5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much oil you getting back from oil change?

Ch28

Reaction score
Just did my first oil change and the thing i noticed was that i only got about 6 quarts that drained back out. I know it takes 7 quarts, so is there that much that is in the filter? I mean the factory filter was a mess getting off so couldnt really judge how much was in there. It's just that every car I've had that say takes 5 qts, i get almost 5 qts drained back, or our town and country for example takes 6 qts. and i get right below 6 drained out. Why was it a quart low? First post by the way, thanks guys.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Just did my first oil change and the thing i noticed was that i only got about 6 quarts that drained back out. I know it takes 7 quarts, so is there that much that is in the filter? I mean the factory filter was a mess getting off so couldnt really judge how much was in there. It's just that every car I've had that say takes 5 qts, i get almost 5 qts drained back, or our town and country for example takes 6 qts. and i get right below 6 drained out. Why was it a quart low? First post by the way, thanks guys.

Could be few different things:
#1) normal Oil consumption during brake-in period
#2) it might take less than 7qts of oil to refill due to some oil left in the system.

When I did my oil change i did not measure how much came out. But i only put 6.5 qts in- first I put 6qts in, measured with dipstick, put another 0.5in and measured again. After few days of driving i measured again and did not add anything.
I recommend not just dumping 7 qts in, do 6-6.5 qts and then go by dipstick level after established temperature for measurement.

Ch28

Reaction score
Could be few different things:
#1) normal Oil consumption during brake-in period
#2) it might take less than 7qts of oil to refill due to some oil left in the system.

When I did my oil change i did not measure how much came out. But i only put 6.5 qts in- first I put 6qts in, measured with dipstick, put another 0.5in and measured again. After few days of driving i measured again and did not add anything.
I recommend not just dumping 7 qts in, do 6-6.5 qts and then go by dipstick level after established temperature for measurement.

Yes i did that. 6qts, then worked up to about 6.75, but man clean oil is sometimes hard to read on dipsticks

jmr

Reaction score
I've had the 1st oil change at 3,500 miles from the dealer and yesterday I changed it myself at 7,700 miles.
I drained out 7 quarts which I thought was out standing....hopefully the dealer that did the 1st oil change didn't overfill it.
The oil put in was Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-20 oil instead of the dealers semi-synthetic oil.

Compared to my 2016 5.7 RAM seems like the 2019 oil filter is still a messy job.
Using a cutoff soda bottle didn't work taking when removing the filter to cramped to fit.
I put rags on top on the steering rack to catch the oil when removing the filter.
On ramps when the drain plug was removed it dumped oil onto the front swaybar making for a splashy mess. lol

I changed it at 56% oil life and that was 4,200 miles on the oil using full synthetic I can easily go 6,000 miles before the next change.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread