5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much blow by is too much?

whetrick1

Reaction score
The sintered brass filter nut? I don't think that needs cleaning but gasoline would be a good solvent

Or you can try spray carb cleaner or brake cleaner. Both will wash the steel filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryan28

Reaction score
So the overall number of catch can users is a very small percentage of hemi owners. With that being the case, with all that nasty oil doing such horrific things to the non-catch can engines you'd think there'd be hemi powered vehicles dead and littering the roads. But it's not the case. Sure the catch can does what it claims to do and catches oil. But it's apparently not crucial to the life of a hemi engine.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's not crucial, but it is beneficial

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Somebody did the math once; it's like washing off a drop of oil with 50 gallons of gas, or something to that effect. And gas is a great washing fluid if you've ever used it for cleaning paint brushes or something.

Completely pointless to worry about IMO.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
Here's a question... What is the maintenance alternative if you don't run a catch can? When build up occurs, how can it be cleaned and is that cost/energy/time more or less than running a catch can?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They will still do this. My 6.4L used to fill the can so quickly in the winter because it's mostly water vapour. It would then start very rough, twice it blew the dip stick out after a very rough start.

After that, it went in the garbage. It's my opinion that catch cans are just hype. Sure, they catch some oil. But is it harming anything going back into the engine? No. There's a million hemis on the road running just fine without them.

I installed a mishimoto the other day on my truck. I know in the past on my cars when my catch can freezes in the winter it screws everything up and dumps oil like crazy and smokes. Same thing on these trucks or does the pcv bypass?

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I did some digging and it seems that about a plastic bottle capful every 500 miles or so. Consider that capful is mixed with what 20 gallons of gas (yes less gas as you drive) that means a drop or two gets mixed with say a gallon of fuel and then sprayed threw the injector. It is probable that over time and many miles that there is some build up. Again how long before you would knew of any difference in performance with the heim, might be hard to tell. Also if it takes 5 years or more, will you still have the truck then? Yes it is say a couple hundred dolllars if you go with a good one, but when you see what people are spending on their trucks why not? Then there is the issue of draining the catch can say every 1000 miles or so. Depends on how maintenance minded you are. But if you check your oil then you could just empty the can at that time. Just my two cents

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s about keeping chamber clean, that’s it. At least for me. For the long haul of ownership and things that will be done when out of warranty. Gas doesn’t wash it away in chamber. It’s actually part of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread