5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How aggressive or useful is the lanekeeping assist in the 1500?

hifiaudio2

Reaction score
My wife had a pilot and now an Odyssey that both had this feature and they will pretty much center you in the lane with barely any input unless you are going around a pretty sharp curve. Pretty neat. I only tested this very briefly in the ram on a test drive and not even sure it was enabled correctly but I did not feel it did much at all. Is it useful?

Kyle_1252002

Reaction score
It’s not very good in my opinion. There are a couple of settings to adjust how it reacts, but to me it’s slow to recognize a correction is needed and then corrects very sharply. I’ve tested it several times to see how it responds and I definitely don’t have confidence that I could rely on it to keep me in my lane, even for just a few seconds (like if you wanted to remove a jacket or something). Possibly if you were on a dead straight highway, but certainly nothing with curves.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I tried it in my first Ram ( Limited ) and it was seriously lacking as opposed to my Accord.

aametzger

Reaction score
I tried to use it a few times, agree with above, it waits too long to react and then is quite abrupt. Mine is disabled and will likely stay that way for the remainder of the time I have the truck.

airgas1998

Reaction score
lka in the ram sucks...its been off from day one....also in my honda as well, i just don't care/need this feature..

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never had it .. sometimes I can drift across the line into the other lane ..
other times (the first time I realized it wasn't a steering issue with the truck and that I could adjust sensitivity or turn Lane Assist Off (I thought it would just warn - not steer the truck).

I was trying to change lanes as a single lane split into two -- the truck saw the dotted lines and fought me and made itself decide which lane it wanted -- I was like WHOA!
After I knew what it was, I like to test it now here and there .. sometimes it does a good job, others the vehicle nearly is halfway over the line before it senses the change.

I'm sure there will be updates coming out here and there for sensitivity related items. It doesn't bother me too much and is a decent first try.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife had a pilot and now an Odyssey that both had this feature and they will pretty much center you in the lane with barely any input unless you are going around a pretty sharp curve. Pretty neat. I only tested this very briefly in the ram on a test drive and not even sure it was enabled correctly but I did not feel it did much at all. Is it useful?
I think of it just like it is named, “ lane assist”, not take my place. I think it works reasonably well, when the road cues support it. If the visual cues are not present or weak, don’t expect much help, but if there, I have found it to perform adequately. The thing is, I am glad to have it because if it helps me from making a mistake just once, it is worth the cost. Are there are cars with better systems out there, apparently yes from other responses, but does that mean I would not want what we have, definitely not.

Kyle_1252002

Reaction score
I think of it just like it is named, “ lane assist”, not take my place. I think it works reasonably well, when the road cues support it. If the visual cues are not present or weak, don’t expect much help, but if there, I have found it to perform adequately. The thing is, I am glad to have it because if it helps me from making a mistake just once, it is worth the cost. Are there are cars with better systems out there, apparently yes from other responses, but does that mean I would not want what we have, definitely not.

I’m glad to have it, but compared to other manufacturers “lane keep assist”, it’s just lacking the refinement that I’ve experienced in most other vehicles.

rick_od

Reaction score
ive never had it so my opinion on it is based on no prior experience. i just got my RAM a few weeks ago. around town this feature is off 100% of the time as i dont see any need for it to drive .5 miles to Walmart. but i gave it a shot on the highway last weekend and on the 2hr drive to my destination i felt it was lacking. before i left for the 2hr trip home i went in and adjusted the settings and now like it very much. as mentioned, it is much better on straightaways than curves but for me it stays on when on the highway and its turned off as soon as i get off the highway.

rick_od

Reaction score
i cant remember the terminology but there are three settings for sensitivity and three settings for how aggressive the truck reacts. i set the sensitivity to the highest which means it detects a lane departure earlier and set the other setting (aggressiveness) to the middle setting. i had this one on the most aggressive setting but found that it was a tad too jerky for my liking so i went back to medium.
hope this helps

LouCap

Reaction score
I like it. IMHO, it does exactly what it needs to, let me know when I'm wandering and helping to keep me in my lane. It's not a self-driving truck, and this is just another feature to keep us safe, like BSD or ACC.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be the lone dissenter here and say I like it. IMHO, it does exactly what it needs to, let me know when I'm wandering and helping to keep me in my lane. It's not a self-driving truck, and this is just another feature to keep us safe, like BSD or ACC.
I believe both @duke2001 and @rick_od stated above that they like it. So do I.

FishNitro

Reaction score
I have left mine off since about week 2 of owning the truck. I found mine picking up thing like slush in the road or crack dealer as lane markers and it was trying to correct the truck when it did not need to. It almost caused me to spin out in the snow once with an abrupt correction that it did not need to do. It’s been off ever since.... I personally think it’s just another thing that promotes lazy driving.

FWIW my wife hates the system in her new Acura too, like mine hers is also off....

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It doesn't do much, but I use it most of the time.

I have my settings on Highest Sensitivity and Lowest Strength (of steering correction). It is really just for alerting me if I'm not paying good enough attention (i.e. futzing with the radio or nav or my phone or whatever).

I'd say it has made me a safer driver - in that it has made me start using my turn signals on lane changes pretty much all the time now, and I used to only use them rarely. If I signal, the Lane Assist doesn't fight me as I cross the line. If I don't, it does. :)

hifiaudio2

Reaction score
I tried it in my first Ram ( Limited ) and it was seriously lacking as opposed to my Accord.
Yeah the Hondas will pretty much lane center you and drive, at least until a pretty major curve. Our 2020 Odyssey is improved over the 2017 Pilot as well.

rdtompki

Reaction score
I like it on our other cars, but haven't been able to get it to do anything despite having it turned on.

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
I leave LKA on and dont mind the ‘tug’ if I get too close to the line. I find the roads here in northern NM have such faded paint that the LKA frequently can’t detect the markings. When I’ve ‘played’ with it, I find the corrections to be moderate and not nearly as overdone as they were in my Acura. Biggest plus to me with the Ram is that you only get a change from green to orange on the dash icon. In the Acura, I got a beep, haptic shimmy in the steering wheel and a flashing message in the center dash screen...annoyed the $#@& outta me every time it happened. Our Subaru throws the most pathetic chirping beeps with the LKA.

I also like the collision avoidance better in the Ram. we drive a lot of curving state highway and the Ram has only thrown the brake once (it was a unique setup of curve and converging vehicles) where the Acura was constantly braking, beeping, throwing orange heads-up flashes, etc...really hated driving that car here.

Now if they (meaning all brands) could only get the ACC to stop throwing a hard brake at 75 mph when someone pulls into your lane too close to you. That one function is enough to tell me that auto-driving cars will be a scourge and that I’ll avoid them like plague.

Apexcars

Reaction score
I have left mine off since about week 2 of owning the truck. I found mine picking up thing like slush in the road or crack dealer as lane markers and it was trying to correct the truck when it did not need to.

Dang Fish, you must drive in some pretty rough neighborhoods. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread