5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO SAVE GAS?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another vote for brisk but not excessive acceleration as silver bullet mentioned.

Just by changing that aspect of my driving (moving smartly up to cruising speed) has netted me almost 1 mpg better economy per tank (hand calculated).

I also don't drive over 70 mph on the freeway. 70 mph gets me just over 1500 rpm in 8th gear (with 3.21 gears) and I can hold speed better on mild inclines and MDS stays on.

Once I go above 70 mph my fuel economy drops noticeably.

If you are serious about fuel economy:

- Avoid city streets with lights (stop-and-go)
- Go inside to get your food instead of going through the drive-thru (idling)
- Keep the ethanol content as close to 0% as possible
- Stick to Top Tier gas stations and use 89 octane or higher

As others have said, I didn't buy my all-motor V-8 for economy. I will conserve where I can but if I get 14 mpg or 17 mpg doesn't make much difference to me. Sure it's a few extra bucks at the pump but it was worth it to enjoy driving my truck.

Husky_max

Reaction score
If the truck is new, the mileage will suck. As it breaks in, it will improve. Mine was lousy until about 5000 miles.

Beyond that, keep the tires inflated and leave your ego and testosterone at home when you go somewhere. You don't have to beat everyone out of the light. You don't have to pass everyone. Pretend you're driving a stickshift and look far ahead and try to anticipate lights so you come to a complete stop as seldom as possible, On long trips, use the cruise control and sit in the right lane unless it's full of semis going below the speed limit, when you're allowed to pass. Otherwise let the BMWs and rice rockets pass you.

Hard acceleration kills fuel economy. Idling kills it really bad with the hemi. And above 70 mph economy falls off really really bad.

You are talking about everything i am doing now. LOL no wander I am only getting 11 to the gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online