5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How cold should the AC in my 21 be?

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I'm hypersensitive to under performing AC, mainly because of this forum and the fact that I chased issues for a long time in another vehicle.

I've felt like the AC in this truck wasn't the greatest since day one, again I may be biased. Dealer said it is within spec, which I believe they quoted to be 20 degrees under the ambient temp.

I used the food probe that I used to use in my old car to test it today. Was around 9:30 CST, so no sun but still hot - 87 with a feels like of 93.

57 degrees after it was sitting, drove for a bit and it got down to 44. Let it sit again, and it went up to 51.

My wife's car will get into the 30s, I think my coupe does as well. Is this as good as it gets?

All I got is that the 21’s still have the issue.
Sounds like you need the AC hack valve.

I can’t stand AC’s in a 60k truck that don’t do what all other cars do.

I had my AC serviced under the AC TSB and it is worse than before. Guess it now performs like the 2021s. I have a 2020 BTW.

I feel like my '21 truck's AC is underwhelming when it's sitting. While driving it's perfectly fine so I don't really think about it all that much.

It performs similar to my wife's car in this regard ('17 Honda Pilot....meh while sitting, ok while moving).

My dad has a '21 F-250 and that thing could substitute as a meat locker sitting in a parking lot on a 100 degree day.

I've had my new 21 for a about a month and a half and I havent had any issues with the A/C as of yet. It's been really hot here in southern New England lately and the thermometer I stuck in the vent just left of the 12 inch screen reads between 45° and 50° in the mid 90's weather plus crazy humidity we've been getting. Dont know if that falls within factory spec's but it's been fine for my fat @$$

I have definitely noticed that 1234yf refrigerant does not cool very well when the compressor it turning at low speed. When the engine get above 1000 rpm it’s much cooler.

Also just had the TSB done and still can’t get under 50 degrees while driving

I have definitely noticed that 1234yf refrigerant does not cool very well when the compressor it turning at low speed. When the engine get above 1000 rpm it’s much cooler.

Also just had the TSB done and still can’t get under 50 degrees while driving
The TSB is for 19 and 20, not 21 correct?

The AC in our 2021 Laramie with panoramic sunroof does okay, even here in Arkansas with 100+ degree days. Like most of the newer Mopars we have owned, it doesn't cool much when first started until you are moving. Then it's fine after we start moving even if we later park somewhere and let it idle. The build date on it is September 2020.

Similar experience with my 21. While driving (higher RPM for the compressor and airflow over the condenser), there is a significant improvement in air temps. I stuck a car thermometer in the left center stack vent at idle and it showed mid 40s or so. Maybe as high as 48.

I also notice on Auto Temp control that the airflow rate changes significantly as I drive. The dash-mounted sun sensor and cab temp sensor play a large role in that. (Watching the voltage, there's a 1.5 to 2.0 volt increase whenever the airflow increases. A combination of cabin fan and AC system load?)

Other vehicles use very powerful fans to create that airflow across the condenser when needed. As well, a good AC system should output air at about 35 degrees.

Mine is certainly sufficient, but I find I need to set the auto-temp to a lower temperature than I really want. If I'm comfortable at 70 (with dry air), I have to set the truck to 67. That's with 90+ outside temps, full sun, high humidity.

I think my truck cabin temp sensor may be under-reporting the actual temperature to the AC system.

I've had my new 21 for a about a month and a half and I havent had any issues with the A/C as of yet. It's been really hot here in southern New England lately and the thermometer I stuck in the vent just left of the 12 inch screen reads between 45° and 50° in the mid 90's weather plus crazy humidity we've been getting. Dont know if that falls within factory spec's but it's been fine for my fat @$$
it should definitely get colder than that...took our 2018 chevy cruze out last weekend, same hot humid temps here in NYS, the AC was so cold we had to turn it down. The 50+ degree AC in the RAM is unacceptable. Truck is in now for the TSB so we shall see.

it should definitely get colder than that...took our 2018 chevy cruze out last weekend, same hot humid temps here in NYS, the AC was so cold we had to turn it down. The 50+ degree AC in the RAM is unacceptable. Truck is in now for the TSB so we shall see.
It's kind of like when they stopped using R12 which was awesome but "bad for the environment" so they switched to R134 which wasnt as cold. I'm sure this new stuff is just continuing the decline in performance in the name of "saving the environment". I'm ok with mine so far so I'm not going to take it into the dealer just yet. We'll see how it fairs

The AC in my 2021 works great, better than the AC in my Audi. And it's much better than what I had in my 2020. I'll try to remember to check the vent temperatures this weekend, but I have no complaints about mine.

Picking mine up from the dealer in about an hour...will report back on how well the TSB fixed things. And above all else, HOPING they didn't break anything in the process. I did get a case manager so won't be shy about using them.

It's kind of like when they stopped using R12 which was awesome but "bad for the environment" so they switched to R134 which wasnt as cold. I'm sure this new stuff is just continuing the decline in performance in the name of "saving the environment". I'm ok with mine so far so I'm not going to take it into the dealer just yet. We'll see how it fairs
You are correct, 1234ya is inferior to 134a in almost every aspect...especially at lower compressor speeds.

You are correct, 1234ya is inferior to 134a in almost every aspect...especially at lower compressor speeds.
Yeah I've been dealing with this type of BS for almost 30 years of being a mechanic. Stuff always changes and sometimes not for the best

My 21 does just fine here is Florida where it's 95+ degrees most days right now. I keep it on auto at 72. I'm warm-blooded so I get hot easily. There are days I actually have to turn the AC up some because it's keeping it too cool. I definitely had the AC issue in my 2019, but this 2021 (knock on wood) has performed well. I also have not had the TSB or did the hack on this truck. All stock from the day I picked it up off the lot.

My 21 Limited gets cold, it just takes its time getting there. I have always thought the blower output on this truck could be more, even in recirculate mode it seems low.
Tom

My 21 Limited gets cold, it just takes its time getting there. I have always thought the blower output on this truck could be more, even in recirculate mode it seems low.
Tom
Mine blew really hard until it got "upgraded" by the TSB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back