5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How are these trucks in heavy snow/blizzards?

Snakes709

Reaction score
lol, awesome truck.

Glad I’m not the only person on here who puts snows on their vehicles. I just don’t understand why more people don’t.

The first car I had snows on was a 2003 BMW 330 ZHP. The only thing I couldn’t do was climb the huge hill I lived on. It was almost never plowed. I had to come down it and slide into my drive way. Lol. But, never had any issues driving it around town. Never got stuck. Was blown away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

people are to cheap. I hear “i have never had an accident with all seasons. My 4x4 is good enough”. And when the topic comes up about manditory winter tires, i hear “who is going to pay for them?” People will spend thousands of dollars on a vehicle but wont spend a couple hundred bucks on the only thing that touches the actual road. So ****ing stupid

i have a gmc sierra at4 now which has AT duratracs. While they arent snow tires, they have been doing a better job then all season. Will run them this winter. In the spring ill pick up a set up 20” rims and summer tires. Then next winter ill replace the duratracs with legit snow tires.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I drove all winter last year without issue up here in WA state in my new Ram. We had a hellacious winter especially in February, which was an adventure every day. I drive 55 miles round trip to work every day which is mostly highway, plus skiing on weekends. I was tested in the worst conditions from whiteouts to feet of snow to icy roads. Tires are BFG KO2’s.

Jwsmith

Reaction score
Went through last winter without a hitch with all season tires but will probably get an extra set of rims and snow tires for the future. Lots of snow and cold here,no issues with air suspension and truck is not garaged. Do clear the sensors when clearing snow. Handles great in 4 auto with anti spin.

Rowan611

Reaction score
people are to cheap. I hear “i have never had an accident with all seasons. My 4x4 is good enough”. And when the topic comes up about manditory winter tires, i hear “who is going to pay for them?” People will spend thousands of dollars on a vehicle but wont spend a couple hundred bucks on the only thing that touches the actual road. So ****ing stupid

i have a gmc sierra at4 now which has AT duratracs. While they arent snow tires, they have been doing a better job then all season. Will run them this winter. In the spring ill pick up a set up 20” rims and summer tires. Then next winter ill replace the duratracs with legit snow tires.

I use to have Dueler AT Revos on our old 4Runner. Never had an issue with snow with those. Wasn’t till I switched to Michelin’s for a nicer ride (for my wife) that I needed to get snows (Blizzack DMV1s) for the 4Runner. I’ve moved them to our GX460 now.
IMG_1211.jpg

Dire Wolf

Reaction score
Always run triple peak rated tires and never had a problem. I have the North Edition.
Of course, when it is really bad, I take my lifted Jeep JK and go do donuts. After market metal bumpers and a vehicle that weighs a lot less and is much smaller makes for a hell of a lot of fun.
My Ram is too pretty to get banged up (and too expensive)!

WasatchBack

Reaction score
I'm very concerned that I chose to run Ridge Grapplers year round. Positive reviews but looking at the tread pattern tells me otherwise. This will be my first vehicle without dedicated snows since 1993. Night and day difference with proper tires.

RamSco

Reaction score
Seriously... about a week after I got my truck we went snowboarding in UTAH. Had the trip already planned. I have the Bridgestone Dueler tires. I was nervous of course. After we got north of Cedar city the temp really plummeted into the upper 20s. Snow and ice on the road. (I 15). I slowed down to about 55 and put in Auto 4wd. Once we turned off into Parowan the roads were a bit worse but mostly clear. The road going up to BrianHead is windy and has a few steep grades. My truck did just fine. I believe I stayed in Auto4 the whole time and did not engage the locker rearend. Once getting up the hill the roads did have snow and such and the parking lots as well. No problems. I will probably switch to Michelin tires when its time but driving in the snow was fine. I have not been in a blizzard or roads covered in heavy snow.
In most winter conditions, you don’t want to use your lockers. Really only if you are already stuck or trying to avoid being stuck at relatively low speeds. This is especially true in mountain driving with tight turns and off camber surfaces. Lockers will put you in the ditch before you know it.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
So far so good. Getting 7’ this Monday. Very impressed on slick snow covered dirt roads and ice

love this truck

Attachments

• 7CEFA5E0-CE60-47C9-A8C3-DDEB982E2565.jpeg
    7CEFA5E0-CE60-47C9-A8C3-DDEB982E2565.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 63

