5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How close is too close?

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My new wheels came in (Method 312 18x9 +18). However, they are real close to the caliper. How close is too close for comfort?

The stock wheels appear to have a groove to create space. Right now, I'm thinking about running them anyways, there shouldn't be any flex there with 6 lugs.

Did some research and it's recommended to have 3-4mm from the spokes to the caliper but could not find nothing really on the barrel of the wheel.

Opinions?

Method wheels:

20200901_204417.jpg

Stock wheel:

20200901_205512.jpg

And just cause I really these wheels!

20200901_204558.jpg

U

User_21361

It may be helpful for the folks with stock rebels to chime in with the clearance on the stock 18s

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Those are some pretty wheels, bronze (and gold) always looks great with darker greys.

Both your stock and aftermarket pics look really close, but 3-4 mm isn't a lot, it looks like you should be fine, but likely won't know until you try them. They are +18? I thought the recommended offset for Methods on these RAMs are -12?

GraniteRam

Reaction score
Get out the grinder! Plenty of material there for you to remove some and not be an issue. Towards the motor is where the caliper is the widest. There's rough casting marks there that will need to be ground off to give you clearance.

WeeMann16

Reaction score
I've emailed method about my concern with this as well. Below is what they sent to me;

1599055130395.png

There are a couple of members on this forum that run the 18x9 -12mm and have had no complaints (they have also said they have like +-2mm clearance between the caliper and the actual wheel). I haven't personally seen anyone run +18 with methods yet, but maybe I missed something. Love the bronze wheels and I hope they end up working out.

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I knew I wanted Method wheels so I initially used the Method website. On the Method site, they recommend the 701, which comes in a +18 offset. I was about to pull the trigger on those but then I checked out other sites.

Custom Offsets recommended my current wheel, 312, which I absolutely love. It runs the same sizing as the 701 but I can only assume that the inner wheel barrel is different.

Don't get me wrong guys, the wheel "fits". It spins freely without hitting anything. I'm thinking of picking up some Bora spacers, which would push the wheel out some and therefore create a little more space between the caliper and the wheel due the way the barrel opens up more towards the inside.

For reference, the stock wheel: (if you look closely, you can see it has a kind of a groove right where the caliper sits.)
20200902_091415.jpg

The Method wheel:
20200902_091502.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread