5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: install replacement tow mirror

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, well for those who were following along, a kid in a jacked up truck shattered my driver's mirror with his mirror (both tow, both Rams). After looking around for a bit I couldn't find any Ram tow mirrors that I wouldn't have to wait several months for so I ordered an aftermarket Trail Ridge from A1-auto. Mirror cost me $150 including taxes, shipping was free, so it was about a $200 part saving over the Ram mirror plus I didn't have to wait 2-3 months.

Before the install:

1. Go to Ram and buy some door panel and bezel plastic clips. I'd get 4 or 5 of them for sure.
2. Put the window down. This is easier to do if you can reach through the door.

So the install:

1. Remove the door panel. This requires removing 2 10mm bolts near the door pull and one by the door handle. To get at these you have to pop the plastic covers off. You need a very small flat-head to get these off. The one by the door handle pops pretty easy but the one by the door pull it's hard to get any leverage to pop it because the door pull is in the way. To prevent destroying the little pop tab I pressed it in a little bit and just popped it from the side with my screwdriver. When I got the covers off, all of my bolts were just barely tightened - I didn't even need the ratchet handle to get one of them started. Then pop the power window switch out from the top - it just pries out - and unhook the connector.

2. Start popping the door panel off. Start from the bottom. Even with a panel tool (I have one) you are probably going to break some of the clips. I ended up breaking 2 or 3 on the door panel and one on the bezel that has to come off to install the mirror. There's no good way to get at the top ones so those are the most likely to break. Once you have the door panel completely popped from the clips, pop the door lock out of the white plastic holder and push it through the panel. Then you have to unhook the cable that attaches to the door handle. Grab a needle nose pliers and squeeze the 2 clips on the plastic holder, which will release it from the holder and let you pull the cable out of the handle. See this picture:

IMG_20210306_175004138.jpg

Last edited:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4. Take off the plastic bezel that hides the mirror bolts. There are two black plastic push pins that are visible that hold the bezel over the mirror, so you have to pull these. Even with a trim puller I broke one of the clips, so it pays to have extras. You don't have to take off the whole bezel - just pop enough of it off to access the mirror bolts. Once it's off this is what you will see:
IMG_20210306_174950569.jpg

5. Take off the mirror. There's two 10mm bolts at the front and 2 10mm nuts on the rear, and a little metal clip that pops through and kind of holds the mirror in place. Before you do that, unhook the 2 plugs at the door control module and pull the wire out from the grommets. Then hold the mirror from the bottom, take out the two bolts and two nuts. Then get your needlenose pliers and squeeze the little metal clip from the inside and it will release the mirror. Be ready, because it is heavy and it will fall. Pull the mirror out and route the wire through the hole.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
6. I put the new Trail Ridge mirror and the old mirror on my work bench side by side to compare. The quality is amazingly good on the Trail Ridge - the plastic color and texture is identical, the mirror doesn't have any weirdness when you look into it, and the blinker cover and puddle lamp look alike. On the surface and from the outside you cannot tell the difference between the mirrors. But there are a couple of differences I will grab next. Broken OEM one on the left, new one on the right. You can see where his mirror hit my mirror on the top.
IMG_20210306_173647975.jpg

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But there are some differences:

1. The OEM mirror is metal reinforced at the mounting end. The Trail Ridge is all heavy plastic.
2. The gasket appears better on the OEM mirror but not by a ton.
3. The plug wires are different colors.
4. On the replacement mirror you have to screw a couple of studs into the mirror. It looks like they are metal sleeves inside the plastic mounting points but I couldn't tell for sure.
5. You have to reuse the metal clip from the OEM mirror as they don't supply this on the new mirror. Technically you probably can skip this - the mounting bolts hold the mirror - but the clip helps locate the mirror and when it snaps into place it will hold the mirror and not let it fall (but I still kept my hand underneath it).
6. The OEM mirror is heavier than the replacement. Not by a lot - I suspect the difference is the metal reinforcement plate. But it is heavier for sure.
7. The wiring harness is plastic coated on the replacement mirror, and fabric covered on the OEM one. This might result in some squeaking, I'll have to drive around and see.

I ended up using the OEM gasket because I liked it. You reuse the two 10mm bolts from the OEM mirror because these aren't supplied. The mirror itself had the wiring harness prongs in the exact right spot, so there wasn't any alterations needed here. You can see the OEM metal reinforcement here.
IMG_20210306_174116012.jpg

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally, put everything else back together in reverse order of how you put it in. I hooked up my power window switch and plugged in the mirror and tried all functions first before putting the panel back on. Everything worked just as I expected. I ended up with a couple of broken clips on the door panel and one on the bezel that hides the mirror mounting bolts. What I did there was put the good clip on the spot that ends up hidden by the door panel and put the bad one on the spot that's accessible later, so when I get some time I'll get some new clips from Ram. The busted clips on the door panel didn't make any difference holding the panel on but we'll see if there's any rattling or squeaking with them missing.

All in all I give the Trail Ridge mirror an A minus. My only dig at it is the lack of metal reinforcement at the mounting base like the OEM mirror; otherwise it really is identical to the OEM. It was just about dark when I was finished so I don't have a picture but will grab one tomorrow and post it up.

Arth

Reaction score
Finally, put everything else back together in reverse order of how you put it in. I hooked up my power window switch and plugged in the mirror and tried all functions first before putting the panel back on. Everything worked just as I expected. I ended up with a couple of broken clips on the door panel and one on the bezel that hides the mirror mounting bolts. What I did there was put the good clip on the spot that ends up hidden by the door panel and put the bad one on the spot that's accessible later, so when I get some time I'll get some new clips from Ram. The busted clips on the door panel didn't make any difference holding the panel on but we'll see if there's any rattling or squeaking with them missing.

All in all I give the Trail Ridge mirror an A minus. My only dig at it is the lack of metal reinforcement at the mounting base like the OEM mirror; otherwise it really is identical to the OEM. It was just about dark when I was finished so I don't have a picture but will grab one tomorrow and post it up.

Nice job. I upgraded to OEM towing mirrors recently and I really took my time taking the door panel off. Got really luck and didn't break any of the clips!

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice job. I upgraded to OEM towing mirrors recently and I really took my time taking the door panel off. Got really luck and didn't break any of the clips!
That's awesome - I wasn't so lucky. If consumers weren't so allergic to exposed fasteners none of us would have this problem :p . I prefer the old days of a regular screw and a plastic cap to hide it, or just have a nice bolt head and leave it exposed.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Great writeup. I'm sure your hard work doing this detailed writeup will help others. Do the towing mirrors have the power fold in/out feature?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is great. My rebel that I just picked up has tow mirrors and I need to replace them

Does anybody have the part number for them? I don't have blind spot monitor, or do have heated mirrors. Only thing it does have is the integrated turn signal.

I would like to go factory, but I like the set you have. Any issues with the turn signals, since the tow ones have the turn signals in them?

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my spouse 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Users who are viewing this thread