5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to deal with truck religion

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A guy was eyeballing my truck as I came back out to it so we talked a little and I showed him a few things. Went down the first rabbit hole of him saying, "I could never drive a Dodge." To which I replied, "me either." The look of surprise on his face was priceless. I then said, "show me the word 'Dodge' anywhere on this thing."Life's too short to get hung up on if folks want to call it a Dodge or a Ram, but here's the fun part.

He prepared to leave and said, "nice truck, but me and my family only drive Fords."

I responded, "Well I picked the best truck at the time. I can't imagine ever swearing loyalty to a for-profit corporation."

He looked like I just kicked his dog. I guess he never thought about how brand loyalty and faceless corporation loyalty are basically the same thing.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If Ford came out with a amazing truck that looked great I would buy it. Unfortunately I am stuck with my Ford F550 (F53) chassis for my motorhome as Ram nor GM make a class A chassis. I would love to upgrade to a Freightliner if I had a few extra 100K laying around.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
A guy was eyeballing my truck as I came back out to it so we talked a little and I showed him a few things. Went down the first rabbit hole of him saying, "I could never drive a Dodge." To which I replied, "me either." The look of surprise on his face was priceless. I then said, "show me the word 'Dodge' anywhere on this thing."Life's too short to get hung up on if folks want to call it a Dodge or a Ram, but here's the fun part.

He prepared to leave and said, "nice truck, but me and my family only drive Fords."

I responded, "Well I picked the best truck at the time. I can't imagine ever swearing loyalty to a for-profit corporation."

He looked like I just kicked his dog. I guess he never thought about how brand loyalty and faceless corporation loyalty are basically the same thing.

Had to change my like to a love it!!!!

I love BMW quality, I LOVE MY 2019 RAM!!!

I love getting the best I can for my green money<----that color challenges loyalty in most situations....then again--->

Even loyalty cost.....the price = "loyalty" from the other side "insert name/spouse/family etc" here.

Excellent post Edwards!!!

drstein

Reaction score
Never wanted a Doge either. Last 4 vehicles were BMW leases. Been to the Welt in Munich, love BMW. However, this time BMW dlrs were not receptive. Mgrs at 3 dlrs were useless. I should chase them for a 65 - 75 k vehicle ?? No thank you. Thought maybe a truck. Did some research, went and looked, they were extremely receptive and willing to deal. bought it the same day. Love this Ram truck !!

Gardner

Reaction score
I have no brand loyalty anymore. Cars owned: 60 Studebaker Lark, 68 Chevelle SS, 60 VW, 66 Impala, 72 Ford Galaxy, 78 Chrysler "Cardboarda" , 84 Buick Regal, 84 Ford short bed flareside, '77 Thunderbird, 82 Toyota, 82 AMC Spirit, 91 Buick Lesabre, 91 Cadillac, 97 Cadillac, 1994 Chevy shortbed stepside, 2002 Chevy shortbed, 2010 Cadillac SRX and now my 2019 Bighorn.

The newer models were all better than the older ones, but none were terrible for their own era - except possibly the 78 Cardoba - it was a lean-burn and wouldn't pull the proverbial greasy string out of you-know-where. And, the 2010 Caddy SRX had major and minor problems that happened immediately after the warranty expired. I feel mistreated by GM So, did not include them when I shopped for my new truck.

So far, Happy with my Ram and don't care if somebody calls it a Dodge. Cruising in my Bighorn feels like I'm in a bank vault, on a cloud.

---------------------------------------------------

2019 Bighorn Crew cab, 4x4, 3.21 rear and the usual standard stuff. Build date was 11/18.
Options: Delmonico Red, Cloth buckets, level 2 equip package (8.4 in screen and other stuff).
5.7 Hemi, Ram SS running boards and also, an after market American tonneau fabric cover.

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with everything but why the for-profit comment? Ram works the same way.

Agreed. There are folks just as religious about Dodge/Ram so you'll never see a brand use this in a competitive way. It cuts both ways. They want religion about their products and to discredit it about others.
I was just going after the brand loyalty part because in the south so many folks swear by it, like it's part of their identity. Once you make the connection to a corporation that doesn't always (usually?) have your best interest at heart it changes up the dynamic - and the conversation.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Agree fully. I just picked the best truck I could find, regardless of brand.

I really like the Ford body style, but their interiors are dated. They do have a few things I had on my Mercedes which I do miss on my RAM, like massage seats and power adjustable steering. That being said, the RAM is so much better in just about everything else.

For me, the interior, ride quality (and air suspension), and just overall feeling of luxury that the F-150 lacks in current form. I also do love the body styling, it's just so friggin awesome looking.

I've owned two Chevy 1500s years ago. I would not purchase one today (really dislike the styling, both inside and out).

