5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much lift?

MacDiarmada

Reaction score
Does anybody know of a way to figure out how much is needed to clear a given tire diameter? I have a ‘22 Power Wagon, AEV Katla 17x10 wheels, and 12.5x37 Nitto Terra Grapler G2s. On the stock truck, they hit the lower outer corner of the wheel well, that small piece of plastic trim. I don’t want to buy and instal a lift only to find that it’s not enough, I also don’t want too much lift. How can I determine the right amount of lift? Thanks!

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A good way to "test" is to jack the truck up a little bit at a time and turn the wheels to see if there is any contact anywhere. For example, go up an inch, check it. Go up another, check it.
This can be done on flat ground for "general driving" clearance but doesn't help with contact during articulation. For that you have to be a bit more creative on how to safely simulate those conditions while also being able to jack it up a little at a time.

Otherwise you can do what I do when I'm looking at lifts and tires and nerd out on it. Take some measurements in various positions with your current configuration. Then you can calculate what changes you may want to make and what clearance will be gained/lost based on those changes. You'll need to do some trigonometry but it's a way to get the job done without physically jacking the truck up or flexing the suspension.

TCB77

Reaction score
Does anybody know of a way to figure out how much is needed to clear a given tire diameter? I have a ‘22 Power Wagon, AEV Katla 17x10 wheels, and 12.5x37 Nitto Terra Grapler G2s. On the stock truck, they hit the lower outer corner of the wheel well, that small piece of plastic trim. I don’t want to buy and instal a lift only to find that it’s not enough, I also don’t want too much lift. How can I determine the right amount of lift? Thanks!
I would contact Carli Suspension or Cjc off-road. They will know exactly what you need.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m thinking if you go with an 8” lift, you don’t have to measure. You know, killing two birds with one stone and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread