5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How aggressive or useful is the lanekeeping assist in the 1500?

DennisY

Reaction score
Are these settings in the Apps menu? Guess I didn't realize this was adjustable. I use mine mainly when driving the narrow laned highway on Highway 60 on my way to Palm Springs. Seems to work fine but wouldn't mind trying out the adjustements.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Sucks - probably THE MOST DISAPPOINTING of the RAM accessories/features.

Someone earlier mentioned the Honda's - my '16 Pilot Touring would basically AUTO-PILOT with LKA & Adaptive Cruise. Almost as good as the Tesla. WIll follow curves to an extent and keep you centered in the lane.

RAM - NO DICE. It's more annoying than useful. I had high expectations, being that the technology is pretty mature at this point, and the RAM is 4 production years newer than the Honda. Not a "deal breaker" for me, by any stretch - where lack of Adaptive Cruise steered me away from Chevy/Ford (even on the upscale loaded denali/high country, none for the trucks on ANY LOT had it installed, but you could "factory order" it).

I leave it OFF - by the time it alerts you, you're already out of the lane. Pretty much worthless after 90K miles of it in the Honda.

Rick

BmoreStew

Reaction score
I’ve come to like it. Have never had it in other vehicles, but can imagine it’s not as good as others... everyone’s descriptions of it are accurate; reacts a little too late and a little too harshly. BUT having two young kids, there are times that I have to reach back to find a pacifier or whatever, it’s nice to have at those moments.

Cortesio

Reaction score
My primary driving with the truck is an 80 mile round trip to work with most of that being interstate. I’ve had a pretty opposite experience in my truck compared to some others here. If anything, instead of alerting and correcting late, it’s too picky about keeping me in the dead center of the lane and goes all condition yellow on me if I’m riding too close to the outside line.

I ended up setting it to the most permissive setting with medium feedback. Still turns yellow and nudges me if I get too close to the line but generally doesn’t bother me. I’m used to pushing through the feedback if I need to make an abrupt maneuver but otherwise it just encourages signaling...which isn’t a bad thing. It doesn’t bother me in town and I leave it on 99% of the time. I’ve only hit the button to turn it off when passing on the highway and not wanting the feedback to interfere with my driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use it on my long trips (the straight through trips I was making between Florida and Michigan) and when towing my enclosed car trailer. It seems to work fine for me. Nothing like the Cadillac system but it keeps you from inadvertently drifting out of a lane and when towing it keeps the 8.5 foot wide trailer centered especially at night when it disappears behind you.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve come to like it. Have never had it in other vehicles, but can imagine it’s not as good as others... everyone’s descriptions of it are accurate; reacts a little too late and a little too harshly.

Like you this is the first one I've had it with as well and like it also.

DaDwyer91

Reaction score
My wife’s Telluride is almost flawless at keeping the vehicle centered. Even around long curves it’s perfect. I was so disappointed when I picked up my 2021 limited a couple days ago. I was hoping to find a programmer or hack that could improve the reaction of the sensors. :( no luck

RSConsulting

Reaction score
My wife’s Telluride is almost flawless at keeping the vehicle centered. Even around long curves it’s perfect. I was so disappointed when I picked up my 2021 limited a couple days ago. I was hoping to find a programmer or hack that could improve the reaction of the sensors. :( no luck

Likewise with my '16 Honda Pilot. It was almost Tesla quality auto-pilot.

Very disappointing...

Rick

Ram21

Reaction score
Had a 2018 Honda Civic that would basically steer itself. It was excellent. Took a long cross country trip a couple years ago and I swear I fell asleep on the highway for a few minutes (yikes!) but the car kept straight and true, even had the adaptive cruise on and that’s pretty damn good in the Honda.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of the roads where I live aren't very straight, so it is more of an annoyance and I leave it off. On the interstates it isn't so bad, especially when snowbirding in AZ, but I still leave it off most of the time. Guess I just like to drive myself, and not leave the driving to the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread