5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How reliable are 4th gen Dodge Ram 1500’s?

coreystol61

Reaction score
I’m looking into buying a 2nd truck, just so I can have that second vehicle on hand. My daily driver is a Silverado 2500, and it’s great. But since this is a second vehicle, I think I’m going to buy a used 1500. I’ve seen a lot of Ram 1500s and f150s, but very few GM trucks. I’ve had my experiences with Ford, so I’m not really exited about getting one of them. So with that being said, how reliable are 4th gen Dodge Ram 1500? (Specifically a 2012). I could list all the details about the truck, but I’m just wondering how reliable they are in general. Tweakbox

Last edited:

1Mopar

Reaction score
I had a 4th generation ram 1500 (2009). Traded it in at 255,000 miles. Best truck I have ever owed. I hope my 5th generation 1500 is as good.

Mate514

Reaction score
Never had an issue with my 2015 exept for the air ride in colder temp. They are good trucks.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
8 speed is a solid transmission. they run a fluid heater on them, so trans temps will throw you for a loop at first if you ever watch that sort of thing.

the hemi has been a tested and reliable motor for years. they love to pop manifold bolts and the exhaust will leak. a small percentage have lifter problems, but i don’t know the prevalence of that issue. i had 2 4th gens for a combined 80k miles and loved them both. first was a 5.7/545re single cab. second was a 5.7/8spd (8HP70 i think) and i loved them both. my second 4th gen was a quad cab, my 5th gen is a crew. i miss my quad cab but have a baby on the way, really love the new 5th gen. towed a lot with that truck, camped in the shell on the back, brought it lots of places.

i think you’d find a 4th gen to handle the role you need to fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2014 quad cab 3.6 V6 and it was a solid truck. Only had it 5 years and 50,000miles but had zero problems a d loved the truck.

Rexx

Reaction score
I had a 2013 sport, drove it for 3 years and 50k, sold it to my dad who drove it 4 years and another 50k. He sold it to my brother in law, he’s had it a little over a year, another 20k.

Truck has been solid throughout minus some issues with the 8.4 inch screen that have mostly been solved the last 3-4 years.

tim7139

Reaction score
2013 and newer have good reliability and parts interchangeability. 2012 and earlier have more limited parts interchange, and a few more known quirks.

tim7139

Reaction score
Chev/GM 1500, gen Ford F150, and 4th gen RAM 1500 have similar reliability ratings and expected life spans.

I find Chev/GM to lag behind seat comfort, RAM having a slight on road ride/handing advantage, Ford being in the middle.

Chev and Ford forums have a few engines they'd recommend people avoid, but both RAM options are well liked even though Hemi lifters get discussed a lot. Ford head units and other tech features like to die a bit quicker.

1A auto does videos on the top 5 common issues on each.

Ramjack

Reaction score
It's an FCA product. Reliability is not high on the list.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should add my BIL has a 2014 quad cab BH with the 3.6 and 200,000+ miles (lots of highway but also town and hunting trips) Hasn't had any issues other than general maintenance.

KeithStone76

Reaction score
Should add my BIL has a 2014 quad cab BH with the 3.6 and 200,000+ miles (lots of highway but also town and hunting trips) Hasn't had any issues other than general maintenance.
I was going to mention if this is a second vehicle, definitely take a look at the pentastar engine. It's a great engine for a 6 cylinder. I don't tow heavy and the 3.6 works great for me. I'd buy another.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not many bugs left in a late model 4th gen. I miss my 2017 Tradesman Express, still kicking myself a year and half later for trading it

popcenator

Reaction score
I had a 2012 and the only part about the truck that may be considered a weak point is the 65RFE transmission. The overdrive clutches burn out with heavy abuse. If you're going to keep it stock there's nothing much to worry about there. Maintain the vehicle and it'll keep performing well. I had about 100K on mine when I traded it in and the only reason I traded it was because of the issue I mentioned with the transmission, but I'll admit that it was my doing since I added a higher stall converter and really had fun with the truck. The shop I had rebuilt it really didn't know what they were doing and after a few more failures I had them get it back together enough to get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Guys, he really doesn't care about the reliability. He has one post, hasn't been back to the forum since 3 days after posting this question, and has a spammy-looking link in his only post.

Might be nice for the mods to delete this thread and possibly prevent new forum members from adding links to their message until they've been here a while and have some sort of reputation.

KeithStone76

Reaction score
Guys, he really doesn't care about the reliability. He has one post, hasn't been back to the forum since 3 days after posting this question, and has a spammy-looking link in his only post.

Might be nice for the mods to delete this thread and possibly prevent new forum members from adding links to their message until they've been here a while and have some sort of reputation.
What in the hell is Tweakbox anyway?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread