5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I stop the truck from telling me I have a new text message?!?

hawkman248

Reaction score
I have a 2020 RAM Laramie Sport with the big screen. I quit using Android Auto and rely soley on the Bluetooth connection for making calls, listening to music or podcasts off my phone or iPad.

What annoys me so much is the voice announcement every time I get a new text!!! I would rather the truck not even have access to my texts. I simply don't need them read to me. I especially don't need a public announcement when I'm riding in the truck with a colleague. Either a) they don't need to hear I'm getting a message from my wife or b) they don't need to know my work business either. (One colleague in particular will immediately ask "What did X want?" or "Aren't you going to call X back?")

Also, the voice interupts me when I'm using voice-to-text to leave a message on my phone. And if it's a child of mine leaving a few messages in a row, I'll get interupted non-stop. Plus, the "truck's voice" gets recorded into my text b/c the microphone is on!!! I end up screaming at my truck to "F off" and that's not good.

I deleted my phone from the truck and then paired it again, but was given no option to allow or disallow access to contacts, texts, etc. I cannot find an option for it, either. It's driving me nuts.

Is there a solution, one that doesn't involve Android Auto (or Apple Car Play)?

hawkman248

Reaction score
I only use Bluetooth on android devices.
On your phone go into settings->devices->bluetooth->connect (or whatever you named your connection to your truck) and uncheck what you don't want it to have access to, in this case likely just text messages.
Darksteel, THANK YOU! I didn't think to look on the phone end (even though that's where the permission should come from!). I've turned off text messages and I'll look to see what happens next time I get a text...

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
I realize OP is using UC4 in a 2020, at least im assuming this.
Included among all the irregularities my UC5 system demonstrates on a daily basis, Im looking to stop, or at least understand, text interruptions with my iphone connection. Currently, text arrives and carplay pops up with the text list screen populating the whole screen. Music source is interrupted. My attention is taken from the road as i try to figure out what all is going on with this glitchy system this time. Certainly, it seems carplay wants to be the alpha app here :)
I wouldnt mind a timed popup notification letting me know i have a new text, but i dont see how to enable that.
Seems like every time i use my truck, this system acts differently. Im wondering if ill ever figure it out :)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Included among all the irregularities my UC5 system demonstrates on a daily basis, Im looking to stop, or at least understand, text interruptions with my iphone connection. Currently, text arrives and carplay pops up with the text list screen populating the whole screen. Music source is interrupted. My attention is taken from the road as i try to figure out what all is going on with this glitchy system this time. Certainly, it seems carplay wants to be the alpha app here :)
I wouldnt mind a timed popup notification letting me know i have a new text, but i dont see how to enable that.
Seems like every time i use my truck, this system acts differently. Im wondering if ill ever figure it out :)
That is carplay, which is handled by your phone not your truck. You don't need to use carplay, you can just use Bluetooth and disable texts if all you want is music.
I also believe there is some kind of driving mode you can enable on your iPhone so texts do not interrupt you while in motion (and it sends a text to the person who messaged you)

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

To stop text popups in Carplay go to your IPhone's settings and click "Notifications". Under Notification settings scroll down and click "Messages". Toggle off the "Show in CarPlay" option.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
To stop text popups in Carplay go to your IPhone's settings and click "Notifications". Under Notification settings scroll down and click "Messages". Toggle off the "Show in CarPlay" option.
Thanks DEG, ill try that !

Users who are viewing this thread