5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to change the oil???

nilidool

Reaction score
He should have used the plastic bag trick on the oil filter.

I tried this but once it starts to get loose and a little oil spills out, I lost all grip and just gave up. It got everywhere! I was one mad mother trucker! Any tips on this method would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Honestly, I love working on my truck, but doing oil changes is just not worth if for me. Once I use up the ”free” oil changes for two years are over, I will take it to my mechanic and let him deal with this messy job.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I tried this but once it starts to get loose and a little oil spills out, I lost all grip and just gave up. It got everywhere! I was one mad mother trucker! Any tips on this method would be appreciated.

I used a large quart zip lock bag that large enough to cover the filter completely. When you loosen the filter, don't unscrew too far even if it's a little bit tight still, get the clean bag over the filter and then you should be fine.

You need to use both hands to do this, you need to position your body so that's possible.

Razilla76

Reaction score
Get a Fumoto drain valve. They offer different variations. I’d recommend a Fumoto F-106S. Has a short nipple that you can attach a 3/8” hose to. $28.95 on their website.

577efb40575b2e620a2673bdfa76de78.jpg

rsmeanie

Reaction score
Get a Fumoto drain valve. They offer different variations. I’d recommend a Fumoto F-106S. Has a short nipple that you can attach a 3/8” hose to. $28.95 on their website.

577efb40575b2e620a2673bdfa76de78.jpg

The F-106SX is a better fit. I just installed it this weekend on its first oil change. The front sway bar is right in front of the drain plug and doesn’t leave a lot of room. ****ty design, the oil stream hits the bar and splash’s all over.

d650fe5b4c2dc14bbbee95df5289fe70.jpg

Razilla76

Reaction score
The F-106SX is a better fit. I just installed it this weekend on its first oil change. The front sway bar is right in front of the drain plug and doesn’t leave a lot of room. ****ty design, the oil stream hits the bar and splash’s all over.

d650fe5b4c2dc14bbbee95df5289fe70.jpg

Glad you told me that. Doesn’t look like the sway bar would leave much room to attach thehose. I was just about to order the 106S...will be ordering the 106SX now.

ram0686

Reaction score
Let me tell you...... I found out the hard way this weekend about that damn sway bar!!!! F-106SX is getting ordered right now.

Also did FCA hire a gorilla to put the factory oil filters on. WOW.

Last edited:

rsmeanie

Reaction score
Let me tell you...... I found out the hard way this weekend about that damn sway bar!!!! F-106SX is getting ordered right now.

Also did FCA hire a gorilla to put the factory oil filters on. WOW.

I was planning to do it myself in the driveway but I needed a larger drain pan since the one I have is a 7 qt capacity. While heading to the store, I thought about it and decided see if a local shop could do it instead. I'm glad I did. They used a wide drain pan and it still splashed a bunch because of the sway bar. Also, the filter was on super tight. If I was doing it while laying on my back, I might not have had enough room for leverage. Now that the Fumoto valve is on and the filter only hand tight, I'll do them myself at home.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I was planning to do it myself in the driveway but I needed a larger drain pan since the one I have is a 7 qt capacity. While heading to the store, I thought about it and decided see if a local shop could do it instead. I'm glad I did. They used a wide drain pan and it still splashed a bunch because of the sway bar. Also, the filter was on super tight. If I was doing it while laying on my back, I might not have had enough room for leverage. Now that the Fumoto valve is on and the filter only hand tight, I'll do them myself at home.
Ensure you put a BIG tarp underneath everything. It all means nothing if you get your driveway stained with oil, which you will never ever be able to remove.

dsn112

Reaction score
Honestly I just pump the oil out from the top. Its easier on me, my back, and no mess. I then take a solo cup and after loosening the filter with my claw tool, I put the solo cup around the filter and spin it off catching all the oil.

cipherbreak

Reaction score
Ensure you put a BIG tarp underneath everything. It all means nothing if you get your driveway stained with oil, which you will never ever be able to remove.

You can absolutely remove oil stains from a concrete driveway with some degreaser and a pressure washer, but preventing the spill is easier.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
You can absolutely remove oil stains from a concrete driveway with some degreaser and a pressure washer, but preventing the spill is easier.
You can to an extent, but not all of it. The stain will always be there (I used to clean driveways professionally years ago), even with pro cleaning products, I was never able to fully remove an oil stain...

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
or this.. or cut up a cheap transmission funnel...or bend up a turkey/baking pan (just like @SD Rebel 's foil idea)

another edit - oh yeah, and the solo-cup around the oil filter method or even add a gallon ziplock around that

AndreiV

Reaction score
I did 1st oil change in the garage, crawling under, without raising my truck. 2nd oil change I did on the inclined driveway and bringing front wheels on the Rhino ramps. Huge difference and the room to access all components and overall experience, and 2nd change was spill free.

dsn112

Reaction score
I use the form a funnel to get the filter out on my wifes Infiniti. It is side mounted and over the frame. These engineers don't think about stuff like this.

The form a funnel does work great though.

Users who are viewing this thread