5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I get to the "outlet" location?

joemo

Reaction score
I have a 2020, it does not have the outlet like my new Rebel did (sold that one)
While adding an actual power outlet would be ideal, I am fine with just another "cig outlet". Basically, I want to tap into the exiting outlet on the top of my dash, and add an additional one down below.
The question I have is, how do I get this area out so I can access behind it to screw the new outlet in?
Do I need to remove the entire center console or does that little panel pop out (I am dreaming for simplicity)

I would REALLY love to add the 115v outlet but I doubt the wiring is there.

I also attached a photo of the outlet I am adding, it screws on from the back.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2127.JPG
    IMG_2127.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 89
  • SCR-20220807-p9l.png
    SCR-20220807-p9l.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 88
  • SCR-20220807-pae.png
    SCR-20220807-pae.png
    337.7 KB · Views: 88

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Attached are the instructions for removing the center stack/console. Instructions where from when I switched over to wireless charger unit. If you're interested, I still have my original unit and it does have the opening for the 110volt outlet. Attached is a picture of it, 1st mod I did to my truck so maybe it has 1000 miles on it?
Let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_5175.JPG
    IMG_5175.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Page 5.JPG
    Page 5.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Page 4.JPG
    Page 4.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Page 3.JPG
    Page 3.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Page 2.JPG
    Page 2.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Page 1.JPG
    Page 1.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 81

joemo

Reaction score
wow, thank you for those screens. I am still not sure how to actually add the outlet...
thanks

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the outlet connects to an inverter located elsewhere in the truck? Or is the inverter part of the 110v outlet itself?

This may require more parts than expected if the outlet requires a harness between the inverter and the outlet and maybe a harness or modifications to the existing harness to tap the inverter into it. It could also require programming and a fuse in the proper slot if not already present.

Or it could just require a switched 12v connection if the inverter is inside the outlet itself, which I am unsure of. Hopefully you can get this figured out.

joemo

Reaction score
That is what I am wondering too. I might be better off, tapping into the existing 12v at the top and adding a 2nd one down below and then just buying a very small actual inverter and putting it into the little hole in the back left of that area.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is what I am wondering too. I might be better off, tapping into the existing 12v at the top and adding a 2nd one down below and then just buying a very small actual inverter and putting it into the little hole in the back left of that area.
It looks to me like the OEM AC outlet has a set of switch contacts that turn on an inverter mounted somewhere else. So you should be able to "roll your own" using an inverter with remote on connections and appropriate battery and outlet wiring. Or maybe even add the factory parts if you can figure out what they are and where to put them.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I still have my original unit and it does have the opening for the 110volt outlet. Attached is a picture of it,
I might like to have that media port bezel if @joemo doesn't need it. I have other things in mind, like mounting CB radio in the CD player hole (which my '22 doesn't have). PM me if we can make a deal...

joemo

Reaction score
I might like to have that media port bezel if @joemo doesn't need it. I have other things in mind, like mounting CB radio in the CD player hole (which my '22 doesn't have). PM me if we can make a deal...
I am not in need of it at this time. I am still in the investigative period :)

rwo978

Reaction score
It’s my understanding that there’s 2 or 3 parts you need to add to get the 110v plugs to work, the actual inverter in the dash and one or two outlets (in console and/or back of console). The wiring plugs should be there all bundled/taped up inside these areas, they were for mine (BH LV2). It should be plug/play, and then flash the bcm to get that option turned on.

On that note, I have the inverter for inside the dash and just need the outlets. I tried to install the inverter in the dash today where I thought it should go and it looks like it should go elsewhere, as the holes don’t line up. Does anyone have any pics of where this goes in the dash?

rwo978

Reaction score
It’s my understanding that there’s 2 or 3 parts you need to add to get the 110v plugs to work, the actual inverter in the dash and one or two outlets (in console and/or back of console). The wiring plugs should be there all bundled/taped up inside these areas, they were for mine (BH LV2). It should be plug/play, and then flash the bcm to get that option turned on.

On that note, I have the inverter for inside the dash and just need the outlets. I tried to install the inverter in the dash today where I thought it should go and it looks like it should go elsewhere, as the holes don’t line up. Does anyone have any pics of where this goes in the dash?
Figured this out. Needed to go even down further into the dash than just on the surface.

Attachments

• C83D2170-2D8B-4966-866B-FE506196AEE5.jpeg
    C83D2170-2D8B-4966-866B-FE506196AEE5.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 49
  • C36972D7-5B79-4999-8921-57F08614210F.jpeg
    C36972D7-5B79-4999-8921-57F08614210F.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 49

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Figured this out. Needed to go even down further into the dash than just on the surface.
I have an inverter and outlets at the ready, but I couldn't find the loose connector for the inverter. I'm guessing it needs to be a Big Horn Level 2, not level 1. Did you have a photo showing where the wiring was? I found the mounting bracket, but no easily locatable wires with the correct connector.

Curlymurt

Reaction score
This is what I ended up doing. I bought a round cig outlet, drilled it in the same spot as you show inside the console. Works fine, except when kids need to plug in at the back seats.

joemo

Reaction score
This is what I ended up doing. I bought a round cig outlet, drilled it in the same spot as you show inside the console. Works fine, except when kids need to plug in at the back seats.
That is easy solution.. Add them to the arm rest on the back doors. You can tap right into the window switch. Took me about 1.5 hours to do both doors. Screenshots attached.

IMG_2124.JPG 68158847163__1419D241-BD95-4505-A197-F80C53153D2C.JPG

rwo978

Reaction score
I have an inverter and outlets at the ready, but I couldn't find the loose connector for the inverter. I'm guessing it needs to be a Big Horn Level 2, not level 1. Did you have a photo showing where the wiring was? I found the mounting bracket, but no easily locatable wires with the correct connector.

On the right side inside the dash, taped up around that cable with the 3 leads at the very forefront. Should feel like a bulge/plug under the tape.

Users who are viewing this thread