5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long to drive to fully charge battery?

DraKhen99

Reaction score
When I got my truck, I was putting over 1,000 per month on my truck. Since March, I haven't driven a lot (600-700 miles, total), like a lot of others.

Lately, my truck has required me to start the engine to lower the truck, instead of lowering via the key fob.

So, my question is this: How long do you have to drive the truck to fully charge the battery? I took it into the dealer for a water leak (turns out my 3rd brake light was the culprit), and they recommended plugging it into a battery tender when I can. I do not have a garage - my truck sits outside, so I don't want to leave the tender plugged in all the time.

Thanks!

-John

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It probably takes a solid half hour to get a full charge driving at normal speed. Recently had the third light leak myself, mind blowing that it's still happening. The person who chose that gasket material should have their head removed

DraKhen99

Reaction score
It probably takes a solid half hour to get a full charge driving at normal speed. Recently had the third light leak myself, mind blowing that it's still happening. The person who chose that gasket material should have their head removed

I agree. I'm still waiting on the dealership to call me and tell me my truck is ready. Luckily, I was able to combine this service visit with a 6-month oil change & tire rotation and upgraded software for all the modules.

Thanks for the info. on the full charge. It's rare these days that I drive the truck that long. Guess I'll be running a cord out to the truck once a week to top off the battery with my 3-amp tender.

-John

DraKhen99

Reaction score
OK, about 3 hours ago I connected my 3A battery charger to the truck... and it's still not to 80% charged?

What gives? Shouldn't it be fully charged by now? I drove the truck about a half hour combined on Saturday, but only drove it Monday for 2 miles. I changed the hookup so the negative cable isn't connected directly to the battery - it's now on a nut that a ground wire goes to, as seen below...

(Click on images for full-size, these are only thumbnails attached to this post)

Here is the tender/charger I'm using:
Deltran Battery Charger and Maintainer - 3 Amp.jpg

Here's how I HAD it hooked up (battery pos + neg posts):
Charger connected to 2019 RAM 1500 Battery ONLY.jpg

How it's hooked up now (pos. terminal and ground nut):
Charger connected to 2019 RAM 1500 Battery AND Ground.jpg

Thanks,

-John

79 300

Reaction score
I put a 2 amp battery tender on my Challenger ( that rarely gets driven ) and it will take 8 hours or so to fully charge it. A 12 amp charger will usually do it in an hour or 2.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I put a 2 amp battery tender on my Challenger ( that rarely gets driven ) and it will take 8 hours or so to fully charge it. A 12 amp charger will usually do it in an hour or 2.

That's good to know, thanks!

The other day, I plugged the same charger into my wife's Escape (probably a much smaller battery), and it was fully charged in a couple of hours. On her car, the negative (black) battery terminal is not accessible (the freakin' battery is halfway UNDER the windshield, and blocked by several other components, so I dread having to replace it), so I connected to the positive (red) terminal and an exposed ground nut (the same as the 3rd pic in my above post).

Do you think the battery charger is more effective/efficient when connected to a ground nut as opposed to the negative terminal?

-John

Drewster

Reaction score
That's good to know, thanks!

The other day, I plugged the same charger into my wife's Escape (probably a much smaller battery), and it was fully charged in a couple of hours. On her car, the negative (black) battery terminal is not accessible (the freakin' battery is halfway UNDER the windshield, and blocked by several other components, so I dread having to replace it), so I connected to the positive (red) terminal and an exposed ground nut (the same as the 3rd pic in my above post).

Do you think the battery charger is more effective/efficient when connected to a ground nut as opposed to the negative terminal?

-John

They do that because you're supposed to ground at the engine when jump-starting a car. For charging the battery, just pick some clean, grounded metal that's as close to the battery as possible.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
They do that because you're supposed to ground at the engine when jump-starting a car. For charging the battery, just pick some clean, grounded metal that's as close to the battery as possible.

Thanks! I figured it would be OK either connected on both battery posts or the pos. batt. term. and a ground nut close-by, seeing as how when you hook a tender to a motorcycle, the pos. and neg. cables are directly connected to the m/c's battery.

FWIW, I went out an after after posting and the tender/charger said my truck's battery was at least 80% charged, so at least I know it was making progress LOL.

