5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Lock keys inside

jas07k

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to lock your FOB inside the vehicle if you want to only take the valet key which?

When I go in the ocean I like to take the Valet key only as its waterproof vs the electronic FOB, but when I take the Valet Key out of the main key fob, and leave the FOB inside the vehicle, it triggers the remote access, so anyone that walks up to my truck while I am gone, and pulls on the handle can unlock the car. In BMW I know you need to flip a switch in the glove compartment, to disable the FOB's remote access.

Any idea how to do this on the RAM so the metal key can be used for waterproof situations?

trixdesigns

Reaction score
You'll need to get a Faraday cage bag for the fob. You might get away with wrapping it in foil, but that'd be ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I hope someone figures this out because I don't have a clue.

So there I was, finally made it to the campground at 1am, but couldn't find our site so parked the whole rig in the overflow lot. Didn't want to deal with the all beds in the camper, so the fam took what was open, and I'd bunk down in the spacious back of my sweet new Ram. Flipped up the back seat, put down a pad and a bag, then locked all four doors with key fob.

After a couple minutes the cluster display starts flashing "key fob has left the vehicle". Hmm...

Then when I almost dozed off I couldn't breath - I needed air - but of course the windows didn't work. So I tried unlocking the door with the key fob. BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! Oh ****, my vehicle had turned on me !and BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! I madly punched at all the buttons on the fob, and the horn if anything got louder. Then in a panic I jumped into the driver seat, and a start stop silenced it, and when I got the window down and I swear I could hear the infernal thing echoing across the distant canyon.

One of these days all this computerized safety stuff is going to us all killed.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope someone figures this out because I don't have a clue.

So there I was, finally made it to the campground at 1am, but couldn't find our site so parked the whole rig in the overflow lot. Didn't want to deal with the all beds in the camper, so the fam took what was open, and I'd bunk down in the spacious back of my sweet new Ram. Flipped up the back seat, put down a pad and a bag, then locked all four doors with key fob.

After a couple minutes the cluster display starts flashing "key fob has left the vehicle". Hmm...

Then when I almost dozed off I couldn't breath - I needed air - but of course the windows didn't work. So I tried unlocking the door with the key fob. BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! Oh ****, my vehicle had turned on me !and BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! I madly punched at all the buttons on the fob, and the horn if anything got louder. Then in a panic I jumped into the driver seat, and a start stop silenced it, and when I got the window down and I swear I could hear the infernal thing echoing across the distant canyon.

One of these days all this computerized safety stuff is going to us all killed.

What?

jas07k

Reaction score
You'll need to get a Faraday cage bag for the fob. You might get away with wrapping it in foil, but that'd be ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, never would have thought of this. I found an inexpensive option on Amazon (below), will give it a try.

Marusho

Reaction score
I like to keep my spare fob inside the truck, but of course you cannot do that without blocking the radio signal. I found a brass cylinder with a threaded lid that effectively blocks the signal, so I can hide the spare fob on the truck somewhere. Of course if you hide it inside the vehicle, when you open a door with a metal key, the alarm will sound until you can retrieve the fob and start the electronics, but my purpose in hiding this fob is for when I'm away from the house and lose my keys. I have taken this sort of precaution since the 1970s when I did just that hundreds of miles from home. On a similar subject, the manuals explain how to use the fob to start the motor when the coin cell is dead, something that will happen to all of us in 2022 when we have forgotten this procedure. . . . I can guarantee that in that instance the alarm will go off when you unlock the door with the emergency key, though this is not mentioned in any of the 4 owners manuals. And this brings me to yet another idea I had. Since the owners manual, at 700 pages, is way too big to take along, I have loaded the pdfs of this and the other 3 manuals (Uconnect, Users Guide and Quick Ref. Guide) onto an unused 7" Android tablet and stuck that in the glove box, along with a cable in case it goes dead before I need it. I'm noping to achieve an additional 1mpg from the weight reduction. . . .

Tom488

Reaction score
When I go in the ocean I like to take the Valet key only as its waterproof vs the electronic FOB, but when I take the Valet Key out of the main key fob, and leave the FOB inside the vehicle, it triggers the remote access, so anyone that walks up to my truck while I am gone, and pulls on the handle can unlock the car.
Have you tried disabling Passive Entry under The Doors and Locks Settings menu via the touchscreen?

neuther

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to lock your FOB inside the vehicle if you want to only take the valet key which?

When I go in the ocean I like to take the Valet key only as its waterproof vs the electronic FOB, but when I take the Valet Key out of the main key fob, and leave the FOB inside the vehicle, it triggers the remote access, so anyone that walks up to my truck while I am gone, and pulls on the handle can unlock the car. In BMW I know you need to flip a switch in the glove compartment, to disable the FOB's remote access.

Any idea how to do this on the RAM so the metal key can be used for waterproof situations?
So, I've tested this and as long as the fob is in the center console your truck will act as though it's not in the truck. Works great!

