5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Homelink problems

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 2020 ram, and I am wondering if anyone else has had issues setting up their homelink garage door opener? I have tried it over and over now to get it to work, following step by step from the user guide and also following videos on youtube and it doesn't seem to want to set up. My father has a GMC Sierra and he tried to set his up with the same garage door and it worked just fine. If anyone has any ideas or had this same problem I could use some help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had a frustrating time getting mine to work also. Need to be quick, leave a key in truck when you do it.
I don't even have a rolling code garage door opener, so it should be super easy and quick but it just doesn't want to program for me. I'm assuming yours had the rolling code?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, it does. So yours should be easier. Hum, it was some time ago. Search on here, believe it was a vid here. Once I watched it, happened first time. It was with the truck set ready to program, not the house for me.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had no problem setting my Homelink. Perhaps you should contact the Homelink company for advice.

DakotaRam

Reaction score
Try press and hold the outer two buttons to clear it, usually 20 seconds. Then try press and hold your remote and the home link position you want. Seriously never had a problem setting them on my 19 Ram or 19 Durango .

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try press and hold the outer two buttons to clear it, usually 20 seconds. Then try press and hold your remote and the home link position you want. Seriously never had a problem setting them on my 19 Ram or 19 Durango .
Good advice, I have had clear the homelimk modules in most my cars first(even though they are new) before successfully programming my garage door openers.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
This is what I was trying to do, but it won't program for some reason. I tried it first without putting new batteries in the receiver, but then put new ones in as the owners manual suggests but still nothing.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I remember correctly you really did need to have the remote right next to the visor....I mean inch or two away at most.

Seemed stupid but it worked.

revvr

Reaction score
I had an unbelievably difficult time setting my HomeLink up until I figured out that my motors have rolling codes because I'm using Liftmaster.

If you have a Liftmaster or other rolling code remote and are pairing a garage opener that is newer (<10 years or so) and you are not having success, do this:

1. Clear HomeLink (push buttons 1 and 3 until you see fast blinking lights)

2. Hold the remote next to the visor and press & hold the button you want to program and the button on the remote at the same time. Leave them pressed until HomeLink blinks fast.

3. Run to your garage opener and press the colored button on the back (mine was yellow)

4. Run back to the truck and press the same button you were programming on HomeLink. This time short press the button 1-3 times.

DONE!

You have limited time to complete steps 3-4, so run or get someone else to press the button on the receiver.

Note that some openers/motors are using a Liftmaster receiver. Such is the case with one of my motors, which is conveniently branded as a RAMset 100. Inside the case, there is a receiver that looks like this:

81RbB-RrvgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You can see that this receiver has 3 channels and above each one is a yellow button and a yellow LED. These are the buttons you need to push in step 3 above. Look at where the wires are going and push the button above.

In motors that don't have this module, the button is typically in the back of the unit:

learn.jpg

5th Gen Rams do not show anything in the dash, focus all your attention to the HomeLink's yellow LED.

Last edited:

Rockg

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 2020 ram, and I am wondering if anyone else has had issues setting up their homelink garage door opener? I have tried it over and over now to get it to work, following step by step from the user guide and also following videos on youtube and it doesn't seem to want to set up. My father has a GMC Sierra and he tried to set his up with the same garage door and it worked just fine. If anyone has any ideas or had this same problem I could use some help.
Hi. I know this is an older post. But maybe what I learned from a phonecall with homelink will help others. I recently purchased a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with the homelink buttons on the visor. I tried everything according to the book from Ram. Nothing worked. I have a newer garage door opener (rolling code) and also have the remotes for the Linear garage door opener. So even though my Linear opener has the "learn button"
. The woman from homelink told me to have the truck ignition in the run position. Then press and hold the homelink visor button. With the remote held 1-3 inches from the homelink button, press and hold the remote button for 5 seconds, release, hold for 5 seconds and release until the flashing light changes. Then release the homelink button and try operating the homelink to operate the door. Amazingly, mine finally worked! I hope this helps someone and keeps you from swearing! Good luck.

Hpressman

Reaction score
Hi. I know this is an older post. But maybe what I learned from a phonecall with homelink will help others. I recently purchased a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with the homelink buttons on the visor. I tried everything according to the book from Ram. Nothing worked. I have a newer garage door opener (rolling code) and also have the remotes for the Linear garage door opener. So even though my Linear opener has the "learn button"
. The woman from homelink told me to have the truck ignition in the run position. Then press and hold the homelink visor button. With the remote held 1-3 inches from the homelink button, press and hold the remote button for 5 seconds, release, hold for 5 seconds and release until the flashing light changes. Then release the homelink button and try operating the homelink to operate the door. Amazingly, mine finally worked! I hope this helps someone and keeps you from swearing! Good luck.
Run position! thanks! I will try this as I've been having the same problem. go through all the steps and running abck and forth and nothing works. I didn't think to have the truck in Run.

Users who are viewing this thread