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
I just wanted to reiterate the above and confirm the advice given. Auto 4x4 is superb! Set it and forget it. We had ice, freezing rain, and heavy wet snow and the truck reformed flawlessly. I have a 2 hour 120 commute and I was thoroughly impressed. I saw a ton of 5th Gens

thank you B777DB24-6DE8-43A4-996B-92DCDF0127D9.jpeg FCC78456-E600-4EE6-B58D-9B4F84F6F6D4.jpeg 5E33576E-F512-473E-B8AF-0248ECEA629C.jpeg B777DB24-6DE8-43A4-996B-92DCDF0127D9.jpeg FCC78456-E600-4EE6-B58D-9B4F84F6F6D4.jpeg 5E33576E-F512-473E-B8AF-0248ECEA629C.jpeg

timtlu

Reaction score
I just wanted to reiterate the above and confirm the advice given. Auto 4x4 is superb! Set it and forget it. We had ice, freezing rain, and heavy wet snow and the truck reformed flawlessly. I have a 2 hour 120 commute and I was thoroughly impressed. I saw a ton of 5th Gens

thank you
What tires are you running?

Reaction score
I have a soft roll up cover. I needed full access for taller items in the bed on occasion. It has had Ice, crusted snow on it. Been in plenty of rain storms. Not a drop in the bed and the cover is holding up so far. Has seen plenty of heat and sun as well. It is rolled down covering the entire bed 90% of the time. I am happy with it.

Rowan611

Reaction score
I have a soft roll up cover. I needed full access for taller items in the bed on occasion. It has had Ice, crusted snow on it. Been in plenty of rain storms. Not a drop in the bed and the cover is holding up so far. Has seen plenty of heat and sun as well. It is rolled down covering the entire bed 90% of the time. I am happy with it.

Are you sure that was supposed to be posted in this threat about tires?

Barney556180

Reaction score
The OP asked “I’m also considering a rollback tonneau cover such as the roll-n-lock. Can anyone comment about how these covers perform in snowy/freezing conditions?

Talisman

Reaction score
The OP asked “I’m also considering a rollback tonneau cover such as the roll-n-lock. Can anyone comment about how these covers perform in snowy/freezing conditions?

Thanks for the additional info. My original post was a bit long winded, I’m sure people overlooked that. Heck, I even forgot I asked that.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
living in Colorado, we get good storms and really cold weather.. Seat heaters and steering heater are GREAT!. the defrosters will clear the windshield. and keep buildup from accumulating. mine has the extra wiper defrosters, form the cold weather package. no complaints here, have had some really tough conditions so far, and drove through driving snow and 30 mph freeway storms... love this truck.. better than my 03 and 12.

I also have a access roll up cover on my truck, had them on my 97, 03, and 12, and they are great in the winter, no problems, with loads of snow on the back, and it rolls up to allow full access to the bed... I love that feature, as hard rollups will still limit the bed a little.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
living in Colorado, we get good storms and really cold weather.. Seat heaters and steering heater are GREAT!. the defrosters will clear the windshield. and keep buildup from accumulating. mine has the extra wiper defrosters, form the cold weather package. no complaints here, have had some really tough conditions so far, and drove through driving snow and 30 mph freeway storms... love this truck..

wiper defroster???? I have the CW package but am unaware of that feature. I agree 100% the truck does superb in bad weather especially with these tires on the ORG

Users who are viewing this thread