5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: install sliding bed rails

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I figured I'd post this up as I installed my sliding bed rails today in preparation for getting a sliding tool box. I haven't found anyone here yet that has bought and installed the sliding tool box so I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig.

What's in the box: 16 nut inserts, 16 acorn head bolts, two rails and a set of instructions that have no words, only pictures. Frankly this new way of including instructions with only pictures pisses me off these days but that's another matter entirely.

If you look at the bed of your truck, you'll see 4 sets of top and bottom holes close together. This is where the rails will be mounted.

To begin with: if you have a spray in bed liner, you need to get a utility knife and trim away any liner that's in the holes. I thought I could make the inserts muscle through, but no dice. I spent more time trying to tap one in without trimming than it took me to trim all the other holes. See pictures.

Once the holes are cleaned up, tap the inserts into the holes. Then you need a 10mm socket and extension, and one of the bolts. You need to run that bolt all the way to bottom out, then crank a little more. The instruction pictures show 9 lbs of torque. I have a pretty good calibrated arm so I didn't bother with my torque wrench, but you can't give it much more than than as the inserts will spin in the holes. After you tighten it down, take the bolt back out and you'll notice that the insert is now stuck in there. These don't look like mushroom inserts but they are.

Once that is done grab a rail and put it up. The rails are interchangeable so it doesn't matter which one. The rails have plastic locator pins in each end. You don't need these. The one by the truck can goes in easy but the one by the tailgate just flexes and bends. I fought with the drivers side for 15 minutes. I took a utility knife and cut the passenger side off in 1.5 seconds. All they are for is to help you position it until you get the bolts started. Once you get it lined up, put in all the bolts loosely. Then the pics say to tighten to 10 lbs. I used my calibrated arm but again if you don't have a calibrated arm use a wrench because you can't gorilla these things on.

That's about it, really. They come with two sliding anchors and you can position those anywhere. If you have a truck cap like I do, these clear the cap.

When I get my toolbox I'll do another write up, as the tricky thing will be to see if the toolbox clears the bump outs on the truck cap.

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_173100331.jpg
    IMG_20210110_173100331.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20210110_171414302.jpg
    IMG_20210110_171414302.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20210110_171427051.jpg
    IMG_20210110_171427051.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20210110_171442837.jpg
    IMG_20210110_171442837.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Interested to see the toolbox... didn’t even know they had one for this setup. I installed the rails and the bed divider in mine.

Maconi

Reaction score
This was a nightmare to install on my truck. I tried whacking in the rivnuts with a mallet but eventually gave up. After scraping the bed liner out of the holes they were rounded/too big for half the nuts (possibly my fault, getting too aggressive with the box knife lol). The other half of the original nuts didn't crush properly and popped out.

I ended up having to buy a special tool and a bag of extra nuts and eventually got it done, although I don't know if I'd trust it to hold much weight at this point (nagging feeling in the back of my mind that the rivnuts might randomly pop back out under heavy load).

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Haven’t gotten a bedliner in mine yet but I wanted the rivnuts in before I did for just this reason. Just with factory paint it was a tight fit to get the nuts into the holes. I’ve installed hundreds of them with just a bolt and a couple nuts... got lazy and bought a tool for it and it’s so much faster lol

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was a nightmare to install on my truck. I tried whacking in the rivnuts with a mallet but eventually gave up. After scraping the bed liner out of the holes they were rounded/too big for half the nuts (possibly my fault, getting too aggressive with the box knife lol). The other half of the original nuts didn't crush properly and popped out.

I ended up having to buy a special tool and a bag of extra nuts and eventually got it done, although I don't know if I'd trust it to hold much weight at this point (nagging feeling in the back of my mind that the rivnuts might randomly pop back out under heavy load).

I'm pretty sure I read in the specs that they're only rated for 250 lbs anyway, so I think FCA is owning up to the thin sheet metal and these barely-mushrooming nuts by limiting that spec. I only wanted them to have a place for the sliding toolbox and an upper set of cleats to just add another mounting point - for safety I would always use the metal bolted cleats first.

On my Titan I had a set of pop-up bull rings mounted in the rails and they were awesome, but they wouldn't fit in the Ram. One day I think I'm going to cut a slot in the truck cap and bed rail and adapt them for this truck, but for now these upper cleats will be OK. I never understood why truck makers didn't give you built-in upper mounting points.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I had an issue with the nuts getting tight on mine as well. Went to Lowes and got some anchoring bolts that are rated for 250lbs. worked like a champ.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I read in the specs that they're only rated for 250 lbs anyway, so I think FCA is owning up to the thin sheet metal and these barely-mushrooming nuts by limiting that spec. I only wanted them to have a place for the sliding toolbox and an upper set of cleats to just add another mounting point - for safety I would always use the metal bolted cleats first.

On my Titan I had a set of pop-up bull rings mounted in the rails and they were awesome, but they wouldn't fit in the Ram. One day I think I'm going to cut a slot in the truck cap and bed rail and adapt them for this truck, but for now these upper cleats will be OK. I never understood why truck makers didn't give you built-in upper mounting points.
So you'd have to buy them later, of course.

Gotta admit, I really REALLY miss the utili-track from my Titan. I was looking into getting the rails for the Ram, but they're so low and there isn't one across the cab panel, so I'm just going to install one myself across that panel. I got Bull Rings for the bed caps, so I'd really only use the rails for bike mounts at this point.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had an issue with the nuts getting tight on mine as well. Went to Lowes and got some anchoring bolts that are rated for 250lbs. worked like a champ.
If you can find a link to what you bought post it up here, I'm sure that's going to be a common problem as there's just not really enough sheet metal to tighten those inserts the way they need to be tightened. What the should have done was make the opening and the insert square so that you could put more torque on them to tighten them down. Or had them draw up against the back of the sheet metal like a toggle bolt.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you'd have to buy them later, of course.

Gotta admit, I really REALLY miss the utili-track from my Titan. I was looking into getting the rails for the Ram, but they're so low and there isn't one across the cab panel, so I'm just going to install one myself across that panel. I got Bull Rings for the bed caps, so I'd really only use the rails for bike mounts at this point.
I never had the utilitrack on mine and it's one feature I always wished I had. I considered putting it in a couple of times but between the drilling, cost of parts and the fact that my toolbox blocked the front of the bed anyway it didn't make any sense.

equalie

Reaction score
Hey great post. Just bought 2020 Laramie megacab and right away wanted to get some utility rails installed in my bed. My last truck had them and I use them for dirtbike tiedowns quite frequently. I've been trying to find the mopar part numbers and found nothing for the utility tracks and cannot find them anywhere for my size bed. What size bed do you have and can you direct me to where you bought the parts. I have the 6'4" bed.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought mine from bamwholesaleparts.com; they were about $100 cheaper than the Mopar store and free shipping.

I don't know if they sell them or not but the part number for the 6.4 ft rails is 82215286AB.

Johnny5

Reaction score
I know I'm a little late to the party but I have a hard to fold tonneau so I was looking at a sliding toolbox. I didn't feel like buying the rails and the Mopar box so I'm thinking about using those sheetrock anchors and sticking some angle iron in the back and stick an aluminum tray back there to slide under cab section of tonneau. These should work great though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online