5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to tell if wheels have TPMS?

Kone

Reaction score
Found a set of oem wheels/tires locally but seller doesn't know (?) if they have sensors. Says they were take-offs from new so I assume that if tpms system was working prior to their removal it's all good. But, you know what they say about assume. Is there any way to confirm sensors are there? Thanks

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
Maybe borrow a tire shops scanner that can check battery life, frequency, and obviously if they're there.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

TPA-RAM

Reaction score
The last two OE wheels that I replaced on my trucks I had the installer pull the OE TPMS out of the wheels and install them on my new wheels. I had issues with aftermarket TPMS being recognized by my trucks.

I would never assume. I find it odd, that he doesn’t know. I would assume then NO they are not in there. Better to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I go along with post #3. Did he lose "custody" of the wheels at some point. Of course he may not be the sharpest knife in the draw and took his wheels to be done somewhere and has no clue what went on. Or he is playing dumb.

See if he wouldn't mind letting you put one of the wheels on your Ram. My Bighorn recognizes my semi-annual tire changes in less than 3 miles.

From the 2019 owner's manual:
"The vehicle may need to be driven for up to 20 minutes above 15 mph (24 km/h) in order for the TPMS to receive this information."

Kone

Reaction score
Update. He's selling for his dad who had an entire new set of rims/tires put on and to their knowledge, his old set was just removed and never messed with (to remove sensors). You'd think he'd/they'd know if the new set install included 4 new sensors or if they unmounted/removed sensors/remounted old set.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Scanner, mount them on the truck and drive or physically break the bead down and look for the sensor on the valve stem. That’s the only ways. Externally there’s no way to know. The bigger tire store like discount have a scanner and if you bring them there they can scan the wheels for sensors

Jako

Reaction score
Update. He's selling for his dad who had an entire new set of rims/tires put on and to their knowledge, his old set was just removed and never messed with (to remove sensors). You'd think he'd/they'd know if the new set install included 4 new sensors or if they unmounted/removed sensors/remounted old set.
Bill of Sale? I would think TPMS information would be documented on receipt either as removal and install or purchase and install.

djm11778

Reaction score
Not all trucks have TPMS, mine doesn't. You would need to scan them to see if they are in there.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Not all trucks have TPMS, mine doesn't. You would need to scan them to see if they are in there.

Yours doesn't have TPMS? I thought it was a federal regulation now on all new vehicles since 2008?

djm11778

Reaction score
If it has it there isn't a monitor for it on the display. I have a 2020 big horn BTS level 2. Kinda surprised myself. It is not listed on the window sticker.

Jako

Reaction score

2019 DT Ram 1500 ebrochure
Standard equipment across the model lines
TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR (TPM) — Tire-specific TPM display S S S S S S S — Tire-fill alert system S S S S S S S

Attachments

• Ram 1500 DT eBrochure.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 5

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
If it has it there isn't a monitor for it on the display. I have a 2020 big horn BTS level 2. Kinda surprised myself. It is not listed on the window sticker.

Going completely from memory, when the truck is on, hit the down-arrow on the left side of the steering wheel (provided it’s displaying MPH by default) once.. or maybe twice? one of those ‘tabs’ is the ‘vehicle information’ tab, and there are like 8-10 options you can navigate using left/right buttons. I think the furthest left is TPMS, will display PSI for each tire.

Jako

Reaction score

check your build sheet,

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I don't think there is any new vehicles for sale in the United States that doesn't have TPMS, at least not for the last few years.

As for the OP, the common procedure when switching to new wheels/tires is to take the original TPMS and install them on the new wheels. I highly doubt you will find tires sensors on a set of takeoffs.

Very few people would go through the expense of spending more money on new sensors for a new set of wheels.

djm11778

Reaction score
I aired them down to 15 psi in the sand and a light never came on. Guess they are working good.

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
I aired them down to 15 psi in the sand and a light never came on. Guess they are working good.

Well, a better answer is "yours should have them." Just cycle thru the vehicle info menu and you should see a diagram with all your individual tire psi displayed.

If you truly don't have them, suggest you put in a warranty claim.

djm11778

Reaction score
It doesn't have that screen. I have three other Chrysler vehicles that have that screen. Mine doesn't have that screen.

Jako

Reaction score
"The feature is standard on all 2008 and newer models, thanks to the TREAD Act, which Congress enacted in 2000 after rollover incidents involving the Ford Explorer and Firestone tires. Some 2006 and 2007 model-year vehicles also have TPMS."

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
It doesn't have that screen. I have three other Chrysler vehicles that have that screen. Mine doesn't have that screen.

Did you buy it used? The Tazer can get rid of the screen all together in a jeep. I assume it can in a Ram too.

Users who are viewing this thread