5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to increase payload capacity in 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

drhoda

Reaction score
I read online that upgrading rear springs and adding coiled shock absorbers would increase payload capacity in pickup trucks but it really never said how much or what impact to the ride is. Currently I have 1360 payload and would like to increase that by 300 to 500 lbs if possible and reasonable price but I don’t want to sacrifice ride quality either. Anyone have any experience on this?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can not.

Those things will band aid the capacity...but 7100GVWR is all your brakes and steering can handle.

If you are doing this often...your truck will notice. If this is for a once month or once a year deal...you have some extra capacity. If you are doing 500lbs more weekly...you got the wrong truck

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I read online that upgrading rear springs and adding coiled shock absorbers would increase payload capacity in pickup trucks but it really never said how much or what impact to the ride is. Currently I have 1360 payload and would like to increase that by 300 to 500 lbs if possible and reasonable price but I don’t want to sacrifice ride quality either. Anyone have any experience on this?

You only really have two choices; switch to a different 1500 with less heavy features. My truck (for example) is pretty well equipped and still has 1750 pounds of payload. Or, just testdrive a 2500 with coil springs, you might be surprised how well it rides.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Only 'legal' way to increase payload is to lose weight from the truck.
- remove the spare
- remove the tailgate
- remove the hitch
- buy lighter wheels/tires
- buy lighter exhaust
This may sound stupid but do wheels and tires really matter for payload ? I thought they were un sprung weight and therefore didn’t effect payload ?

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This may sound stupid but do wheels and tires really matter for payload ? I thought they were un sprung weight and therefore didn’t effect payload ?

GVWR is the total weight allowed to the pavement which is what the scales are going to measure against if you get stopped, so if you lower your wheel/tire weight, it in turn frees up room for more payload. Technicality, I know, but it'll still help you on the scales if you should get stopped.

I'm planning a long'ish trip towing the enclosed with 4-5 motorcycles in it. Rough math I'm going to be pretty close on my payload due to the tongue weight of the trailer. I'm considering moving the spare to the trailer just to free up that 75+ lbs of payload.

fartsonunicorns

Reaction score
Legally speaking the only way to add payload is to lose weight. You can’t exceed the GVWR (how much the truck is allowed to weigh fully loaded.

But if you’re regularly hauling more than 1000lbs or hauling it more than around town, you need a utility trailer or a bigger truck.

Trailers are cheap and they can offer more bed space and way more payload than your truck, and you can get good one for under $2000

Reactions: cj7

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
GVWR is the total weight allowed to the pavement which is what the scales are going to measure against if you get stopped, so if you lower your wheel/tire weight, it in turn frees up room for more payload. Technicality, I know, but it'll still help you on the scales if you should get stopped.

I'm planning a long'ish trip towing the enclosed with 4-5 motorcycles in it. Rough math I'm going to be pretty close on my payload due to the tongue weight of the trailer. I'm considering moving the spare to the trailer just to free up that 75+ lbs of payload.
You might have to move some passengers to the trailer...lol

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If you get stopped? Is that a joke?
Have u seen what the police have to deal with these days? You’d have to be waving a “Come get me, fascist pigs” sign, or something equally and obviously as stupid, to get a half ton pulled over for inspection.

usedup

Reaction score
My 2021 Limited with 3.21 gears can only tow up to 8100 lbs. Whereas if it had 3.92's it could pull 1100 lbs. I'd like to haul a friends skid steer but it's well over the 8100 lb. limit. If I locked out the top 2 gears could it handle a short tow? Probably a simple answer to my question. Someone out there with more knowledge about the transmission can set me straight. Thanks in advance. No auxiliary trans. cooler or tow package.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 Limited with 3.21 gears can only tow up to 8100 lbs. Whereas if it had 3.92's it could pull 1100 lbs. I'd like to haul a friends skid steer but it's well over the 8100 lb. limit. If I locked out the top 2 gears could it handle a short tow? Probably a simple answer to my question. Someone out there with more knowledge about the transmission can set me straight. Thanks in advance. No auxiliary trans. cooler or tow package.
What’s the tongue weight?

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That I don't know.
That’s how you determine if you can tow it. If the tongue weight doesnt overload your payload, and you take it easy, I suspect you will have no problem towing that trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread