5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much weight can I put in the bed of my truck

jljbtm

Reaction score
Trucks really aren't Trucks anymore. Now I might show my age but my first truck was a Chevy K20 3/4 Ton Silverado and i Loaded it with all kinds of wood all the time and once had 44 sheets of 1/2 drywall on it, yea it squated a little but it managed it very well and you cant do it in any similar truck today. Trucks were Trucks, today the frame equivalent is like an old Buick. My opinion of course.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Trucks really aren't Trucks anymore. Now I might show my age but my first truck was a Chevy K20 3/4 Ton Silverado and i Loaded it with all kinds of wood all the time and once had 44 sheets of 1/2 drywall on it, yea it squated a little but it managed it very well and you cant do it in any similar truck today. Trucks were Trucks, today the frame equivalent is like an old Buick. My opinion of course.
you had a 3/4 ton much different than the current 1500's

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It seems the air suspension throws a code at 2000lbs.
It didn't throw a code, it put a Air suspension disabled due to payload in the EVIC. Which is why I said to make sure you raise it to normal beforehand. If you leave it in entry exit it will stay there and you'll likely bottom out the air system under load which is not good.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It didn't throw a code, it put a Air suspension disabled due to payload in the EVIC. Which is why I said to make sure you raise it to normal beforehand. If you leave it in entry exit it will stay there and you'll likely bottom out the air system under load which is not good.
I was just mentioning what others had said theirs did. I thought I was trying to help this guy...I should have just stayed away.

I gave him the facts. Someone said we didnt answer his question...so I tried to explain more.

That is all

I thought we did a pretty good job...thanks for the info.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was just mentioning what others had said theirs did. I thought I was trying to help this guy...I should have just stayed away.

I gave him the facts. Someone said we didnt answer his question...so I tried to explain more.

That is all

I thought we did a pretty good job...thanks for the info.
You did fine. It's a matter of verbiage. Code, notice, warning. It lets us know we have maxed out.

Last edited:

jljbtm

Reaction score
why so many people drive these trucks around with NOTHING in them? If you only need it once in a while you'd be better off renting a truck and for the same money driving around in a Corvette of something better

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

You sure about that? Modern 3/5 ton trucks can haul more than they did years past if you look at the specs.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
why so many people drive these trucks around with NOTHING in them? If you only need it once in a while you'd be better off renting a truck and for the same money driving around in a Corvette of something better
Why not? They are comfortable highway cruisers and I don't fit in a corvette. Vettes also can't pull my trailer and they like to get friendly with the ditch here in Canadian winters.

Better question: why would anybody spend that kind of money on cramped tin box that only works on pavement on sunny days?

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why not? They are comfortable highway cruisers and I don't fit in a corvette. Vettes also can't pull my trailer and they like to get friendly with the ditch here in Canadian winters.

Better question: why would anybody spend that kind of money on cramped tin box that only works on pavement on sunny days?

Haha yeah that's a bit of a short sighted statement, I love corvettes as much as anyone else and would love to have one. However, between our weather and quality (or lack of) of the roads, a corvette would be a horrible choice for a daily driver around here.

Oh that and needing room for more than one passenger. There's a reason why not many use them as a daily driver, the ram on the other hand still may not be practical for many as a daily driver, but way more practical/versatile than a sports car.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You did fine. It's a matter of verbiage. Code, notice, warning. It lets us know we have maxed out.
I've gotten the same light going through deep water ( long story there ). It's some kind of physical level sensor.

No one is mad at you. There's plenty of things people can do that isn't "safe" but is still "ok". But there are limits and caveats with them. You can plug a sidewall in an emergency. If it holds, it holds, if it doesn't its still flat. Same with overloading the bed. Just don't expect to go do a track day or do highway traffic safely. It's a temporary thing. Someone else won't plug it for you because its on them if it blows out. I've personally run a plugged sideall for 50,000 miles. Stopped worrying after the first hundred, if it holds air and isn't getting worse its ok.

And I also agree with you, if it is something you need and can plan it's easy to grab a uhaul and mess that up rather than the nice truck.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got tired of my road eating cars. A TDi and 2 PHEV's and I gave in and got a truck. I tow a boat and haul a ton of tools and equipment so it was easier for me to justify.

The dirt pile in the center is nearly 2 ft high.
hBY43Zo.jpg

jljbtm

Reaction score
These trucks aren't trucks anymore, My 1st truck was an 1986 K20 and could haul about 45 sheets of drywall with no problem you just cant do that today.

Users who are viewing this thread