5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how hard to install readylift kit?

jthorn75

Reaction score
all the local shops around me are charging 650+ which is the cost of a full suspension lift, i believe this is too expensive, so i was wondering for those whom installed the kit themselves, was it an easy install?

Reaction score
I was quoted the same. Decided i'll just do it my self next weekend. Between the provided instructions and the video on youtube from RealTruck it doesn't look terribly hard at all. Will be a littler harder without a lift, but i'll manage. Doing the 3.5" SST lift without preload spacer, bilstein 5100 fronts at #4 setting(6112 still not available), bilstein 5160 rears and 295/65/r20 Toyo Open Country AT3s.

jthorn75

Reaction score
I was quoted the same. Decided i'll just do it my self next weekend. Between the provided instructions and the video on youtube from RealTruck it doesn't look terribly hard at all. Will be a littler harder without a lift, but i'll manage. Doing the 3.5" SST lift without preload spacer, bilstein 5100 fronts at #4 setting(6112 still not available), bilstein 5160 rears and 295/65/r20 Toyo Open Country AT3s.
Sounds like your doing exactly what I was planning on... lol look forward to your feedback

Scoot332002

Reaction score
I installed mine yesterday. Took about 5 hours taking my time. The video was very helpful. I got the Off Road Package springs instead of using the preload spacer. Bilsteins would take too long to get for me.

jthorn75

Reaction score
I installed mine yesterday. Took about 5 hours taking my time. The video was very helpful. I got the Off Road Package springs instead of using the preload spacer. Bilsteins would take too long to get for me.
well how was the install? hard?easy?

ArtieD

Reaction score
all the local shops around me are charging 650+ which is the cost of a full suspension lift, i believe this is too expensive, so i was wondering for those whom installed the kit themselves, was it an easy install?
Yes It is pretty easy if you are used to solving minor problems ( there was a thread here where someone snapped one of the strut top bolts, the torque wrench was off) and have a couple of floor jacks and stands which will cut your time down,
and if you have a harbor freight close by they have a set of spring compressors for 40 bucks and they work! you can put your preloads in easily , But you will have to align it for $200 and when I lifted my f150 the first couple alignment shops did not want to align it because they did not do the work , and 3 to 5 hrs of your time , These are the things I thought about ,is 650 really that much, it killed me to pay that also , but it came out great ,
I was more worried about them scratching my truck paint or getting grease on the seat than the actual work , That is the main reason I would do it myself

Scoot332002

Reaction score
well how was the install? hard?easy?
I would say it was easier than I expected. My truck has less than 5k miles on so everything came apart easily. As ArtieD said, your local harbor freight is your friend. An impact and several wrenches and sockets are needed. The video lists most sizes you’ll need. It also wasn’t my first lift I’ve done. If you’re a bit mechanically inclined, then go for it!

jthorn75

Reaction score
I would say it was easier than I expected. My truck has less than 5k miles on so everything came apart easily. As ArtieD said, your local harbor freight is your friend. An impact and several wrenches and sockets are needed. The video lists most sizes you’ll need. It also wasn’t my first lift I’ve done. If you’re a bit mechanically inclined, then go for it!
sweet, i think this is something i could do for sure then

Users who are viewing this thread