5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to tell if wheels have TPMS?

djm11778

Reaction score
Brand spanking new 28 miles on it

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

djm11778

Reaction score
It is 1 year and a week old

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It is 1 year and a week old

If you check your build sheet capital letters need to be used. My build sheet is 9 pages long and TPMS is listed on the bottom of page 4.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Found a set of oem wheels/tires locally but seller doesn't know (?) if they have sensors. Says they were take-offs from new so I assume that if tpms system was working prior to their removal it's all good. But, you know what they say about assume. Is there any way to confirm sensors are there? Thanks
Personally, instead of trying to figure it out I would just figure out what it would cost to purchase a set of OEM sensors and have them installed and then knock that off what you would have offered them. Worst case you're actually buying the sensor, otherwise you got a really nice set of rims & tires at an even better price.

Kone

Reaction score
Personally, instead of trying to figure it out I would just figure out what it would cost to purchase a set of OEM sensors and have them installed and then knock that off what you would have offered them. Worst case you're actually buying the sensor, otherwise you got a really nice set of rims & tires at an even better price.
Kinda what I did. I got the set for a decent price. It's 99% certain the sensors were left on because the set was working on the truck, set was removed, tires were never dismounted and were immediately turned over to seller's dad. There's that nagging 1% chance the shop removed them for resale unknown to the seller tho. If so, I'll deal with it.

Thanks, all

Kone

Reaction score
Op here... so I have the set in my possession and I'm still not certain if sensors are there, or not. Pretty sure the wheels are part of the Laramie Sport Appearance package and I was interested to discover that the RWL were turned-around, facing in. Assuming they come from factory RWL facing out (true?) this tells me the tires were unmounted somewhere along the way so now I'm more doubtful of what the seller told me (tires never unmounted) and the sensors are missing.

Next question... if I put just one wheel on (leaving three others as-is) and drive for a bit am I correct that the system will squawk, or not, if no sensor is found on one wheel?

Prefer to not put on all four because I have appointment at my shop tomorrow to unmount all tires from the new set, turn RWL outward, and put them on truck. Thanks.

8C2A94FE-4DC9-4CD1-B162-0C38E4FD77DC.jpeg

Last edited:

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Next question... if I put just one wheel on (leaving three others as-is) and drive for a bit am I correct that the system will squawk, or not, if no sensor is found on one wheel?
That's what I'd do.
That's what I'd do. Drive a couple minutes and the display should either update or turn on a low tire warning.

Jako

Reaction score
Op here... so I have the set in my possession and I'm still not certain if sensors are there, or not. Pretty sure the wheels are part of the Laramie Sport Appearance package and I was interested to discover that the RWL were turned-around, facing in. Assuming they come from factory RWL facing out (true?) this tells me the tires were unmounted somewhere along the way so now I'm more doubtful of what the seller told me (tires never unmounted) and the sensors are missing.

Prefer to not put on all four because I have appointment at my shop tomorrow to unmount all tires from the new set, turn RWL outward, and put them on truck. Thanks,

That's what I'd do. Drive a couple minutes and the display should either update or turn on a low tire warning.
As per 2019 owner's manual:
"The vehicle may need to be driven for up to 20 minutes above 15 mph (24 km/h) in order for the TPMS to receive this information."

Kone

Reaction score
Took one to tire shop and guy said he couldn't detect sensors but sometimes they need to be "programmed" or he's using a setting on his scanner that isn't for the model truck the tires were on. I went home, swapped one out and went for a drive - 5 miles in I got a tpms warning for that wheel. Guess that's that?

Jako

Reaction score
Took one to tire shop and guy said he couldn't detect sensors but sometimes they need to be "programmed" or he's using a setting on his scanner that isn't for the model truck the tires were on. I went home, swapped one out and went for a drive - 5 miles in I got a tpms warning for that wheel. Guess that's that?
You questioned the validity of his statements and did what you could for the most part. Hopefully the deal was still a good price.
Are you are still going to switch which side faces out and if so it gives you an opportunity to put in sensors OR the correct sensors.

Kone

Reaction score
You questioned the validity of his statements and did what you could for the most part. Hopefully the deal was still a good price.
Are you are still going to switch which side faces out and if so it gives you an opportunity to put in sensors OR the correct sensors.
Just got back from the shop and the wheels are on and look great. Yes, I have the RWL facing out - I'm a RWL guy. I think it's kinda an old guy truck thing but as Popeye said, I yam what I yam. No sensors, as expected, so they salvaged them from my old wheels.

The price I got the Laramie wheels for I think was very fair even without the sensors so in the end I'm ok with it all. I did tell the seller (his dad) that the sensors were gone so if they really believed their shop left them on (but "kept" them instead) they can decide if they want to ever do biz there again. If they lied to me, so be it. When I made the offer I didn't think I was getting RWL so now that I did, it's all good. Even better, while I was waiting at the shop my Ram salesdude called and said he has a guy interested in my "old" wheels.

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
Just got back from the shop and the wheels are on and look great. Yes, I have the RWL facing out - I'm a RWL guy. I think it's kinda an old guy truck thing but as Popeye said, I yam what I yam. No sensors, as expected, so they salvaged them from my old wheels.

The price I got the Laramie wheels for I think was very fair even without the sensors so in the end I'm ok with it all. I did tell the seller (his dad) that the sensors were gone so if they really believed their shop left them on (but "kept" them) they can decide if they want to ever do biz there again. If they lied to me, so be it. When I made the offer I didn't think I was getting RWL so now that I did, it's all good. Even better, while I was waiting at the shop my Ram salesdude called and said he has a guy interested in my "old" wheels.
Karma means action, work, or deed. The term also refers to the spiritual principle of cause and effect, often descriptively called the principle of karma, wherein intent and actions of an individual influence the future of that individual: good intent and good deeds contribute to good karma and happier rebirths, while bad intent and bad deeds contribute to bad karma and bad rebirths.Wikipedia

Users who are viewing this thread