5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to take apart\fix MFT Multi-Function Multi function Tailgate

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had the problem of the driver side MFT door not staying open at 90 degrees and hitting me in my back while loading several times.
When I went to my local large dealership the tech explained he has never seen or worked on an MFT before and the service advisor informed me that they "don't sell trucks like mine" (2022 Ram 1500 Limited).
Instead of having them monkey around with my truck I took the MFT apart myself to see what was going on.

TLDR: my problem was something was either to long or too short so the 2 metal balls inside of a plastic grommet would never be able to traverse to the last notch on the metal bar causing it to "lock open"

Step 1 remove the Bedliner panel to expose metal panel (10 push clips)
2022-05-01 14.09.51.jpg 2022-05-01 14.09.33.jpg

Step 2 Remove Metal panel 2 push clips and 6 T30 screws
2022-05-01 14.14.04.jpg

Step 3 remove the 1 10MM screw from the MFT hinge area.

Step 4 remove the 2 10MM nuts from MFT door
2022-05-01 14.16.24.jpg

Step 5 "fish" this device out of the tailgate
2022-05-01 14.16.16.jpg
Step 6 expand the device on the rod all the way out to what should be considered "90 degrees locked" be careful as you don't want your fingers to get caught

Step 7 reinsert the device\rog into the tailgate and work on getting the 1 10MM screw to line up with the hole when the tailgate is opened to 90 degrees.
I ended up using 4 washers for it to line up as rod was going way past the hole it was suppose to screw into
2022-05-01 15.19.21.jpg
Reverse uninstall procedure. You can test the door once the 2 10MM nuts and 1 10MM screw is installed for a proper fit.

Hopefully this helps people that have this problem and don't want to let the service department learn on your truck or outside of warranty.
I'm not sure what could even be replaced to make it fit as none of the parts appeared to be damaged.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Props for finding your own solution to this problem. It would be interesting to know why yours needed this "adjustment", but as long as it works now you'll probably enjoy having the MFT much more than before.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Props for finding your own solution to this problem. It would be interesting to know why yours needed this "adjustment", but as long as it works now you'll probably enjoy having the MFT much more than before.
Either the rod part was too long, or the placement of the 10MM screw hole inside the MFT was placed too close.
Likely some kind of a manufacturing defect but no visible damage so just wrong tolerances.

The dealership would likely order a replacement driver side tailgate and replace the entire thing, I don't think they would of considered throwing a few washes insdie (but it works perfecctly for me and it's not going to break.

I know of another user who has the same problem, and likely needs the same solution so it's rare but exists for others.

I sure do enjoy the MFT more esp knowing that my door isn't going to slam shut while i'm inside blocking the step down :-/ or worse, close on me again (this thing is heavy!)

wayne47

Reaction score
Thank you! Yes, I have the same problem. Going to report this to RAM Care to see if there is a way to get it into the dealerships hands.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank you! Yes, I have the same problem. Going to report this to RAM Care to see if there is a way to get it into the dealerships hands.
Good luck. It's a super easy repair if you do it yourself. At no point did I feel like I was going to break any part.

Users who are viewing this thread