5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does the new parking brake work?

Z mann R2

Reaction score
These new brakes are pretty badass but it got me wondering. How does it engage?? Because when I am parked on a hill with my foot depressed on the brake and then I engage parking brake, I feel the brake pedal push in. Is it using the actual brakes and not just the standard parking brake most cars have?? If so that’s pretty awesome.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These new brakes are pretty badass but it got me wondering. How does it engage?? Because when I am parked on a hill with my foot depressed on the brake and then I engage parking brake, I feel the brake pedal push in. Is it using the actual brakes and not just the standard parking brake most cars have?? If so that’s pretty awesome.
What makes them cool is it's an electronic system. It doesn't rely on a manual switch that pulls cables to lock up the pads. I was sceptical at first but my hope is that the system will hold up better over time than a conventional system that puts a lot of strain on cables. I have my e-brake set to auto engage on all the time and never had issues.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Is it using the actual brakes and not just the standard parking brake most cars have?? If so that’s pretty awesome.

Exactly right. The rear service brake pads are held fast to the rotor by a motor-driven actuator that has excellent mechanical leverage.
You should be able to hear the motors engage the brakes if you're in a quiet area with the window down.
Word of caution: if you get curious, as I did, and want to experience parking brake application while moving very slowly, be prepared for a sudden stop.

Steve

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I *LOVE* the parking brake setup. Living here in the mountains, I continually kill my parking brakes. Not only just from regular use, but also (and mostly) from forgetting that it's on. I never have that problem with any of my hand-brake parking brakes in my manual cars, but with automatics and foot pedal brakes I always forget they're on. With the Ram, I never have to think about it except if I try to take off without putting my seat belt on. Beyond that, I love that this thing takes care of that for me.

With a manual, your mindset is always using the parking brake and most manuals have a hand parking brake so it's right there in your face. With an automatic, you just don't think about it - or at least I don't. I think I redid the parking brake on my Titan twice and the cable was stretched at the end of its life the last time I had it done, so next time would mean replacing the cable.

If this one uses the actual pads that's even better. On my Titan it had a pair of brake shoes inside the rear rotor, which had a drum on the back side of it. They were real spindly things and they wore out fast even if you didn't drive off with them on. And it made life a lot more complicated dealing with the rear brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread