5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How screwed am I? Leaks…

Jcalton

Reaction score
So I’m aware of the rear window leak but I thought that was primarily near the sliding glass.

My truck was parked for about 3 months just because I didn’t need to go anywhere or if I did we took a different vehicle. Live in Florida so hot and humid of course.

I go to unlock the truck one day and battery is dead. So I get a new battery, replace it and when I go to start the truck there’s mold everywhere on the seats and carpet.

I cleaned it up as thoroughly as I could. Vinegar, steam, lots of vacuuming. Ozone treatment. While I was cleaning I found the moisture, the passenger front floorboard was soaked. Pulled up the carpet and tons of water there. Dry it all, put fans in to dry the interior out, leave windows open on the hot dry days. Then I let it sit again to see if any mold would come back checking it every few days. I also checked the ac drain and the drains at the hood cowl to make sure those weren’t the cause of the leak. Both seem fine but cleared them anyway.

All looked clear a couple weeks ago so I went for a drive. While out I noticed one of my headlights the low beam wasn’t working. Came home and pulled the bulb, swapped it to the driver side and low beam worked fine. Put the driver side bulb in the passenger and not working. Ok, so some electrical issue.

Then I noticed the cluster info screen was stuck on the tire pressure page. The dashes at the bottom to change pages aren’t there and it’s not responding to input. If I hit cruise control it shows that so the screen itself is fine. Start checking other stuff out and the driver side door speakers don’t work.

Only thing I can figure is moisture has corroded some connections. I did try disconnecting the battery for a day hoping it would help. It did not.

So today I’m back out there, we’ve had lots of rain in the afternoons. Passenger floorboard is soaked again. Follow water up the passenger side under the wire looms to the b pillar. No noticeable signs of water further back from there. But I did see water coming in on the top left (if looking from inside the cab) of the rear window.

So… it may all be from there but I couldn’t find where it’s running from there to the front. I do park on an incline so water would run to the front.

Truck is a 2019, bought new and has 43,000 miles on it. So out of warranty for sure…. The leak, mold and water problem I think are fixable if costly. Not sure about the weird electronic issues. That much moisture during that time inside the truck I feel like I’ll be chasing gremlins for the rest of the trucks life.

There’s a good bit of surface rust on the metal components under the seats. I can only imagine what all those connections look like.

cerbo

Reaction score
Subscribed. This is my worst fear with my new 2024. Doesn t inspire Ram confidence that they can t keep the cab dry!
I d probably dump it. Keep us posted.
BTW/ I did reseal my rear glass myself for precaution .

yellowboy

Reaction score
There is 10 year extended warranty on the window and brake light . I would get it fixed and then dump it these trucks are junk

cerbo

Reaction score
I also can t find out "for sure" if the issue was fixed and what year.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also can t find out "for sure" if the issue was fixed and what year.
I don't think the issue was ever truly fixed, aside from the latest TSB in which they added sealant to it vs replacing it (which is what many of us did with Permatex).
So I’m aware of the rear window leak but I thought that was primarily near the sliding glass.

My truck was parked for about 3 months just because I didn’t need to go anywhere or if I did we took a different vehicle. Live in Florida so hot and humid of course.

I go to unlock the truck one day and battery is dead. So I get a new battery, replace it and when I go to start the truck there’s mold everywhere on the seats and carpet.

I cleaned it up as thoroughly as I could. Vinegar, steam, lots of vacuuming. Ozone treatment. While I was cleaning I found the moisture, the passenger front floorboard was soaked. Pulled up the carpet and tons of water there. Dry it all, put fans in to dry the interior out, leave windows open on the hot dry days. Then I let it sit again to see if any mold would come back checking it every few days. I also checked the ac drain and the drains at the hood cowl to make sure those weren’t the cause of the leak. Both seem fine but cleared them anyway.

All looked clear a couple weeks ago so I went for a drive. While out I noticed one of my headlights the low beam wasn’t working. Came home and pulled the bulb, swapped it to the driver side and low beam worked fine. Put the driver side bulb in the passenger and not working. Ok, so some electrical issue.

Then I noticed the cluster info screen was stuck on the tire pressure page. The dashes at the bottom to change pages aren’t there and it’s not responding to input. If I hit cruise control it shows that so the screen itself is fine. Start checking other stuff out and the driver side door speakers don’t work.

Only thing I can figure is moisture has corroded some connections. I did try disconnecting the battery for a day hoping it would help. It did not.

So today I’m back out there, we’ve had lots of rain in the afternoons. Passenger floorboard is soaked again. Follow water up the passenger side under the wire looms to the b pillar. No noticeable signs of water further back from there. But I did see water coming in on the top left (if looking from inside the cab) of the rear window.

So… it may all be from there but I couldn’t find where it’s running from there to the front. I do park on an incline so water would run to the front.

Truck is a 2019, bought new and has 43,000 miles on it. So out of warranty for sure…. The leak, mold and water problem I think are fixable if costly. Not sure about the weird electronic issues. That much moisture during that time inside the truck I feel like I’ll be chasing gremlins for the rest of the trucks life.

There’s a good bit of surface rust on the metal components under the seats. I can only imagine what all those connections look like.
Clean it up good and trade it. No other option in my book.

That, and drive the next one! I rarely drive mine but it's garaged and I try to take it somewhere at least every other week...

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

Could be the rear window, CHMSL, shark fin, or separation of the cab in the corners. I permatex’d all of it

Jcalton

Reaction score
I don't think the issue was ever truly fixed, aside from the latest TSB in which they added sealant to it vs replacing it (which is what many of us did with Permatex).

Clean it up good and trade it. No other option in my book.

That, and drive the next one! I rarely drive mine but it's garaged and I try to take it somewhere at least every other week...
I normally do drive it at least weekly. The 3 months I was working crazy hours (work from home) so typically if I was going somewhere it’d be the whole family and not everyone fits in the truck.

I’ll be giving it another deep cleaning. Sad, other than this it was a solid truck and very well taken care of.

Users who are viewing this thread