5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horn upgrade

Bigcat9165

Reaction score
I tried to search for this but all I found was things on Bighorns go figure.

I’m looking for another option for the factory horn. Sounds like a Prius to me and looking for something more. Not looking to go the train horn route with the air compressor. Hopefully a plug and play option.

Thanks.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The horn only sounds like a Prius if one of the horns isn't working. My truck lost the low note recently and it was embarrassing to honk at idiot drivers. But, I got it replaced by the dealer, so all is good now. Next step is a louder option. I don't want air horns so maybe electronic will work for what I need.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
This reminded me - a few days ago i honked at a buddy alongside him on the freeway. He later said he couldnt hear the horn at all. Maybe i have one not working. Are they located under the guards where the gen 4s were ?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No idea where they were on the gen 4, but they are under the hood latch plastic trim, in front of the radiator.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
No idea where they were on the gen 4, but they are under the hood latch plastic trim, in front of the radiator.
Thanks. Mine are working right, there is a high and low tone and i think they are pretty loud.

irishwake63

Reaction score
Im trying to stop honking at anyone these days people are unhinged. I carry but I dont ever want to have to shoot someone because even if you are following the rules you will usually get cuffed and have to lawyer up and is it worth it?

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im trying to stop honking at anyone these days people are unhinged. I carry but I dont ever want to have to shoot someone because even if you are following the rules you will usually get cuffed and have to lawyer up and is it worth it?
That’s some real sh** my dawg! 💯

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got pulled over by a local cop for "illegal use of the horn". He didn't like the fact that I honked at him because he started slowing to below the speed limit, in the left lane, and then made an immediate left turn from that lane. The problem is that there's a left turn lane, but he wasn't in it. He made an abrupt braking in a 45mph zone to make an illegal u-turn.

So, after he pulled me over, I told him to give me the ticket as I have it all on dashcam showing that he also didn't have his turn signal on when he abruptly slowed in the left lane. He tried saying that I was threatening him with the dash cam footage and I responded that I just mentioned that as my defense for honking. Use of the horn is to be used as a warning to others. He walked away after that. At this point, I am changing lanes and honking as I pass him. You can see his brake lights on. Capture.PNG

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shocker XL from HornBasters. Unless you want to go full out like i did on my '08 Big Horn
with a set of Nathan K5LA Airchimes and engine driven on Board Air with a York 210 AC
Compressor to compress the air. See my Avatar Pic and link.

I will move them over to my 2021 Laramie with a Sanden AC compressor.

Malodave

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My buddy has an airhorn on his HD2500 and that thing is obnoxious!! I want it, but too much coin for something rarely used.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You obviously don't live in Florida!!! An air horn will quickly run our of air the way people drive down here these days.
My York 210 Compressor would fill my 9 gallon air tanks from 0 to 200 psi in 3 minutes at idle. The air
switch would turn on the compressor when it hit 165 and off at 200. It would take 15 seconds to do that
at idle and about 8 seconds if you were driving. The Viair electric Compressor would take 23 minutes for
the 0-200 psi and at least 5 to replenish from 165 to 200 psi.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread