5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holes/Slots on bed rails

Barenaked

Reaction score
Hey All, new guy here. Just picked up a 2020 RAM 2500 last night and was wondering if anyone can tell me what the purpose of these holes are in the bed rail. The salesman couldn’t tell me (small town in Alaska, only 2500 on the lot).

I’m looking to purchase a tonneau cover from rough country and am concerned about whether or not the cover is designed to cover these holes completely to keep water out.

Just surprised that they are left open and dont have removable caps.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 13BF62F4-3211-4236-8388-48CADC4FCC5D.jpeg
    13BF62F4-3211-4236-8388-48CADC4FCC5D.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 285C8A46-FAE6-4A30-9B4E-61D521EEA8BA.jpeg
    285C8A46-FAE6-4A30-9B4E-61D521EEA8BA.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 69

moparleo51

Reaction score
they are for adding tie down brackets.

Attachments

• canvas.png
    canvas.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 39

Barenaked

Reaction score
Interesting that these are left open by default. If a tonneau cover doesnt cover these, water is just going to pour in.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting that these are left open by default. If a tonneau cover doesnt cover these, water is just going to pour in.

Water will just run through. I have a cover, these aren’t covered and no water gets in the bed from those
You can also find covers for these holes, i believe called stake pockets

2020 1500 Canadian Sport 4x4 Delmonico Red

Kroc0005

Reaction score
I had a similar question i put to the Ram Facebook group a few weeks ago and yeah they are stake holes. They don't cover the rear ones for whatever reason as the front ones were not cut out.

As i was recommended, go to Amazon and buy these covers:

Congrats on the new Ram!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Moe1962

Reaction score
Hey All, new guy here. Just picked up a 2020 RAM 2500 last night and was wondering if anyone can tell me what the purpose of these holes are in the bed rail. The salesman couldn’t tell me (small town in Alaska, only 2500 on the lot).

I’m looking to purchase a tonneau cover from rough country and am concerned about whether or not the cover is designed to cover these holes completely to keep water out.

Just surprised that they are left open and dont have removable caps.

Thanks!
Water won't get in your bed from those stake pocket holes. They are open at the bottom and water will flow right thru them, not into the bed. I have a Gator Hybrid on my truck and it covers most of the hole, if not all of it, and I get no water in my bed even in a storm, so far.

RJS

Reaction score
I had a similar question i put to the Ram Facebook group a few weeks ago and yeah they are stake holes. They don't cover the rear ones for whatever reason as the front ones were not cut out.

As i was recommended, go to Amazon and buy these covers:

Congrats on the new Ram!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The tie down brackets need to have the plastic bed rails holes enlarged for fitment. The plugs from Amazon mentioned in this post just fit in the holes and look fine. Here they are installed on my 19 Laramie. No mods needed.

While there shouldn't be much water get into the bed through the stake pockets there are holes in the sides of them that go directly into the bed.
stake pocket plugs.jpg

JaxDomino

Reaction score
The tie down brackets need to have the plastic bed rails holes enlarged for fitment. The plugs from Amazon mentioned in this post just fit in the holes and look fine. Here they are installed on my 19 Laramie. No mods needed.

While there shouldn't be much water get into the bed through the stake pockets there are holes in the sides of them that go directly into the bed.
View attachment 54998
What bed cover do you have? I am having a hard time finding one that fits with the Utility Rails I have on my 2020 Laramie. Had to return a Tyger T5 I really liked.

RJS

Reaction score
What bed cover do you have? I am having a hard time finding one that fits with the Utility Rails I have on my 2020 Laramie. Had to return a Tyger T5 I really liked.
Same as the last reply above, I also have the Armorflex and Bed utility rails. If your's has the side opening tailgate there can be interference with the brackets that stiffen the front bed corners.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can buy filler inserts for the stake pockets. eBay and Amazon usually have something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread