5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did you warranty your battery?

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Or did you? Google tells me it is covered, manual doesn't seem to say either way.

I went out to my truck tonight, and it was pretty damn dead. Like I could unlock it, but the gauges just went nuts with some clicking.

I have it on the charger now. I haven't driven it since at least Thursday, so I assume it was getting close and is now dead. Its on the charger as we speak.

Is it the usual story for a battery? Make an appointment, pay a prorated replacement cost, etc?

16 months old and 18K on the clock.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Or did you? Google tells me it is covered, manual doesn't seem to say either way.

I went out to my truck tonight, and it was pretty damn dead. Like I could unlock it, but the gauges just went nuts with some clicking.

I have it on the charger now. I haven't driven it since at least Thursday, so I assume it was getting close and is now dead. Its on the charger as we speak.

Is it the usual story for a battery? Make an appointment, pay a prorated replacement cost, etc?

to me not worth the hassle to have dealer replace with another factory battery that will crap out who knows when
I am partial to interstate at Costco

so when the time comes

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
to me not worth the hassle to have dealer replace with another factory battery that will crap out who knows when
I am partial to interstate at Costco

so when the time comes
That's what I did. Worth $150.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mitchrob85

Reaction score

I just had my battery replaced; 2020 Laramie with 16k miles. No indication my battery was going out either...went to drop my kids off at school and it wouldn't turn over. Oddly enough it was also throwing a CEL after I jumped it. Took it into the dealership and they replaced it with no charge to me. I will add that you need to keep your battery in your vehicle as they will do a load test (even though they can load test it outside the vehicle). I learned this the hard way as I had it pulled it but had to reinstall it just to jump it 😂

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I just had my battery replaced; 2020 Laramie with 16k miles. No indication my battery was going out either...went to drop my kids off at school and it wouldn't turn over. Oddly enough it was also throwing a CEL after I jumped it. Took it into the dealership and they replaced it with no charge to me. I will add that you need to keep your battery in your vehicle as they will do a load test (even though they can load test it outside the vehicle). I learned this the hard way as I had it pulled it but had to reinstall it just to jump it 😂
Was it pro rated?

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Just had my battery die this evening. Was headed home for the night. Got in, turned the key, and "click". Nothing more. My coworker tried to jump it, but to no avail (I don't think his little Subaru was up to the challenge). Ended up going to AutoZone (only place open, and close, at the time) and picked up a Duralast Gold battery. I did have some things go weird, but was able to get everything working again using AlfaOBD to read and Clear the CEL, and doing a soft reset on the radio. I probably should have gone with an AGM battery, but maybe next time.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was it pro rated?
It will not, on my 2021 it also went out at about 13 months and less than 10k. Fully cover, free of any charged
As somebody else mentioned you will need to take the truck to the dealer.
I had chrysler towing service do that for free.
Took 4 hours for a towing truck to get dispatch. It was on a saturday, my plan was just to watch games and since i have access to another vehicle in case i need it, was able to stay cool and calm
I am not convince that a better battery will resolve the issue for good but hopefully those that upgraded won't run into the same issue in the not so distant future with a premature dead battery

smashweights

Reaction score
My truck died in a parking lot. I had the wife drive her car out to bring tools, pulled the battery, drove it to AutoZone, tested dead, bought an Optima, installed and drove the truck home. Emailed FCA warranty department, explained I couldn't take it in cause it was after dealership hours, emailed them the receipt. Got a check for $300 in the mail a week or two later.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My truck died in a parking lot. I had the wife drive her car out to bring tools, pulled the battery, drove it to AutoZone, tested dead, bought an Optima, installed and drove the truck home. Emailed FCA warranty department, explained I couldn't take it in cause it was after dealership hours, emailed them the receipt. Got a check for $300 in the mail a week or two later.
Good luck with the Optima. They aren't what they used to be. I will never buy another one. Went through three red tops and a blue top in my Dakota. None lasted more than 18 months and Optima wouldn't warranty them.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

If it tests bad at dealer they will replace it, as long as it's under the 3/36 factory warranty. Problem is, the "book" tells service techs to charge the battery before testing, and a lot of times it will test good and you will be sent in your way with original battery. Only for it to die again sometime later.

Rhombus

Reaction score
I replaced mine the first 6 months with a DieHard. No issues, just didn’t want to have them. No regrets

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine was out of warranty. I replaced it with an interstate battery.

smashweights

Reaction score
Good luck with the Optima. They aren't what they used to be. I will never buy another one. Went through three red tops and a blue top in my Dakota. None lasted more than 18 months and Optima wouldn't warranty them.
Sorry you had a bad experience. I had a red top in my old Legacy that was still going strong at 8 years when I sold it 3 years ago. My wife has had one for the last 4 years in her Forester without an issue either. My current yellow is going strong a year later.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Was it pro rated?
Warranty items for cars don't get prorated, it gets replaced.
What email did you use?
Thats awesome they auctally paid you for getting it replaced, im quite shocked to be honest.
I know dealing with other car manufactures that corporate always helps more then the dealership that doesn't care about you and are privately owned with no legal ties to the brand such as warranty authorization.

smashweights

Reaction score
Warranty items for cars don't get prorated, it gets replaced.

What email did you use?
Thats awesome they auctally paid you for getting it replaced, im quite shocked to be honest.
I know dealing with other car manufactures that corporate always helps more then the dealership that doesn't care about you and are privately owned with no legal ties to the brand such as warranty authorization.
[email protected] not sure if that's who I initially reached out to buy that's where the communication happened I can find in my email

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Replaced by dealership (no cost) at 2 year mark. The replacement may be on it's way out again (2 years). Plan on replacing it with a Deka battery.
4 to choose from:

H7 (original Ram battery size)
694RMF, 790 CCA, 24 month warranty
9A94R, 800 CCA, 30 month, AGM

H8 (larger, remove clip in tray)
649MF ($185.20), 900CCA, 24 month warranty
9A49 ($276.49), 850CCA, 30 month warranty, AGM

fliptide

Reaction score
Went out to my 22 (ecodiesel) this morning and battery was dead, wouldn't even unlock with fob. Battery charger all day and seems OK, guess I will know after it sits overnight again. Just under 8000 miles

Users who are viewing this thread