5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How are these trucks in heavy snow/blizzards?

Talisman

Reaction score
While I live in a moderate climate that sees almost no freezing temps, I do a fair amount of skiing in the winter in the Lake Tahoe area which can get some pretty heavy snow storms. How are these trucks performing in heavy snow storms?

Are there any issues with the LED headlights freezing over while driving?

How good are the defrosters and wipers about keeping snow from accumulating on the windshield? My wife’s Mercedes is great except for I can’t keep the edges of the windshield clean and it eventually piles up and interferes with the wipers.

I’m also considering a rollback tonneau cover such as the roll-n-lock. Can anyone comment about how these covers perform in snowy/freezing conditions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All good questions. I would presume that tire choice and some weight in the bed would be major items to consider. The existing 4x system is unchanged I believe. Those with an e-lock or an anti-spin rear axle would have an-advantage over the open diff units.

Talisman

Reaction score
Yes, I am pretty confident that 4wd with the appropriate tires will perform just fine. My major concern is visibility and how well the windshield and LED headlights are in these storms. My concern is snow piling up in the windshield or covering the headlights (since LEDs run cooler than halogens). It always sucks when you have to get out in a storm and in traffic to clean off the windshield and headlights.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had 6 months of winter experience with my 5th Gen and I can say with great confidence you would have no issues in any form of winter weather. The stock Duratracs are great in snow/slush and the LED headlights and windshield/wipers all performed in all conditions, down to and including -50°c temps.

Snakes709

Reaction score
I only had my truck for a short time before I traded it in but got caught in a bad storm on the highway. Pure white out, couldnt see a damn thing. Had to go to the left shoulder as i could barely see the yellow line and there was a wired fence in the median as my guide to the tell where the road was. Had to drop down to 40kmh. Put the truck in 4 auto and she handled amazing. While I was white knuckled due to not being able to see a damn thing, not a single issue with the the truck.

Eventually came up to a major accident, over turned semi and half a dozen cars in the ditch. Had to drive around everything with no issues.

Last edited:

airgas1998

Reaction score
Wait, what? we can drive these in the winter? but FCA said they weren't rated for winter driving (at least those of us with the air suspension)

LOL

:poop:
i know it...were fast approaching winter in the next few months here, and i'm reluctant to get rid of it. oh well...i'm just glad FCA is looking out for me...

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s why I got the 7 year/unlimited mile warranty. Air suspension is not my problem for 7 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sitting at the dealership once a week in a cold snap or more if you're really unlucky, just to have the shop thaw the truck and top up the nitrogen... yeah, you really outsmarted FCA on that one. Sorry, I just value my time very highly and anything beyond the initial time of delivery/sale of the truck is time wasted.

But at least you won't be on the hook financially. But honestly, those dealer waiting rooms are worse than a dentist or IRS visit.

Talisman

Reaction score
Does FCA really admit that air suspension should not be used in cold climates? If so, is there some kind of published atmospheric/temperature spec that air suspension is limited to? I was definitely considering air suspension before this discussion. I think my truck will rarely see anything under 20 degrees F.

Do the windshield washer nozzles work ok in cold weather? The nozzles on my 07 Tacoma always freeze up in the cold. Makes it impossible to keep the windshield clear when other cars are spraying sand and grime water from the road.

Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming!

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Sitting at the dealership once a week in a cold snap or more if you're really unlucky, just to have the shop thaw the truck and top up the nitrogen... yeah, you really outsmarted FCA on that one. Sorry, I just value my time very highly and anything beyond the initial time of delivery/sale of the truck is time wasted.

But at least you won't be on the hook financially. But honestly, those dealer waiting rooms are worse than a dentist or IRS visit.

I have other vehicles and it comes with 1st day rental. No sitting for me.

RJS

Reaction score
Does FCA really admit that air suspension should not be used in cold climates? If so, is there some kind of published atmospheric/temperature spec that air suspension is limited to? I was definitely considering air suspension before this discussion. I think my truck will rarely see anything under 20 degrees F.

Do the windshield washer nozzles work ok in cold weather? The nozzles on my 07 Tacoma always freeze up in the cold. Makes it impossible to keep the windshield clear when other cars are spraying sand and grime water from the road.

Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming!
I would think freezing washers is more a function of the fluid than the vehicle. Buy the lowest temp fluid you can find. I always buy the purple expensive -35 stuff not the light blue which freezes at higher temps.

bdcramer1

Reaction score
Rain-X for me, and never a problem with setting off the low fluid sensor in at least a dozen vehicles.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have other vehicles and it comes with 1st day rental. No sitting for me.

I'm glad you have your bases covered. You could only have done one better with valet service to and from your driveway.

Talisman

Reaction score
Yea, I’ve tried low-temp washer fluid. For some reason the nozzles on my Tacoma still freeze over. The tank and the lines are fine, but the nozzle heads freeze over after my first use. It drives me nuts.

ryanc111

Reaction score
Yes, I am pretty confident that 4wd with the appropriate tires will perform just fine. My major concern is visibility and how well the windshield and LED headlights are in these storms. My concern is snow piling up in the windshield or covering the headlights (since LEDs run cooler than halogens). It always sucks when you have to get out in a storm and in traffic to clean off the windshield and headlights.
Mine was great last winter up here in Montana...add some weight to the bed (I use tube sand), keep your windshield warm and carry on. No issues with the headlights.

Multiple months of heavy snow and subzero temps with zero issues.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score

--- EDIT 'cuz I misread part of VaderRebel's reply - .. yes, top off the Nitro because of the leaking seals I'm guessing -- sorry for that .. but I left my original post below :) :) :)

It isn't the Nitro in the lines, it is the plastic fittings. If it were the Nitro, then those who have the pretty green caps on their tires would also have 4 flat tires as well. Pure Nitrogen holds pressure better than compressed air.

Since the system is a "sealed" setup, condensation can also play a part into why the "lines" freeze. If you are able to "refresh" the compressant say every 5 years maybe, then that could be a nice service that would keep us happy - just not our pocket books.

I was looking into designing a small heater myself if mine freezes up since I'll have to park the rig outside until I get rid of a vehicle or two from my larger garage.

Is the waiting room a nuisance - indeed!
Will the vehicle actually get fixed if it is problematic - fingers crossed!

Last edited:

RamSco

Reaction score
While I live in a moderate climate that sees almost no freezing temps, I do a fair amount of skiing in the winter in the Lake Tahoe area which can get some pretty heavy snow storms. How are these trucks performing in heavy snow storms?

Are there any issues with the LED headlights freezing over while driving?

How good are the defrosters and wipers about keeping snow from accumulating on the windshield? My wife’s Mercedes is great except for I can’t keep the edges of the windshield clean and it eventually piles up and interferes with the wipers.

I’m also considering a rollback tonneau cover such as the roll-n-lock. Can anyone comment about how these covers perform in snowy/freezing conditions?

Thanks!
I’ve only had my truck since mid-summer but I did drive 3.5 hours in a Montana winter storm recently. All conditions... freezing rain, sleet, heavy snow. Some of that was up and down 7% grades on sheet ice. Lots of accidents, slide offs, etc. I kept it in 4 Auto the whole time. All systems worked awesome... much better than my 07 2500.

James1414d

Reaction score
From my experience, it performs much better then my 2015 Silverado did in deep snow.

I'm going to add sand bags in the bed this year, which should further improve rear traction I think.

Users who are viewing this thread