5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How are the stock tires in the snow?

notoriouskeef

Reaction score
Just bought a RAM 1500 Big Horn Night Edition. How are the stock tires in the snow? Just curious if I should buy a set of BF AT or not.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Just bought a RAM 1500 Big Horn Night Edition. How are the stock tires in the snow? Just curious if I should buy a set of BF AT or not.
People will say they're terrible... But I bought my Longhorn back in September and we had one of the worst, by far most snow this past winter here in Iowa than we've had for awhile and tbh the tires impressed me. I was worried about it and almost bought some tires to make it thru winter but I'm lifting it and buying new 35s this summer so really didn't want to buy tires to run for less than a year so stuck with the factory tires and they did surprisingly really well in alot of snow this year. I have the factory 22s though so it might be a different tire than you have on yours!? I'm sure many will chime in, but from my experience and same worries you have I was very pleased with the truck on these tiny crappy factory tires lol GL!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Diesel762

Reaction score
People will say they're terrible... But I bought my Longhorn back in September and we had one of the worst, by far most snow this past winter here in Iowa than we've had for awhile and tbh the tires impressed me. I was worried about it and almost bought some tires to make it thru winter but I'm lifting it and buying new 35s this summer so really didn't want to buy tires to run for less than a year so stuck with the factory tires and they did surprisingly really well in alot of snow this year. I have the factory 22s though so it might be a different tire than you have on yours!? I'm sure many will chime in, but from my experience and same worries you have I was very pleased with the truck on these tiny crappy factory tires lol GL!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I have a 2020 with stock 22's and i was also pleasantly surprised as well by the stock tires in the IL snow.

notoriouskeef

Reaction score
So I read a bunch of posts here about some tire options. I've narrowed it down to the Falken Wildpeak a/t3w $246 each and the Bfgoodrich all terrain t/a ko2 $241 each. I will be purchasing from discount tire here. I have a set of Blizzak snow tires from my explorer sport (80% tread left) and the factory ram tires I can trade in so I'll prolly be saving quite a bit. I've had a set of bfgoodrich a/t on a truck I had years ago and loved them. I haven't heard of falken until today but appears people love them. Think I'm going to go to discount tire and talk with them about the two options. They have both in stock so I'll take a look at their appearance as well. I take delivery of my truck tomorrow. Maybe I'll wait and see if there are any memorial day tire sales deals this month. My cousin also works for discount tire so I get the friends/family discount. I asked her a couple questions so I'm waiting to hear from her as well.

NWRogue

Reaction score
20" stock Bridgestone's here. Not the best tire for snow I've ever had, not the worst. We had our once a decade lot's of snow event this past winter. About 2 feet of snow with ice mixed in for fun. Multiple trips around town before it melted and did not have any issues. It went sideways when I wanted it to, and did not show any bad attributes. A bit of wheel spin from a dead stop, but never tried to put me in the ditch. Didn't fill up my wheel wells with snow which was nice, seemed to shed snow pretty good.

Will I keep them for next winter, probably not. But that is mostly because I'd like a bit more aggressive tire.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The stock Goodyear Wranglers I had on my ‘19 Laramie (base wheel setup) suck, main reason I got into an accident in a snowstorm. However, the ORG Falken Wildpeak AT3WA’s are really really good so far, even here in the snow belt. Have them on my ‘21 Limited from factory.

mmcbeat

Reaction score
When I’m driving a 2WD pickup I always buy a couple bags of sand for the extreme winter months. Around here the big box stores have long skinny bags packaged for that purpose. In addition to the extra weight over the rear axle, if need be you can cut one open and use the sand if you do get stuck.

notoriouskeef

Reaction score
I'm at discount tire now swapping my winter tires off my trade. I asked him his opinion between the bfgoodrich and falcon. He said he would choose the bfgoodrich for various reasons but then he started to push the GOODYEARWRANGLER ULTRATERRAIN AT. He rolled it out for me. It looks nice and it is a bit cheaper. There is also no warranty on them though. One comment here said they suck in the snow if these are the same tires. Does anyone else run these?

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm at discount tire now swapping my winter tires off my trade. I asked him his opinion between the bfgoodrich and falcon. He said he would choose the bfgoodrich for various reasons but then he started to push the GOODYEARWRANGLER ULTRATERRAIN AT. He rolled it out for me. It looks nice and it is a bit cheaper. There is also no warranty on them though. One comment here said they suck in the snow if these are the same tires. Does anyone else run these?
Mine were just the standard Goodyear Wrangler’s. The Stock highway tires. That’s what I said sucked. Not sure about the UltraTerrains, but I’d go Falken or BF for sure.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
I've got the Falkens on mine. Performed really well in the snow for me although icy conditions you're fluffed unless you get them studded. The KO2's are also great tires from what I've heard and very popular so you have a lot of first hand accounts here to go off of. Personally I went with the AT3's because I like the look, and because there was a wicked sale at the time of purchase.

notoriouskeef

Reaction score
Mine were just the standard Goodyear Wrangler’s. The Stock highway tires. That’s what I said sucked. Not sure about the UltraTerrains, but I’d go Falken or BF for sure.
Oh thankyou for the clarification! I think ill end up going with the bfg bc I've had them many years ago (they were great) plus I also have a treadlightly rebate for them. Will wait until the memorial day sales come out to pull the trigger.

I did a forum search and couldn't find much about the Goodyear. Bfg it is! Thanks for the help everyone! Picking up my new truck in 15 mins and can't wait.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have had Goodyear Duratracs on a couple of jeeps now. They do great in the snow. When I get the lift in I am going to try the Goodyear Ultraterrain from Discount Tire.

notoriouskeef

Reaction score
Well I actually decided to try out the good year for no other reason than the salesman said they were a good compromise between the falcons and bfg. Love the way they look and changed the appearance of the truck. Also went with black lug nuts.

Attachments

• 20210510_165129.jpg
    20210510_165129.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210510_174745.jpg
    20210510_174745.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 55

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The stock tires on my 22" wheels are - Goodyear Eagle Touring - and I got around effortlessly through all 6 snow storms this past winter

1D32319

Reaction score
The stock Bridgstone Dueler H/Ls would probably be OK on a just plowed street after it snows. OK siping and a bunch of tread blocks although the tread is not deep at all. Think as a wet weather tire.

That said-they really won't cut it where I live, so come August I will put on either a set of D or E rated Falken Wildpeaks, Toyo AT3, or BF Goodrich KO2 in that order of preference. Duratracs are good, but I won't buy them. While all terrain tires are no match for a dedicated snow tire, each of those 3 have the 3PMSF marking. I had the Wildpeaks on the truck I got rid of before buying this thing and I was happy with them.

Nels

Reaction score
All good info above, but it sounds like most that replied were driving their truck for their first winter this past one. I.e. their tires were new, low miles, barely any wear.

So I thought I would share my experience. Bought my 2019 Laramie in October 2020 with 20, 000 miles. Factory Bridgestone dueler HLs. First snow fall I said **** I don't feel safe on these tires. Truck feels like it's all over the road. Made it through the winter being very careful, only because I was waiting for the buy 3 get one for $1 sale. Now I have bfg KO2 and I am much more confident that I'm prepared for the next several winters. Fyi I'm in Wisconsin so no trouble finding snow and ice.

Users who are viewing this thread