5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to disable horn on cold start

Mactionj74

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2020 Ram 1500. How do you disable the double beep when using the cold start feature?

Thanks!

bucolic

Reaction score
Thank you for wanting to disable the horn. It seems most people are okay with that annoying feature turned on. :LOL:
I can't see my truck from the window at work but can hear the horn. The horn with remote start lets me know it received the signal and will be nice and warm for me when I leave to go home. Without it I would have to walk about 200 feet to open the door to confirm it started and why would my lazy a** want to do that 🥱:)

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't see my truck from the window at work but can hear the horn. The horn with remote start lets me know it received the signal and will be nice and warm for me when I leave to go home. Without it I would have to walk about 200 feet to open the door to confirm it started and why would my lazy a** want to do that 🥱:)
IMO, it should be illegal for vehicles to make the confirmation/notification sounds at the vehicle, the confirmations (beep or vibration or LED flash) should ONLY ever happen at the fob or phone in the user's hand, whether during remote start or locking/unlocking the doors or whatever.
Because in most neighborhoods the damn horn toot wakes up somebody in the surrounding houses. There's always somebody doing shift work, or somebody that's having trouble sleeping, or an old person, or a sick person, or a fussy baby that fought sleep for an hour and just drifted off, and waking those people up at the wrong time can F'up their next 24 hours of life, or the parents', or the spouse's.
I know I sound like an a'hole, but it's truly inconsiderate to risk waking up ANYONE with the damn horn toots. Were I king, that crap would end on my first day as king, and manufacturers would have to redesign their fobs & phone apps to NEVER make noise at the vehicle itself, only a noise/vibration at the handheld device doing the remote start/lock/etc. Then I'd force them to recall every vehicle/fob/phone-app and correct that design flaw.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
IMO, it should be illegal for vehicles to make the confirmation/notification sounds at the vehicle, the confirmations (beep or vibration or LED flash) should ONLY ever happen at the fob or phone in the user's hand, whether during remote start or locking/unlocking the doors or whatever.
Because in most neighborhoods the damn horn toot wakes up somebody in the surrounding houses. There's always somebody doing shift work, or somebody that's having trouble sleeping, or an old person, or a sick person, or a fussy baby that fought sleep for an hour and just drifted off, and waking those people up at the wrong time can F'up their next 24 hours of life, or the parents', or the spouse's.
I know I sound like an a'hole, but it's truly inconsiderate to risk waking up ANYONE with the damn horn toots. Were I king, that crap would end on my first day as king, and manufacturers would have to redesign their fobs & phone apps to NEVER make noise at the vehicle itself, only a noise/vibration at the handheld device doing the remote start/lock/etc. Then I'd force them to recall every vehicle/fob/phone-app and correct that design flaw.
Tell us how you really feel. :giggle:

We had a 2009 Camry and it took the dealer scan tool to shut that stuff off. I was working at Toyota at the time, so I muted all of them. I was glad I did, too. We took that car camping at Zion and at night when everyone is locking up, the campground was filled with beeps and chirps.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tell us how you really feel. :giggle:

We had a 2009 Camry and it took the dealer scan tool to shut that stuff off. I was working at Toyota at the time, so I muted all of them. I was glad I did, too. We took that car camping at Zion and at night when everyone is locking up, the campground was filled with beeps and chirps.
my 4R does that and instead of turning it off i just use the key to lock it before I go to bed when I go camping.

Dewey

Reaction score
Thank you for wanting to disable the horn. It seems most people are okay with that annoying feature turned on. :LOL:
Agree. I also did my part and bought a Tazer to eliminate the 3 honks when exiting my truck with the keys. That was annoying as hell. Sucks I had to buy a Tazer to turn that off on my 2022.🤬

bucolic

Reaction score
LOL this is great!

Well, we better not stop with this horn-toot! Let's keep going!
1. Disable all vehicle horns so they do not function below 20-MPH. That way when Johnny pulls up next door to pick up Suzie he can't toot the horn to let her know he is there. Just get out and walk up to the door. Also, when leaving after a visit no more friendly toot toot to say see you next time.

2. Exhaust. All TRX's, Raptors (my neighbor has a Raptor and that certainly is much louder than a toot toot. I hear it every morning at 6:25 AM), or any other loud exhaust vehicle should have a dual note exhaust that does not allow the loud exhaust to activate by GPS coordinates in any residential neighborhoods.

3. Motorcycles. All should be as quiet as a singer sewing machine.

4. Lawn care equipment. Don't know how to solve this one! I guess put in a rock garden...just put the rock garden in quietly:)

5. Vehicle stereos. If I can hear it outside the vehicle it's too loud.

6. Wood splitting. That darn sledge hitting the wedge wakes me up.

I say this all in jest but honestly...that toot-toot from the remote start is the least contributor to noise pollution in my neighborhood!

CLECSoft

Reaction score
I get on my wife for using the remote to lock her car when she could do as I do, hit the lock just before I shut the driver door. I do not like the honk but do see where it can add convenience.

As a libertarian I must always resist the idea that good conduct should be enforced by force of law.
Noise ordinances do NOT cover temporal noises even if loud as long as they are not deemed abusive under the reasonable person legal standard.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No honk on remote start so the neighborhood goes from calm and peaceful to loud v8 noises!

