on the ceiling above the rear seats. if none of the above apply you probably have the basic 6 speaker system

renzo2213

Reaction score
Easy way to tell is look at the center dash speaker. If it’s alpine, it’ll say alpine, if it’s Harmon kardon, it’ll say harmon kardon. If it doesn’t say anything, then you have the base system. Another way to tell is to crank it all the way up. If your ears hurt, it’s the harmon kardon, if it just sounds normal, alpine, if it sounds like a video recorded from an android phone, you guessed it, base system lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DennisY

Reaction score
I went to a very opinionated audio savant in San Diego. If you live here, go to Cutting Edge Audio and don’t worry about that stuff.

He put in Inifinit’s. Their midrange. The front door speakers are component speakers with a separate tweeter, so he made a bracket for the dash. Sounded much better and is much louder.

until today.. with the subwoofer. That’s it’s own challenge, apparently.

but for me, finally, in my life, I have more money than I do time, so I kick down a few bills for a pro to handle this stuff.

If you’re a noble DIY’er, it appears to be a straight swap straight to the Infinitis.

Benca, can you fill us in a little more on exactly what Cutting Edge did for you? I live in San Diego so I'm curious but not understanding what you are describing.

Where did he put the Infiniti speakers? A bracket for the dash? What was that for? Does that just stick out in plain sight?

Did they do anything for you about the subwoofer?

I bypassed the factory sub and put in dual 10 inch subs under the rear seat, adding a subwoofer amp to the mix. That set up rocks. I did not replace any other factory speakers nor to I feel that I need to. I have the factory EQ set to where my set up sounds awfully good to me.

Just curious on what set up you wound up with after your visit/expenditure with Cutting Edge. Their web site doesn't get into the gory details really so I can't tell much about them. Thanks in advance for your response.

Javyg105

Reaction score
I added kenwood excelon components and sub. Powered by 2 amps. Sounds amazing

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200112-164313_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200112-164313_Instagram.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200103_211009.jpg
    20200103_211009.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 34

Javyg105

Reaction score
Amps before and after

Attachments

• 20200103_211009.jpg
    20200103_211009.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5018.jpg
    IMG_5018.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 34

sparky01

Reaction score

Thanks for replying especially the heads up on the Harmon and Alpine systems I'm glad I have the base model stereo. I am assuming you were able to keep your OEM head unit and it has enough to power the upgraded speakers? I have the 8.4" display.

Users who are viewing this thread