Bo3liwe

Reaction score
I like to keep my spare fob inside the truck, but of course you cannot do that without blocking the radio signal. I found a brass cylinder with a threaded lid that effectively blocks the signal, so I can hide the spare fob on the truck somewhere. Of course if you hide it inside the vehicle, when you open a door with a metal key, the alarm will sound until you can retrieve the fob and start the electronics, but my purpose in hiding this fob is for when I'm away from the house and lose my keys. I have taken this sort of precaution since the 1970s when I did just that hundreds of miles from home. On a similar subject, the manuals explain how to use the fob to start the motor when the coin cell is dead, something that will happen to all of us in 2022 when we have forgotten this procedure. . . . I can guarantee that in that instance the alarm will go off when you unlock the door with the emergency key, though this is not mentioned in any of the 4 owners manuals. And this brings me to yet another idea I had. Since the owners manual, at 700 pages, is way too big to take along, I have loaded the pdfs of this and the other 3 manuals (Uconnect, Users Guide and Quick Ref. Guide) onto an unused 7" Android tablet and stuck that in the glove box, along with a cable in case it goes dead before I need it. I'm noping to achieve an additional 1mpg from the weight reduction. . . .
Hi
Can you please upload (Uconnect, Users Guide and Quick Ref. Guide) .pdf file
Thank you

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Leave the key fob in the car and use the unconnect app to lock the car

And whenever anyone else walks up to the truck, of proximity is enabled, pulling on dort handle will unlock the truck. No need for the app if proximity is enabled and the fob is within sensor range

Also, don’t rely on the app - it can take a long time, and it can not happen, especially if no or poor cell coverage.

And if the goal is to take minimal with you, the fob is smaller than the phone

2020 1500 Canadian Sport 4x4 Delmonico Red

Last edited:
Reaction score
So I was reading that the passive entry will not work if the key fob is inside the vehicle. It said that the FOB has to be outside of the vehicle within a certain distance of the vehicle. I do not have the passive entry option on my truck, which sucks so I have to use the FOB buttons to lock/unlock the truck. I did try this on my wife's 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I could not unlock the jeep on the passenger side using the passive entry even though she was on the drivers side with the FOB. The president of my company also just got a new Tacoma and he had me try this with him and the truck and it also did not allow me to open the vehicle.

I wish I had the passive entry option on my Ram and may have not purcahsed it or may have had them add the option when I got it if I would have realized that just because it has push button start doesn't mean it has the option to just grab the door handle to unlock the truck.

Chrisroc2000

Reaction score

I figured out how to do it. You disable passive lock in your setting on the head unit. Press lock inside the car with the buttons, before you shut your driver side door, use the key to unlock it, then shut the door and lock it with the key. This will bypass the Auto Unlock system to prevent locking keys in the car.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I figured out how to do it. You disable passive lock in your setting on the head unit. Press lock inside the car with the buttons, before you shut your driver side door, use the key to unlock it, then shut the door and lock it with the key. This will bypass the Auto Unlock system to prevent locking keys in the car.
Another simple way to do it, like explained in the manual- no need to disable passive entry in the radio, take the key out of the fob, leave fob in truck, lock the doors from the inside door switch, close the door, doors will unlock, open door, lock doors again and close the door. The third time doing this, the doors will stay locked.

PM-Performance

Reaction score

This is the one thing I will greatly miss about my Ford and their touchpad on the door. This is the only drawback to the fobs.
I used this alot as I would lock my keys in the truck when we went out on the boat to mitigate any risk of my key getting lost or wet.

Skater

Reaction score
This is the one thing I will greatly miss about my Ford and their touchpad on the door. This is the only drawback to the fobs.
I used this a lot as I would lock my keys in the truck when we went out on the boat to mitigate any risk of my key getting lost or wet.
Yeah.... what he said. I never used to have to carry my keys anywhere. They stayed in my F-150. Now I feel like a high school custodian carrying a key ring around in my pocket. Maybe I will look for one of those belt loop hooks which keeps keys at the ready, so I do not have to dig into my pocket to get my keys anymore.

jimchi

Reaction score
From the owner's manual, page 31 (2021 edition):
NOTE:The vehicle will only unlock the doors when a valid Passive Entry key fob is detected inside the vehicle. The vehicle will not unlock the doors when any of the following conditions are true:
  • The doors are manually locked using the door lock knobs.
  • Three attempts are made to lock the doors using the door panel switch and then the doors are closed.
  • There is a valid Passive Entry key fob outside the vehicle within 5 ft (1.5 m) of a Passive Entry door handle.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Yeah.... what he said. I never used to have to carry my keys anywhere. They stayed in my F-150. Now I feel like a high school custodian carrying a key ring around in my pocket. Maybe I will look for one of those belt loop hooks which keeps keys at the ready, so I do not have to dig into my pocket to get my keys anymore.
well to be fair, if you have a fob/push button start you do not need to get your keys out. Just use the proximity to enter.
Its just the being able to lock the keys in the car easily is a thing for me because the ease of getting mine wet it my concern. Half of the time I do not even take my phone on the boat for this reason

Skater

Reaction score
Maybe I have some RF interference with my Lasfit LED's then. My proximity sensor works fine, but about half the time I have to take the keys out of my pocket for the interior sensor to recognize the fob is in the truck to allow it to start. At times, I have overcome this by simply leaving the keys in my pocket and not putting my foot on the brake and pushing the start button once. The second time I push the start button with my foot on the brake it finds the fob in the truck and starts.

I typically keep my keys in the center console. Having to take them with me after years of not having to is taking some getting used to. I have even gotten out of my Ram and begun to look for the keypad like I had on my F-150 only to have to open the door and grab my keys from the center console.

Users who are viewing this thread