5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to go in 4WD?

Reaction score
Howdy everyone. I'm a younger guy, I've owned 3 4WD ram 1500s all with electronic selectable 4WD. I just got a 2020 2500 that's got the 4WD knob on the floor. I haven't figured out how to put it in 4WD. Do I shift on the fly? I tried putting the truck in netural and using the knob to go into 4WD and it feels like it requires an insane amount of pressure. Thanks for the help. 20201211_153225.jpg

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Check the owner's manual to be sure but....

I;ve had two Jeeps with manual 4X4 and both if them were shift on the fly with no great effort needed. It won't like it if you're stopped; it wants both driveshafts to be going similar speeds. Both of them required the vehicle to be rolling very slowly - like 3 mph or less- and in neutral or clutch pressed to go into low range.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You say knob...lol...it confused me at first.

From 2wd to 4wd should be an easy pull straight back towards the seat.

You can do this at any speed in drive or neutral. You want to try to do it at an acceptable speed...but it truly is shift on the fly. You need to pull with a constant pressure...but it should not be "hard". Remember. You do not want to use 4wd on dry hard surfaces...especially if turning.

Going from 2wd to 4wd low is a bit trickier...but not any harder. Truck must be in neutral. It is best to be coasting at about 3 mph. But you can do this sitting still.

You need to also understand there is a Center Axle disconnect that needs to engage. Which is in the front axle.

Also...with the HeavyDuty you may find more specific answers at our sister site www.hdrams.com

Reaction score
I shifted into 4H on the fly. After getting it into 4WD that one time it has been very easy to get it in and out of 4WD now. Thanks for the tips.

Users who are viewing this thread