5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hole on oil filter. What a mess.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So my truck was sitting for about two weeks and I turned it on today and did a few errands and when I got back there was a puddle of oil. I checked under the chassis and there was oil everywhere! It made it all the to my rear shock! I was trying to pinpoint where it was coming from since the oil filter threads looked dry I was clueless. I turned on the truck and crawled back under and saw the oil filter gushing out oil through a tiny hole not even visible to the eye. Now I have to fabricate a gaurd/skidplate so rocks don't hit it.

Attachments

• 20201010_070049.jpg
    20201010_070049.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 20201010_070135.jpg
    20201010_070135.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 20201010_070259.jpg
    20201010_070259.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 112

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So my truck was sitting for about two weeks and I turned it on today and did a few errands and when I got back there was a puddle of oil. I checked under the chassis and there was oil everywhere! It made it all the to my rear shock! I was trying to pinpoint where it was coming from since the oil filter threads looked dry I was clueless. I turned on the truck and crawled back under and saw the oil filter gushing out oil through a tiny hole not even visible to the eye. Now I have to fabricate a gaurd/skidplate so rocks don't hit it.
Based on a novice oil filter install years ago do you know how the filter was installed?

I had a similar experience many years ago as a new guy doing my own oil change. I used the oil filter wrench to tighten the filter on and it put a non noticeable hole in the filter. Sure enough it leaked under pressure. My mechanic neighbor who has since passed away had a good laugh, some how I felt he had made the same mistake or witnessed a similar incident to mine.
Just enough life experience to pass on to my 3 sons and this forum.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Based on a novice oil filter install years ago do you know how the filter was installed?

I had a similar experience many years ago as a new guy doing my own oil change. I used the oil filter wrench to tighten the filter on and it put a non noticeable hole in the filter. Sure enough it leaked under pressure. My mechanic neighbor who has since passed away had a good laugh, some how I felt he had made the same mistake or witnessed a similar incident to mine.
Just enough life experience to pass on to my 3 sons and this forum.
I always take it to the dealer for all work but im sure that wasn't the issue. I was already at 25% on oil life and I offroad my truck a lot and usually at highway speeds. I'm really surprised the skid plate doesn't protect it.

SoCalBogey

Reaction score
Not saying it’s not possible, but I highly doubt a rock that got kicked up did that. More than likely a piece of debris or burr on the filter wrench. I’ve seen that happen before.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a wrench to tighten it, the Mopar filter states 1 turn after contact, which can easily be done by hand tightening.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not saying it’s not possible, but I highly doubt a rock that got kicked up did that. More than likely a piece of debris or burr on the filter wrench. I’ve seen that happen before.

Anyone that uses a filter wrench to install an oil filter is a moron.

976-HIKE

Reaction score
I had a hole in my oil filter last year, unknown origin. Same symptoms The engine light came on, so I took it to the dealer. They reset the light and said it was a glitch. I then drove it to work and it came back on. I took it back and they found the hole in the oil filter.

I don’t know how it happened. It was before the first oil change. What’s really weird is that the Rebel is pretty well armored underneath, but the Oil filter doesn’t have anything directly protecting it... probably because it’s tucked so far up. But somehow, something got up there.

SoCalBogey

Reaction score
Anyone that uses a filter wrench to install an oil filter is a moron.
You’d be surprised what goes on when other people service your car.... the reason I do my own maintenance. I looked under my truck today... again, not saying it’s impossible but I don’t see how anything could get kicked up by a tire to contact the filter. My truck sees dirt on a regular basis and there is no evidence of anything contacting the oil filter. I’m wondering if there was maybe a bad batch of filters out there???? This is strange.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’d be surprised what goes on when other people service your car.... the reason I do my own maintenance. I looked under my truck today... again, not saying it’s impossible but I don’t see how anything could get kicked up by a tire to contact the filter. My truck sees dirt on a regular basis and there is no evidence of anything contacting the oil filter. I’m wondering if there was maybe a bad batch of filters out there???? This is strange.
Idk its just a coincidence that as soon as I started hauling *** on the trails while testing the king shocks the oil filter starts leaking with 25% life haha and my tailgate bushing broke. Who knows, maybe the tech did mess it up and it finally just gave out.

Users who are viewing this thread