5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hotspot

OldCheyenne

Reaction score
My AT&T trial just ran out so I called and took the unlimited data plan for 200/yr (16/mo). Worked fine during the 90 day trial. Especially liked that I could use Alexa and play my playlists. Way cheaper than my Verizon plan which charges me $15 for 1 gig if I exceed my 10 gig per family plan. Plus just found out that if you take the AT&T unlimited plan you get free HBO, Cartoon Network, TBS, TNT and CNN free of charge while using the Ram's wifi. Since I don't have HBO that might be nice. Probably would be great for kids in the backseat.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My AT&T trial just ran out so I called and took the unlimited data plan for 200/yr (16/mo). Worked fine during the 90 day trial. Especially liked that I could use Alexa and play my playlists. Way cheaper than my Verizon plan which charges me $15 for 1 gig if I exceed my 10 gig per family plan. Plus just found out that if you take the AT&T unlimited plan you get free HBO, Cartoon Network, TBS, TNT and CNN free of charge while using the Ram's wifi. Since I don't have HBO that might be nice. Probably would be great for kids in the backseat.
Is it truly unlimited, or unlimited until a cap and then throttled?

*edit
Found it, I think. Looks like 22GB and then network deprioritization.

Last edited:

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Enabled hotspot for a little road trip recently. Kids were complaining that it was slow. Before the fuel gauge even got close to half it stopped working and I had an email that the trial 1gb (or was it 2?) was all used up. Couldn’t have been that slow.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Enabled hotspot for a little road trip recently. Kids were complaining that it was slow. Before the fuel gauge even got close to half it stopped working and I had an email that the trial 1gb (or was it 2?) was all used up. Couldn’t have been that slow.
With kids in the back... that one gig freebie was not going to last long.
20 gig plan/month for USD 20 is pretty good IMO.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it truly unlimited, or unlimited until a cap and then throttled?

*edit
Found it, I think. Looks like 22GB and then network deprioritization.
ATT doesn't deprioritize anywhere near as bad as tmobile or Verizon. On Verizon you may as well just not have service at all.

On ATT the only place you'll have trouble is under extreme congestion in a very popular area like a theme park.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ATT doesn't deprioritize anywhere near as bad as tmobile or Verizon. On Verizon you may as well just not have service at all.

On ATT the only place you'll have trouble is under extreme congestion in a very popular area like a theme park.
Nice. My main use for the ATT line would be having a backup in remote areas, so shouldn't see much, if any, congestion.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I use mine quite a bit for my small business. There are times when I don't have cell coverage but have a hotspot signal. Different areas have different speeds but I can always send/receive emails which is important to me.
My grandkids never complain about it being slow...
Tom

U

User_3336

AT&T hotspots on car connected plans are on the AT&T network, but on the side on another domain.
Used to be a part of jasper.com, but the again CISCO bought them out Back a while, they were on the same domain as Cricket Wireless (AT&T) owned.

do an "www.ip2location.com" while connected to your hotspot and i bet the domain is NOT att.com (although managed by AT&T)

Verizon deprioritization depends on what domain you're parked on. My cell phone is on the domain
verizonenterprise.com, so somehow, some prepaid accounts traffic are routed there. I have never noticed a slowdown there. Of course, coverage is coverage, and depends on a lot of factors at any given time.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AT&T hotspots on car connected plans are on the AT&T network, but on the side on another domain.
Used to be a part of jasper.com, but the again CISCO bought them out Back a while, they were on the same domain as Cricket Wireless (AT&T) owned.

do an "www.ip2location.com" while connected to your hotspot and i bet the domain is NOT att.com (although managed by AT&T)

Verizon deprioritization depends on what domain you're parked on. My cell phone is on the domain
verizonenterprise.com, so somehow, some prepaid accounts traffic are routed there. I have never noticed a slowdown there. Of course, coverage is coverage, and depends on a lot of factors at any given time.
We're talking about when you go over your "limit". For ATT and Verizon its usually 20-22gb. Verizon and Tmobile slow you to nothing regardless of congestion once you hit the cap.

ATT doesn't care at all unless there is real congestion. Some MVNOs ( PagePlus and USMobile )used to be ignored, but everyone has clamped down hard. You go over the limit with them and they kill your plan entirely. ATT is still the least restrictive. Verizon is the worst, checking TTL, usage and patterns as well as selling every single thing you do online and back at their supercookie BS https://www.verizon.com/support/verizon-custom-experience-programs-faqs/

The only thing Verizon has going for it is Visible and the $25 party pay for unlimited everything. If its usable, its the best deal there is.

Only other really good plan is the Tmobile Business. 25 lines for $10 a line, unlimited everything. If your mobile bill is that much, then you can hand them out like candy.

CallMeYaz

Reaction score
I purchased the ATT $200 for 1 year plan after the trial ran out. It works fine, but the usage data doesn't show on the screen when I log into my ATT account. I contacted ATT customer service and sent in the screenshot they asked for. They say it should be on the screen, but obviously it isn't. They asked me to send them my login credentials so they could try it. I said no. Does anyone else who uses this plan see their monthly usage when they login? Would you mind posting a cropped screenshot (no personal info) so I can see what it is supposed to look like? Thanks.

CallMeYaz

Reaction score
Thanks. I think mine showed that kind of usage status during the trial period, but it doesn't now.
I just got a call from the AT&T Customer Service Rep asking for my credentials again. I asked if other people are having the same problem and he said, "Yes." Some of them gave their credentials and some did not. I guess mine will get fixed when they figure out what is wrong with the others.

Users who are viewing this thread