5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does parksense function at stop lights?

Bitwise

Reaction score
What’s the approximate sensing range of the parksense detection? If you happen to pull up too close behind a vehicle at a stop light or another vehicle pulls up too close behind you, will you have to sit there and listen to the parksense chime until the light changes and you can move?

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
never happened to me at a stop light, but i go to a hangar quite often and have to get very close to where i can swipe a proximity card on the door sensor, the entire times i am sitting there, the sensors keep yelling. (large hangar doors are notoriously slow to open, they are even slower when you are in a hurry)

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You'd have to get really close to the vehicle in front of you for it to go off. You should never be that close. But yes, you'd have to sit there and listen to it.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What’s the approximate sensing range of the parksense detection? If you happen to pull up too close behind a vehicle at a stop light or another vehicle pulls up too close behind you, will you have to sit there and listen to the parksense chime until the light changes and you can move?
If you get close enough yes. In normal traffic that hasn't happened to me, but it has happened in the drive through line and when I have to get close to something to scan my badge at work like @FirstTimeRamDriver does. The rear sensor shouldn't go off unless you're in reverse.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Front driver sensor goes off everytime I get to swipe station to leave parking garage at work

Only other time I really see it is parking at home. I need to get really close to fence or wife’s Jeep to properly fit both vehicles in.

We extended driveway by almost 4 feet, to get the back vehicle more space from driveway and to give us more room in winter. It still feels tight but I can at least walk between vehicles now

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like others have said you have to get REAL close to get the red warning...you can get the yellow but it is not annoying.

Never had anyone set off the rear sensor in traffic...was not even aware it would go off other than in reverse?

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like others have said you have to get REAL close to get the red warning...you can get the yellow but it is not annoying.

Never had anyone set off the rear sensor in traffic...was not even aware it would go off other than in reverse?

Oh they will all go off.....

There have been times when I start truck in the driveway and, even though I’m still in Park, they are all being triggered by the fence on one end, and Jeep on the other. Put it in drive, and the rears will still chirp/flash until I pull away from the fence.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing that I’ve noticed that’s really random with the rear ones.....

Tailgate down, 2 kayaks in bed and orange flag draped at the end of the kayaks (3 or so feet from the end of the tailgate), pretty much centered (or at least between the 2 kayak noses)

Sometimes the rear sensors go off and stay loud until I turn them off. And sometimes not a single beep.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh they will all go off.....

There have been times when I start truck in the driveway and, even though I’m still in Park, they are all being triggered by the fence on one end, and Jeep on the other. Put it in drive, and the rears will still chirp/flash until I pull away from the fence.

I believe your situation is why Ram gives you the option to turn them off. (y)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't chime at me when I'm sitting still, generally, but I'll get a couple of little beeps when pulling up to a drive-thru window. The system goes nuts when I'm pulling into my garage...but that's functioning as designed! I've been impressed with the side-to-side radar range when backing out of a driveway; it can "see" an approaching vehicle quite a ways down the street.

Wsmith

Reaction score
It doesn't chime at me when I'm sitting still, generally, but I'll get a couple of little beeps when pulling up to a drive-thru window. The system goes nuts when I'm pulling into my garage...but that's functioning as designed! I've been impressed with the side-to-side radar range when backing out of a driveway; it can "see" an approaching vehicle quite a ways down the street.
If you have cross path, that's likely what it is seeing. I only have park sense, about a three foot range seems to be its limit.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
Just verified today, if you are complete stop, they don’t chirp. Approaching the fence it will come on, come to stop with feet on brakes, no sound, start moving and it will start yelling again.

Users who are viewing this thread