Also only honks on second lock since I’m normally close enough to hear the locks engaging when I lock the truck, oh and I guess it’s more “neighbor friendly”

I do like the triple honk feature for accidentally leaving the keys in the truck, I use the door button more than the fob to lock so sometimes I forget the keys aren’t in my pocket

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
LOL this is great!

Well, we better not stop with this horn-toot! Let's keep going!
1. Disable all vehicle horns so they do not function below 20-MPH. That way when Johnny pulls up next door to pick up Suzie he can't toot the horn to let her know he is there. Just get out and walk up to the door. Also, when leaving after a visit no more friendly toot toot to say see you next time.
I can honestly say that I never pulled up to a girls house and honked the horn for her to come out. I might have been a long haired degenerate back in the day but I was respectful enough to knock on the door, face her parents and stand up to any interrogation that they should rightfully have upon seeing me. 😆

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I could never stand that honk. Every vehicle I have ever owned with remote start I always disabled it if I could. It comes down to being courteous. I work evenings/ nights and my harley sounds like a big block Chevy so I get a little speed as easily as i can and then shut it off a few houses down and coast my way up my driveway so I do wake up the neighbors. I try anyways

bucolic

Reaction score
I can honestly say that I never pulled up to a girls house and honked the horn for her to come out. I might have been a long haired degenerate back in the day but I was respectful enough to knock on the door, face her parents and stand up to any interrogation that they should rightfully have upon seeing me. 😆
Oh heck, we did it all the time. Pull up to my girl's house to pick her up...beep beep.

Pull up to my buddy's house to pick them up to go to school beep beep.

Buddy pulls up to my house to pick me up to go bowling...beep beep.

Driving down the road and see a friend walking his dog...beep beep and a wave or shout out the window.

Driving past a friend's house and see his dad out raking the lawn...beep beep and a wave and shout out "how's it hanging Mr. Hakes?" and he yells back "lower than yours for sure".

It's a sad world where the friendly beep beep is canceled :(

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get on my wife for using the remote to lock her car when she could do as I do, hit the lock just before I shut the driver door. I do not like the honk but do see where it can add convenience.

As a libertarian I must always resist the idea that good conduct should be enforced by force of law.
Noise ordinances do NOT cover temporal noises even if loud as long as they are not deemed abusive under the reasonable person legal standard.
I agree that civility, courteousness and responsibility should be the norm, so we can get by with as few laws as possible.
To me, the horn-toot confirmation notification is pure laziness on the part of the automotive designers. If they had put the confirmation-of-action indicators in the fobs themselves from the get-go, something they EASILY could have done, this wouldn't even be a topic of discussion. Unfortunately, the bozos didn't think that far ahead, which was unfortunate. Now, combine that poor design with the fact that the majority of Americans don't seem to use their brains very much, and courteousness is only practiced by maybe a third of Americans or so, we've got a bit of a problem with waking up the neighbors, hundreds of thousands of times per day, I'd wager.

CLECSoft

Reaction score
I agree that civility, courteousness and responsibility should be the norm, so we can get by with as few laws as possible.
To me, the horn-toot confirmation notification is pure laziness on the part of the automotive designers. If they had put the confirmation-of-action indicators in the fobs themselves from the get-go, something they EASILY could have done, this wouldn't even be a topic of discussion. Unfortunately, the bozos didn't think that far ahead, which was unfortunate. Now, combine that poor design with the fact that the majority of Americans don't seem to use their brains very much, and courteousness is only practiced by maybe a third of Americans or so, we've got a bit of a problem with waking up the neighbors, hundreds of thousands of times per day, I'd wager.
With my older cars even with Nav you could get through initial settings quite easily.
This morning I tried to help my young niece setup her rental Sonata and there was no sense of how many different levels of menus you had to go through to change any settings.
I wanted to just pull the car forward a few yards to make loading easier and the push button shifter auto engages the parking brake and I could not figure out how to turn it off and had to put on my belt for those 9 feet. Poor design.

LouNY

Reaction score
Oh heck, we did it all the time. Pull up to my girl's house to pick her up...beep beep.

Pull up to my buddy's house to pick them up to go to school beep beep.

Buddy pulls up to my house to pick me up to go bowling...beep beep.

Driving down the road and see a friend walking his dog...beep beep and a wave or shout out the window.

Driving past a friend's house and see his dad out raking the lawn...beep beep and a wave and shout out "how's it hanging Mr. Hakes?" and he yells back "lower than yours for sure".

It's a sad world where the friendly beep beep is canceled :(

I don't care for all the horn tooting on door locking or unlocking and I have mine turned off.
As far as the friendly toot that doesn't bother me.
HOWEVER, when my girls were young and boys were calling the girls had been forewarned that they would NOT be going
to answer any horn tooting, only ONE person would respond to those and that would be me, and at the time it was a 250# former Marine
that walked out with a 12 guage and asked if there legs were broke or were they just being rude little bastards.
Out of 5 girls it only had to happen twice 🤬

Users who are viewing this thread