-John

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah those little 2-3A tenders aren't really meant to charge a battery to full, even though they can do it (as you're proving). They're meant to be put on and left to keep the battery in a ready state, like a stored motorcycle, boat, vehicle, etc. Can you shut the hood with the extension cord running to the truck (maybe through the grill)? That way you can leave it hooked up until you're ready to go somewhere, although you would need to make sure you don't forget to unplug it.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you advise what fuse or wire you tapped? Looks good!
When I got my truck, I was putting over 1,000 per month on my truck. Since March, I haven't driven a lot (600-700 miles, total), like a lot of others.

Lately, my truck has required me to start the engine to lower the truck, instead of lowering via the key fob.

So, my question is this: How long do you have to drive the truck to fully charge the battery? I took it into the dealer for a water leak (turns out my 3rd brake light was the culprit), and they recommended plugging it into a battery tender when I can. I do not have a garage - my truck sits outside, so I don't want to leave the tender plugged in all the time.

Thanks!

-John

Try this

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Thanks all - yes, I can leave it plugged in. I am currently teleworking, so about once a week (weather permitting), I'll go out and plug it in and close the hood for the day. I typically drive once a day, for about 2 miles (to pick up my kids from their daycare 1 mile away LOL).

As for the solar panel, I have one for my Harley, and it works great.

I don't mind it taking its time... but I did find that Deltran makes a switchable amperage charger/tender - 2A, 8A and 15A ... the latter two for cars and trucks :) May have to get one... but first I gotta fix my air compressor. I went out yesterday to pump up the tires in our car and truck and the danged thing wouldn't hold pressure - the relief valve won't fully close, ugh!

-John

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Those short trips are going to be murder on your oil with potential moisture build up. Try and take a longer trip to the daycare once and a while to get your oil up to temperature

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Those short trips are going to be murder on your oil with potential moisture build up. Try and take a longer trip to the daycare once and a while to get your oil up to temperature

Tell me about it! Poor truck went from 60 miles per day driven to 2. Once a week I try to drive at least 20-30 mins each way somewhere, but if I'm not taking the kids with me, I'm on my bike :D

As part of the dealer paying down my loan percentage (didn't know they could do that!), I bought their maintenance program, figuring on at least 35k miles in 3 years... so now she gets an oil change every 6 months whether she needs it or not.

-John

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tell me about it! Poor truck went from 60 miles per day driven to 2. Once a week I try to drive at least 20-30 mins each way somewhere, but if I'm not taking the kids with me, I'm on my bike :D

As part of the dealer paying down my loan percentage (didn't know they could do that!), I bought their maintenance program, figuring on at least 35k miles in 3 years... so now she gets an oil change every 6 months whether she needs it or not.

-John
Hey I'd trade you. I've put over 10k miles on this truck in 8 months. Daycare is near my office, but it went from being 40 miles round trip for a normal work day to 80 miles since I am working from home now.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have an 85AH battery ( my 2020 Longhorn came with a 85 AH AGM ) you have to put 85+ amps back into it. You lose a lot to heat. On a 3 amp charger, you are looking at days.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Hey I'd trade you. I've put over 10k miles on this truck in 8 months. Daycare is near my office, but it went from being 40 miles round trip for a normal work day to 80 miles since I am working from home now.

Ouch, but I'll keep my setup - more time on the bike! I went so long between 1/2 hour drives that the first time I did, I had trouble changing stuff on the touch screen without becoming too distracted LOL. I have since driven more, but I am really more comfortable on my Harley :D

If you have an 85AH battery ( my 2020 Longhorn came with a 85 AH AGM ) you have to put 85+ amps back into it. You lose a lot to heat. On a 3 amp charger, you are looking at days.

Ugh, days would suck. I figure it's about 6 hours from the level after a week of 2 miles per day, to full charge. My battery looks like a regular one, not AGM, but I am not 100% sure of this.

-John

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my AGM looks like this
battery-jpg.53494

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Not quite battery-related, but related to the service appointment where my battery was replaced. I don't know where to share this (does this forum have a dedicated place to share this stuff?), but I made a video after I got my truck back from having the 3rd brake light replaced to fix a leak... and then I washed & spray waxed the truck :D

Enjoy!

-John

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also the stock FCA IMS battery charging rate when it does deem you worthy to charge the battery is only 500ma. The highest you can set it ( with alpha OBD ) is 2500ma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online