5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get 'vent' (outside air) only in this AC system?

parnine

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to have 'vent' only? That is no AC or Heat, just outside air.

When I have the AC off, only using fan, the compressor still comes on sometimes, almost seems random, but definitely comes on.

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to have 'vent' only? That is no AC or Heat, just outside air.

When I have the AC off, only using fan, the compressor still comes on sometimes, almost seems random, but definitely comes on.
Did you click the button to the right of the left thermostat that allows outside air. If it’s turning on it may be on auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parnine

Reaction score
If you are talking about 'recirculate', that was off. Here is a pic of the settings. Should this be 'vent' mode?
IMG_7335.jpg

parnine

Reaction score
I do not have the air seats so no 'seat coolers'. I have heated seats and they were off.

These AC systems are a poor design, as documented in the multilpe AC threads, and now it seems there is no actual 'vent' setting.

I'm hoping others who have attempted to have fresh 'vent' air can chime in on how their trucks opearate to see if this is unique to my truck or 'how the AC systems works'.

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
I do not have the air seats so no 'seat coolers'. I have heated seats and they were off.

These AC systems are a poor design, as documented in the multilpe AC threads, and now it seems there is no actual 'vent' setting.

I'm hoping others who have attempted to have fresh 'vent' air can chime in on how their trucks opearate to see if this is unique to my truck or 'how the AC systems works'.
9a16cd16ca5b884ac8e849e8f05c098a.jpg

Not sure then. This is mine on vent. Switched it over for the photo and the truck immediately started pulling outside air. No AC.

parnine

Reaction score
Thanks. That would be the same configuration. Would you mind switching it over and then leaving it on 'vent' for say 15 min and see what happens, if the compressor comes on?

On mine the compressor comes on 'periodically' (I've not done extensive testing as it only got cooler here recently where I would use the vent), it is not an 'instant on' or 'on all the time thing'. I called a dealer who blabbered something about 'that is normal so it does not get "Too Hot" ', which makes zero sense to me.

69Sting

Reaction score
I am very curious on this too. I like to kick my panorama roof to tilt mode and allow air to flow through the vents. Anytime time I try, it is either heat or cool. Maybe @RamCares can chime in on this and offer a tid bit of info.

George Bednar

Reaction score
I am very curious on this too. I like to kick my panorama roof to tilt mode and allow air to flow through the vents. Anytime time I try, it is either heat or cool. Maybe @RamCares can chime in on this and offer a tid bit of info.
I just came back from lunch and I tried this on the way home and back to the plant. I put my fan speed on high and had the temperature control all the way down. I did not have the AC or the Heat on and it felt like the air coming out was at ambient temperature. Hope this helps.

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
Thanks. That would be the same configuration. Would you mind switching it over and then leaving it on 'vent' for say 15 min and see what happens, if the compressor comes on?

On mine the compressor comes on 'periodically' (I've not done extensive testing as it only got cooler here recently where I would use the vent), it is not an 'instant on' or 'on all the time thing'. I called a dealer who blabbered something about 'that is normal so it does not get "Too Hot" ', which makes zero sense to me.

Ok tried it 30 min commute to work. 1. The compressor did not turn on under same settings. 2. The air coming through was warmer than the outside. Number two is odd never had a truck do that before. I’m guessing it’s a closed vent pulling from interior of truck. I don’t know. If the outside air is cold I expect the air being pulled into the truck via the fan should also be cold.

parnine

Reaction score
To all who have responded - Much Thanks for trying and sharing feedback!

What I gather is that there are issue with the heater core door, of how the air flows over the heater core, when it should not, (thus all the AC Hack and Poor AC threads on 5thGenForums) and that is why the air is warm, and maybe why the dealer service tech said AC would come on periodically so it does not get 'too hot' (still sounds like BS to me, especially since in my case the outside air temp was 76 degrees).

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
To all who have responded - Much Thanks for trying and sharing feedback!

What I gather is that there are issue with the heater core door, of how the air flows over the heater core, when it should not, (thus all the AC Hack and Poor AC threads on 5thGenForums) and that is why the air is warm, and maybe why the dealer service tech said AC would come on periodically so it does not get 'too hot' (still sounds like BS to me, especially since in my case the outside air temp was 76 degrees).

That makes sense. I would guess if the interior temp climbed it would have turned on. I think you nailed it. I also noticed yesterday for the first time that my AC was struggling to keep the cab cool. First day here in Cali where the temp go up to 105. I have tinted windows. So I can’t imagine how much hotter it would have been.

Fidomac

Reaction score
That makes sense. I would guess if the interior temp climbed it would have turned on. I think you nailed it. I also noticed yesterday for the first time that my AC was struggling to keep the cab cool. First day here in Cali where the temp go up to 105. I have tinted windows. So I can’t imagine how much hotter it would have been.

there is a service bulletin for poor AC performance that I think is some sort of a computer reprogramming ......I had this done and it did help my AC

Techguy2000

Reaction score
All the previous posters saying that heat is stuck on in all cases are correct as that is why the AC is not cooling down to what it could either.

Ram wont fix this, the test specifications for the AC system are what most of us are getting out of the vent while the heater is getting air flow through it, so its "per spec". Doesnt make it right, but there is nothing to fix until ram releases a new spec, which would require some type of fix to support that.

Users who are viewing this thread