5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can you lock OEM tonneau cover?

Hjnacht

Reaction score
I may be hauling a kayak in the bed of my truck using a hitch mounted extender. I plan to keep the tonneau cover on but would like to lock it down since the tailgate will be down. The rear clamps don’t appear to have a lock provision unless I’m missing something. My cover is Ram OEM came with 2020 Limited. Has anyone come up with a good way to lock down. I am aware that locking it doesn’t provide much security with the tailgate down.

vetto

Reaction score
I have the Mopar hard trifold, if yours is like that, I don't know of a way to lock it with the tailgate down. The tailgate is what prevents the cover latch from being accessed.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may be hauling a kayak in the bed of my truck using a hitch mounted extender. I plan to keep the tonneau cover on but would like to lock it down since the tailgate will be down. The rear clamps don’t appear to have a lock provision unless I’m missing something. My cover is Ram OEM came with 2020 Limited. Has anyone come up with a good way to lock down. I am aware that locking it doesn’t provide much security with the tailgate down.

Can't help with your question but how are you securing your tailgate? I'd be a lot more worried about someone taking off with that.

Hjnacht

Reaction score
Can't help with your question but how are you securing your tailgate? I'd be a lot more worried about someone taking off with that.
Good Point JoeCo. I think I’ll get bed racks to go over my tonneau plus the hitch rack and haul the kayak above the bed. That would allow me to keep the tailgate up and locked and add marginal security to the tonneau. Thanks

40truckday

Reaction score
I have a fishing kayak that I take all over the place with a bed extender. When at the fishing spot and my kayak is unloaded I just put the tailgate up and lock it with the bed extender still in the hitch.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good Point JoeCo. I think I’ll get bed racks to go over my tonneau plus the hitch rack and haul the kayak above the bed. That would allow me to keep the tailgate up and locked and add marginal security to the tonneau. Thanks

No problem at all, those tailgates are easy to take and are worth a lot of money. Sounds like you have a good plan though and that way you won't have to have that concern in the back of your mind.

Hjnacht

Reaction score
I have a fishing kayak that I take all over the place with a bed extender. When at the fishing spot and my kayak is unloaded I just put the tailgate up and lock it with the bed extender still in the hitch.
If doing a day trip I’ll probably do like you said but the security issue is when traveling and staying in motels.

vetto

Reaction score
No problem at all, those tailgates are easy to take and are worth a lot of money. Sounds like you have a good plan though and that way you won't have to have that concern in the back of your mind.
wait, people are stealing tailgates?

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wait, people are stealing tailgates?

They started putting locks on them for a reason. If you know how to steal them and they are left unlocked, you can lift one very quickly and make some good money.

I'm not sure how big of a problem it is anymore, but when I was in high school (about 17-18 years ago), our local chevy dealer had all of their tail gates stolen one night. Of course back then they didn't lock, so it didn't take long to commit the crime.

Hjnacht

Reaction score
They started putting locks on them for a reason. If you know how to steal them and they are left unlocked, you can lift one very quickly and make some good money.

I'm not sure how big of a problem it is anymore, but when I was in high school (about 17-18 years ago), our local chevy dealer had all of their tail gates stolen one night. Of course back then they didn't lock, so it didn't take long to commit the crime.
If I carry the Kayak in the bed I’ll lock it down which should prevent the tailgate from being raised enough for it to be removed. I also put a stainless hose clamp on the hinge covering the removal slot to slow down a would be thief. Also looking at cheap alarms.

Users who are viewing this thread