5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hood ditch light and car washes

Jack.

Reaction score
Anyone with hood pod lights go thru car washes and if so did your pods ever get damaged ? Or ripped off ☠️☠️ considering getting some ditch lights but just curious about my wash options afterward

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone with hood pod lights go thru car washes and if so did your pods ever get damaged ? Or ripped off ☠️☠️ considering getting some ditch lights but just curious about my wash options afterward
Interesting question, I have some on my truck but it hadn't cross my mind.
I always do hand wash at a place or home

Insanity

Reaction score
I don't have ditch lights but I have a autowash subscription its a touch free. I would use that kind if you are worried about something grabbing them and ripping them off.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No issues here with rigid SS-pro lights mounted with z-roadz mounting brackets. I also have a rigid light bar mounted to the front bumper and have had zero issues in soft touch washes.

Every automatic wash will differ, it all comes down to how much the owner/employees pay attention or care about the performance of the wash. I was previously the manager of one of the largest washes in town for 15 years, I also did all of the maintenance other than electrical work so the wash was always working at its best. I’d wash my truck 2-4 times per week.

Yes that pic of the truck and trailer was taken just a few days ago, it is still winter at my new house in northern Ontario.

Attachments

• IMG_1163.jpeg
    IMG_1163.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2393.jpeg
    IMG_2393.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 54

Insanity

Reaction score
I do like the idea of some ditch lights my commute to work starts at 0430 and the majority are back country roads. I hit a raccoon in the honda I traded in and then a deer then some cats then a possum then another **** all in a 3 month time frame. I swear that car had a nut or bolt from Christine in it somewhere. I also hit one deer twice and ran it over in the Pete I drive for work but that is a whole other incident.

How are they for light glare off the hood?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do like the idea of some ditch lights my commute to work starts at 0430 and the majority are back country roads. I hit a raccoon in the honda I traded in and then a deer then some cats then a possum then another **** all in a 3 month time frame. I swear that car had a nut or bolt from Christine in it somewhere. I also hit one deer twice and ran it over in the Pete I drive for work but that is a whole other incident.

How are they for light glare off the hood?
I have no glare issues. I do have each light aimed slightly out to help illuminate the sides better. To be honest the 10k lumen ditch lights made a bigger difference than the 30k+ light bar. Could just be due to the spot/driving beam being so focused on the larger bar while the pod lights are a flood pattern.

It is amazing how much of a difference these lights make compared to the stock led lights, which aren’t to bad really. Turn on the light bars and it’s like daylight for a few hundred yards.

413 watts total, right around 30 amps running off of two relays wired to one switch. I’m not sure what the power draw of the stock led lights are.

Last edited:

Insanity

Reaction score
Thanks I might consider them in the future.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually went through one this weekend and had no issues. I have the putco fender mounts.

Attachments

• 4F0533CD-9328-472D-9B0B-863437E0A8C8.jpeg
    4F0533CD-9328-472D-9B0B-863437E0A8C8.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 45

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m holding off on ditch lights until these bad boys are ready to ship. I don’t like the look - or the placement - of traditional ditch lights.

1683065950506.jpeg

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s what the standard-mirror version looks like. Not as aesthetically pleasing, but still better than ditch lights on hood brackets.

1683066095555.jpeg

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
interesting but wonder just how much aim adjustment these would have and also cost
Yea I could imagine the vehicle they are retrofitting these to may or may not be lifted and in each persons application it potentially could drastically change throw and usable light.

Users who are viewing this thread