All this could change, and it would have to be drastic, for me to move to a Ford or Chevy, but it could happen.

Cheers,

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Never wanted a Doge either. Last 4 vehicles were BMW leases. Been to the Welt in Munich, love BMW. However, this time BMW dlrs were not receptive. Mgrs at 3 dlrs were useless. I should chase them for a 65 - 75 k vehicle ?? No thank you. Thought maybe a truck. Did some research, went and looked, they were extremely receptive and willing to deal. bought it the same day. Love this Ram truck !!

Same exact reason we switched to Audi. When the latest X5 came out, we drove to that same dealer in our Q7 to take the X5 for a test drive. Afterwards, we pretty much stood around bagging on it. I am SOOOO glad we left bloated bmw behind. Their cars have become boats and their SUV cruise ships.

Cptcoolie

Reaction score
Brand loyalty is a religion for me...but that brand is "me and my family". Sure, if you sell me a good quality product, that makes me feel I got good value for my money...I will put you at the top of my list the next time I need that type of product again. However, that does not guarantee you the next sale as I like to look at all the options. As I stated in a previous post somewhere on this forum, I was planning to buy a GMC truck when I went truck shopping. I was replacing a 2000 Yukon XL that provided me 19 years of economical service and is still providing that to my daughter. However, I did go out and test drive the big 3 trucks (Ford, GMC/Chevy, Ram), and Ram easily provided me what I perceive as the best bang for my bucks. I love my Ram and if it provides me the same or better experience as my Yukon XL did, then it will be at the top of my list...however, when that time comes, if Ram let's another truck kick them in the butt (Like Ram did Ford and GMC/Chevy this time around), then I may end up with something else. If GMC would have been close (in my opinion) to the Ram then I would have went with them because of my past experience. But so far, I am glad the Ram was better, cause I love this truck!

BTW I like the response the OP had for that gentleman...lol.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Good post. I spent some amount of years in the 'loyalty' camp ... GM in particular. Eventually it hit me that no brand has that same loyalty to ME, so why be dogmatic about it? And yes, it didn't hurt that I finally drove a Dodge Viper after owning a half dozen Corvettes. I was instantly hooked! Now I just go with what puts the biggest smile on my face. Gotta earn it.

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
Grew up in a Ford house hold (Dad always had a 76 F150 growing up, Mom had a 90S F150, now has a 15,
I owned a 14 Fx2 Tremor then a 16 Mustang GT/CS before sadly realizing a truck was more practical for my lifestyle,

I was looking at F150s but the Pricing and the lack of V8's and anything less than a crewcab sort of threw me off,

I don't know what made me look at a Ram dealer one day with my Dad, maybe its because I don't care for Chevy at all (styling is just bland for me)

The interior of the Ram blew me away as did the exterior styling, Even my Dad agreed it was a good looking truck,

The lifetime warranty I got just sealed the deal as well as the pricing for my quad Rebel,

But even as a kid I've always liked Dodge Muscle cars

As for the region aspect, Hell I'll crack jokes about Mopar quality at my own expense just like I cracked it about Ford,

I'm far from a religous nut, and the people who are, are hard to talk to.

Motorcycles on the other hand, I'm a Euro Snob ;)

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
You can't.

Brand loyalty can be irrational but the brands count on it. Not just cars and trucks, but oil and gasoline and jeans and shoes and even fast food.

Me? I don't have brand loyalty as much as I have brand hatreds for various reasons.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I grew up on Chevy my entire life (except for a Buick Regal I learned to drive in - which beat the snot out of other cars around the area at the time). Then when Chevy got rid of the Camaro, and then went "bankrupt" .. I really didn't give two thoughts any longer. I always look for a vehicle that fits my needs and looks good (and has the HP to get me around with some fun). I've had a few other brands because I just couldn't pass up the deal (eg. my '99 Cobra. Kid at work was paying so much for insurance, that I got a steal on it and still have it in my garage today).

thebigalboski

Reaction score
My last 5 vehicles:
Jeep
Ram
Tundra
Silverado
Ram

Brand and dealership loyalty is for suckers. That said, Ram makes the nicest truck out there right now, so I bought one.

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
heck 10 years ago id never thought id have an american car, now I have 3 of them. American cars have dramatically improved over the years

976-HIKE

Reaction score
Ya some guy told me he liked some baseball team, it was his favorite team, he even was wearing a jersey. I was like "duh I like whatever team is winning, you're stupid." He walked away confused but I think he learned his lesson about liking one thing more than another after I totally laid it out for him.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Ya some guy told me he liked some baseball team, it was his favorite team, he even was wearing a jersey. I was like "duh I like whatever team is winning, you're stupid." He walked away confused but I think he learned his lesson about liking one thing more than another after I totally laid it out for him.
::D

Users who are viewing this thread