5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much are you guys paying for oil changes?

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I typically do my own oil changes and have no issue doing them. However, with the oil change in these 5th gens being a PITA I'm really considering having the dealership handle all of my oil changes on the Ram. I'm taking it to have my first one done for free soon.

With that being said - what kind of prices are you guys paying? I'd be happy to get this coupon but I see it says it extra for our trucks. Any idea how much more they charge?

669880D7-4859-4675-BDC6-EE361C7AD400.jpeg

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just got my oil changed yesterday.

- $90 for redline oil (at 45% sale price too!)
- royal purple oil filter ($20 off amazon)
- $43 for labour

So, $153? CAD prices, I'm in Ontario.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I typically do my own oil changes and have no issue doing them. However, with the oil change in these 5th gens being a PITA I'm really considering having the dealership handle all of my oil changes on the Ram. I'm taking it to have my first one done for free soon.

With that being said - what kind of prices are you guys paying? I'd be happy to get this coupon but I see it says it extra for our trucks. Any idea how much more they charge?

View attachment 60313
I don't think you could go wrong with the package of three even with the extra 2qt upcharge. I would be curious as to what kind of oil they are using.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think you could go wrong with the package of three even with the extra 2qt upcharge. I would be curious as to what kind of oil they are using.

I've heard the dealers use Penzoil Ultra Platinum but I'll confirm it with my local dealer when I take it in.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard the dealers use Penzoil Ultra Platinum but I'll confirm it with my local dealer when I take it in.
If that's the case AND you are getting a Mopar filter then that's a pretty good deal IMO plus you don't have to deal with the mess.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's the factory that ships the vehicle with Pennzoil Platinum. The dealers just use synthetic blend (at best) and won't tell you what brand it is...usually it's whatever is cheapest since they buy in huge bulk. I hate changing the oil in my Ram because of the oil filter...but I like knowing exactly what's going into the engine. $100 for 3 is a good deal...until they add the $20 charge for the extra 2 quarts for each oil change.

tigercat74

Reaction score
Only had one done so far and the dealership did it for free. I would definitely look into that 3 for $100.

ekimboy

Reaction score
I get the 5qt jug olf Mobile 1 from Advance for 35 bucks when they have the free filter deal. I try for the KN filter but sometimes get Mobile 1. Then I ll go to the oil change quicky lube and pay 30 for the change

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get the 5qt jug olf Mobile 1 from Advance for 35 bucks when they have the free filter deal. I try for the KN filter but sometimes get Mobile 1. Then I ll go to the oil change quicky lube and pay 30 for the change
Places like that have a knack for stripping oil drain bolts...they should pay you for doing the oil change for ya lol

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Most local dealers are anywhere from $65 to $100 depending on the oil used. My only issue right now is that they are spraying interiors with some sort of disinfectant, which I don't want. Like spraying Lysol on my dash and seats, not really interested in that.

DIY was $25 per 5 quart jug of Shell Rotella 5W-20 Synthetic Gas Truck oil, $10 for the Mopar filter, all at Wallyworld.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most local dealers are anywhere from $65 to $100 depending on the oil used. My only issue right now is that they are spraying interiors with some sort of disinfectant, which I don't want. Like spraying Lysol on my dash and seats, not really interesting in that.

DIY was $25 per 5 quart jug of Shell Rotella 5W-20 Synthetic Gas Truck oil, $10 for the Mopar filter, all at Wallyworld.
Think I'd rather stick with DIY...and Tough Guard Fram filters lol.

Thr33BlindMice

Reaction score
I go to my guy for $15 labor, my parts. This includes oil change, filter change, water coolant refill, tire rotations and psi check. Cant beat this deal...no reasons for me to do it myself. Then again, I've been going to him for the last 15 years...he does all my family's cars.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I go to my guy for $15 labor, my parts. This includes oil change, filter change, water coolant refill, tire rotations and psi check. Cant beat this deal...no reasons for me to do it myself. Then again, I've been going to him for the last 15 years...he does all my family's cars.
Nice! I had a mechanic like that for a few years until I moved outta NH...never found a mechanic I trusted as much since then.....except for myself lol

Users who are viewing this thread