5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much have you spent on mods?

FishOn

Reaction score
6" Coilovers with DSCs, BDS UCAs, Fox shocks, wheels and tires - $9500
Audio upgrade - $1600
F/R bumpers and steps - $2000
Aux Lighting - $800
Pulsar, CAI, Exhaust - $1200
Brakes - $400

I hope I just made some of you feel better....

Wsmith

Reaction score
Just under 2G on mine. This is my car, I don't need lifts or off road tires. I love the quiet composed ride, no loud exhaust for me. I will buy an extended warranty soon, so double the number.

FishOn

Reaction score
All in all, I think I could have bought a decent used Tacoma for what I've dumped into the Dragon. But then I'd have a stock Ram and a stock used Tacoma... What fun is that?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All in all, I think I could have bought a decent used Tacoma for what I've dumped into the Dragon. But then I'd have a stock Ram and a stock used Tacoma... What fun is that?
Lol yea $30k for a used Tacoma with 50k miles...no thanks.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just under 2G on mine. This is my car, I don't need lifts or off road tires. I love the quiet composed ride, no loud exhaust for me. I will buy an extended warranty soon, so double the number.
I know what you mean...I ended up with AT tires since we go camping off of snowy off road trails but no off road package or lifts for me either.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
2 weeks of ownership:

Husky Liners - 130
LED headlight and Foglights - 100
Hard Gator Bed cover - 650
Tazer DT - 280

So yeah, it's adding up.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Zero - vehicles depreciate big time the day you drive off the lot, no point in putting more money into a losing proposition.

Fishwiz

Reaction score
Zero - vehicles depreciate big time the day you drive off the lot, no point in putting more money into a losing proposition.
You're right about depreciation, but if truely minimizing your cost of ownership was the goal you should'nt be buying new vehicles (or nearly new). Why not buy a base model vehicle that's many years older?... I'll bet you come out ahead financially with an older car, but we all have our reasons for driving newer cars and that comes at a price.

At least part of our vehicle purchase (in almost every case) is enjoyment/luxury/convenience, along with the part that is attributed to the necessity of traveling from place to place. Since 100% of the vehicle is succeptible to depreciation, some of depreciation that is from the necessary cost of ownership and the rest is depreciation of luxury/optional money that was spent by choice.

What's the difference of spending money on aftermarket parts vs buying a higher trim level truck with more options? It all depreciates and no sane person would consider it an investment. Do you have ANY options on your truck, or is it absolutely the most basic vehicle that satisfies your transportation needs?

Edit- I just noticed that you drive a limited... Clearly you have features that are well above the minimum required for transportation, and you choose to pay for that level of truck. Based on your original logic, every dollar you spend above the cost of an ultra-basic work-truck is money that shouldn't have been spent on a "loosing proposition".

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'm at around $1,300, including Hellwig, Pedal Commander, three front speakers, LEDs for cargo/brake lights, dash cam, etc.
Not too bad for 2.5 year ownership, considering the benefits.

Cheers,

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What? Lol. The point of adding something to a truck is because we need or like them. Has nothing to do with adding value. Maybe a bed liner or something will add a little value but that's not the sole purpose.

BNeal

Reaction score
Only thing I have added is the Bakflip. I will tint the front windows, and probably do film on the front bumper and hood. But that's probably where I will stop. I bought a $73k truck - I pretty much have all I need/want.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I’m around $9,000 now and it’s well worth it IMHO. Not only is it my daily driver, it’s also now my adventure machine to get off-road, explore, camp, mountain bike, dirt bike, hike, etc. That’s no losing proposition in my book!

Skater

Reaction score
While I have done just about everything I intend to do to my Ram, I am really waiting to see RamVader's response in this thread. He has some really cool lights in his wheel wells and behind his grill, and he had done just about everything to his Ram that I have listed below which I did to mine. I didn't feel like searching for receipts, so my figures are rounded to what I believe are reasonably close costs to actual for each mod.

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 5.25.07 PM.png

Last edited:

BNeal

Reaction score
While I have done just about everything I intend to do to my Ram, I am really waiting to see RamVader's response in this thread. He has some really cool lights in his wheel wells and behind his grill, and he had done just about everything to his Ram that I have listed below which I did to mine. I didn't feel like searching for receipts, so my figures are rounded to what I believe are reasonably close costs to actual for each mode.
Skater, How is that CarPlay2 Air working out? I would love to get one, but have seen a lot of mixed reviews.

Skater

Reaction score
Skater, How is that CarPlay2 Air working out? I would love to get one, but have seen a lot of mixed reviews.
It works great, with two exceptions. When it gets over 95 degrees outside causing the interior temp to be over 110 it takes a long time to connect and sometimes I have to unplug it and plug it back in once it cools down. The only other issue I’ve had is that on rare occasions it takes 10-15 seconds to connect to my iPhone. However, for the most part it works great. I recommend it.

BNeal

Reaction score
It works great, with two exceptions. When it gets over 95 degrees outside causing the interior temp to be over 110 it takes a long time to connect and sometimes I have to unplug it and plug it back in once it cools down. The only other issue I’ve had is that on rare occasions it takes 10-15 seconds to connect to my iPhone. However, for the most part it works great. I recommend it.
Thanks for the info, Skater. I'm in Texas as well, so will just have to deal with the heat thing, but I am going to grab me one of those. My BMW had wireless Apple Play and now I'm spoiled!

Users who are viewing this thread