5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Remove 12" Screen - Fixed Brake Controller

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only issue I've really had with the Limited was that the "-" button sticks on the trailer brake controller and after it sticks in for ~30 seconds it throws a "service trailer brake controller" message. I figured out I could pop it back out with the corner of a credit card so I've been wondering for two months if it's just sticking in the housing. I really hated the idea of the service techs taking out the 12" center console to figure it out so I finally decided it had sat on the back burner for too long.

Remove Center Console:
  1. Disconnect neg battery terminal! Important for radio!
  2. Remove rubber tray above 12".
  3. Remove 2 Phillips screws.
  4. Say a prayer.
  5. Grab the top tray with two hands and pull/gently yank. It takes some force. You are pulling a baker's dozen worth of clips out all around the whole center assembly and it makes a sound like you'll soon need a new 12" screen. See pics below.
  6. While it's out, mind you don't scratch the lower console or dash!
  7. Disconnect all 5 wiring connectors from back. They all have clips to depress to release: 12V cig lighter, two 12", TBC, toggle switches.
  8. Reinstallation is to reverse these steps.

A few notes/observations:
  1. The 12" is housed in a cast metal tray that is screwed/bolted in well and fairly robust. It's clearly meant to last.
  2. There is a finned metal electronic box right behind it. One tag had a ___tel listed on it so I presume it is part of the LTE system but can't confirm.
  3. When snapping the console back into place it didn't take near the effort as removal, but it is still solid and squeak free. Overall not hard and that console is built well. I wouldn't take it out any more than I had to, but it's solid.
  4. There is room to fish wires/other once it's out. Below the left vent, you can see all the way to the floor just past the shifter.
  5. Radio:
    1. When I reconnected the battery and started it, I had an "Oh @#$%!" moment when a brand new theme presented itself - black and red. It said "Radio Locked" and everything was reset. I poked a few buttons and wondered how long it would take to drive to the dealer.
    2. I turned off the truck and started it back up again and everything was back to normal. Seems there is a handshake somewhere between the radio and another computer. The only thing off was my theme reverted to Limited "hard to read" and the SXM input was changed to a headphone jack. I just drug SXM back to that spot and I'm back in business.
    3. On the back of the 12" are two connectors. One looks like a regular factory multi-wire connector but the other appears to have an antenna lead in the middle of it. Seems a lot of the 12" radio system is contained in the screen/center console.
So, what about the Trailer Brake Controller?
The assembly with it and the toggle switches are held in by two screw on the back and then you have to release four tabs so the assembly will slide out the front. Sure enough, once out, my minus button worked beautifully. I think they had that whole lower assembly jammed against the left side so that the outer portion of the minus button was rubbing against the console housing. Popped it back in and screwed it down but this time pushed it to the right. Works as advertised, I learned something, and nothing broken/scratched/lost by service techs.

Here's a few pics while I was in there:
20181213_142141.jpg

20181213_143814.jpg

20181213_143822.jpg

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I've pulled mine out twice now (adding the brake controller) and I agree there's alot of clips and it seems to be made well. There are two plugs that are exactly the same but DO NOT put them in the wrong spot. LABEL THEM....dont ask what happens when they're in the wrong spot. I also got very nervous when my screen had the default background, no xm radio, and literally no other features, but I let it sit and started it again and all was well. The hardest part of the whole thing for me was unplugging the cigarette lighter, real PITA.

grinch72

Reaction score
I've pulled mine out twice now (adding the brake controller) and I agree there's alot of clips and it seems to be made well. There are two plugs that are exactly the same but DO NOT put them in the wrong spot. LABEL THEM....dont ask what happens when they're in the wrong spot. I also got very nervous when my screen had the default background, no xm radio, and literally no other features, but I let it sit and started it again and all was well. The hardest part of the whole thing for me was unplugging the cigarette lighter, real PITA.

How hard was the brake controller install? Did the dealer charge you for adding the sales code after the fact??

Jordan2929

Reaction score
How hard was the brake controller install? Did the dealer charge you for adding the sales code after the fact??
Haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm sure they'll hit me with a $100 charge for something that takes them 10 minutes.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Wow, Edwards great job. This is just what I was looking for, I want to add a toggle switch for my in grill light bar. I don't have a trailer brake and thought that would be the perfect spot. I just needed a pioneer to blaze the trail. Now I only need a switch which would do it justice.

TVANVA

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. Great info. I'm also installing a brake controller. Please let us know what happens when you go to the dealer to get the codes entered.

20RAM2O

Reaction score
I'm curious if self installing the OEM trailer brake controller voids any section of the warranty, such as electrical.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I'm curious if self installing the OEM trailer brake controller voids any section of the warranty, such as electrical.
If you find a dealer that claims anything close to that voiding the warranty NEVER give them any of your business. It's literally a plug and play accessory (except for the dealer flash) all the wiring is already included on the truck from the factory.

20RAM2O

Reaction score
If you find a dealer that claims anything close to that voiding the warranty NEVER give them any of your business. It's literally a plug and play accessory (except for the dealer flash) all the wiring is already included on the truck from the factory.
Agreed. I plan to do this myself in the near future.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was extremely helpful in pulling out the display to mount a PAC Amppro. Yes the power port was tricky. I ended up using a screwdriver to push in the tab... Very easy then.

colo-pr

Reaction score
I got everything and Im ready to do it this Saturday, I have the 8.something screen but Im scare about pull the whole thing, (you know, I dont even make the first payment of the truck) I think I will say a couple of prayers instead of just one. My dealer is going to charge me $160 to flash the memory for that, i know, is ridiculous but I have no other option, I was looking in to a scanner or something like that people use to flash it but nobody has confirmed if it works in 2019 models. Whish me luck. By the way, im using the brake controller of my 2014 truck, every info I found it says that is the same, will see.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I got everything and Im ready to do it this Saturday, I have the 8.something screen but Im scare about pull the whole thing, (you know, I dont even make the first payment of the truck) I think I will say a couple of prayers instead of just one. My dealer is going to charge me $160 to flash the memory for that, i know, is ridiculous but I have no other option, I was looking in to a scanner or something like that people use to flash it but nobody has confirmed if it works in 2019 models. Whish me luck. By the way, im using the brake controller of my 2014 truck, every info I found it says that is the same, will see.
I'm assuming youre talking about the module that goes under the dash, not the actual controller?

Users who are viewing this thread