5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home furnace question if available

Iridium

Reaction score
So my sisters furnace went to **** a couple days ago.. I went over to check out what the pros were talking about was wrong with the unit and after seeing the crazy quotes they gave her for replacing all 3 units which included the following: a/c condenser, furnace , and the thing that cools that’s on top of the furnace* I went online and found all 3 as a bundle from various reputable brands for cheap. I narrowed down the list to 3 bundles that are for her size home but I’m kinda stuck on does the actual size of the furnace matter? As in the actual dimensions? The furnace she has is 46” tall x 30” deep x 17.5” wide the Goodman brand furnace is slightly smaller but the same width is that okay?

I’m looking to buy the bundle and have a pro install them for us.

Here’s the website of the unit bundle I’m looking to buy. HVAc direct

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So my sisters furnace went to **** a couple days ago.. I went over to check out what the pros were talking about was wrong with the unit and after seeing the crazy quotes they gave her for replacing all 3 units which included the following: a/c condenser, furnace , and the thing that cools that’s on top of the furnace* I went online and found all 3 as a bundle from various reputable brands for cheap. I narrowed down the list to 3 bundles that are for her size home but I’m kinda stuck on does the actual size of the furnace matter? As in the actual dimensions? The furnace she has is 46” tall x 30” deep x 17.5” wide the Goodman brand furnace is slightly smaller but the same width is that okay?

I’m looking to buy the bundle and have a pro install them for us.

Here’s the website of the unit bundle I’m looking to buy. HVAc direct
I recently had my furnace and air conditioner replaced and the new one is quite a bit smaller than the old one . The old one was 35 years old though .

Iridium

Reaction score
I recently had my furnace and air conditioner replaced and the new one is quite a bit smaller than the old one . The old one was 35 years old though .
I see. only thing that came to mind was that the new ones got smaller and more efficient. I read that the part that returns air and outgoing just gets made custom so it was just something i was puzzled on. thanks for replying.

Iridium

Reaction score
BTW the quotes ranged from a mild $7k to $16k for the full job that included the 3 items listed above.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had my whole hvac system replaced. Lennox 80% 60,000 btu furnace and 2 ton 13 seer a/c condenser. Cost me $8,900 but had a few other quotes close to $11,000. I know quotes vary depending on location but for reference I live in PA. To answer your question my new furnace unit is a lot smaller than my old one.

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
BTW the quotes ranged from a mild $7k to $16k for the full job that included the 3 items listed above.
In Northern VA you should be in the $8-$9k range for a midsized Goodman unit. They are owned by Diakin. They are a competitor in the commercial world.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the price being quoted is installation. Buying the units on your own probably isn't going to save you any money if you are still going to pay a professional to install it.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Most of the price being quoted is installation. Buying the units on your own probably isn't going to save you any money if you are still going to pay a professional to install it.
This is very true. Part of thier profit is that they get the distributor discount and charge you the retail cost. Most consumers just think they are not being upcharged because that's what they saw. The distributors get a sliding scale savings based on volume.

JRD

Reaction score
Something to think about is some contractors may not warranty it since they didn’t purchase it. I’ve ran into that on some commercial projects you may want to confirm before you pull the trigger.

JRD

Reaction score
This is very true. Part of thier profit is that they get the distributor discount and charge you the retail cost. Most consumers just think they are not being upcharged because that's what they saw. The distributors get a sliding scale savings based on volume.
Yep Once they know they don’t get that markup they’ll just charge more for installation. They’re getting their money one way or the other unfortunately

Users who are viewing this thread