5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hole in block

Jeez!!!
That cylinder drop a valve or get hydrolocked somehow??
The conn rod snapped off near the base, but broken into multiple pieces..and the pistons is destroyed!
That's usually HIGH rpm kinda damage right there.
What happened right before it blew??
I was driving normal speed .

Jeez!!!
That cylinder drop a valve or get hydrolocked somehow??
The conn rod snapped off near the base, but broken into multiple pieces..and the pistons is destroyed!
That's usually HIGH rpm kinda damage right there.
What happened right before it blew??
Just driving normal speed 65 mph warranty guy said something happen in the head made everything eles break he 95% sure warranty cover it.

"something happened in the head"...yep, dropped a valve!
Sucks..have them drop a 392 long block in there to make it up to you!🤗
Had my engine replaced. In talking to the mechanic he believes it was the lifter that caused the valve to drop.

This video explains MDS but at the beginning is a nice shot of the lifters, push rods and rocker to give an idea how they are interconnected to the valves.

Last edited:
Unless you really like what the other manufacturers are offering, and want to take a bath on your truck’s trade value, I’d be keeping what you have with a (probable) new engine. Ferd, Toyo and bow tie are all having significant issues, though Toyo has stepped up finally.

GM’s are eating lifters left and tight while Ferd seems to have forgotten how to properly assemble a truck, according to their forums and many news articles. Before you jump ship, spend some time on YT and the competing forums.

My neighbor traded-off his 160K 2016 hemi with an atrocious tick and got a 2024 Chev custom trim 1500 with the little turbo 4. While the truck is nice, the engine is averaging 15 mpg combined as the turbo is almost always engaged trying to move the truck… I can’t recommend that one.
Absolutely true. Every manufacturer can and will have problems. For me the key is customer service. No matter which brand, if you can find a dealership with great customer service I recommend buying that brand. A dealership that is willing to go to bat for their customers is worth doing business with no matter which brand they sell.

Had my engine replaced. In talking to the mechanic he believes it was the lifter that caused the valve to drop.

This video explains MDS but at the beginning is a nice shot of the lifters, push rods and rocker to give an idea how they are interconnected to the valves.

When did u have engine replace how many miles u had on it?

When did u have engine replace how many miles u had on it?
May 28th, 40,011 miles the Ram died. September 28th returned with new motor. I was a low priority at the dealership ( I did not purchase the vehicle there and it is warranty work - my opinion/words). It sat for 3 months.

I was told by the service adviser when it was brought in it would be 2 to 3 months.

Should be covered under the 60k miles powertrain warranty.

Sent from my iPhone usi Tapatalk Pro
Engine is cover by powertrain approved on Oct 13th new engine been order should hear back today on tracking of the engine time line when I get truck back hope it back before gun season for deer 🦌
May 28th, 40,011 miles the Ram died. September 28th returned with new motor. I was a low priority at the dealership ( I did not purchase the vehicle there and it is warranty work - my opinion/words). It sat for 3 months.

I was told by the service adviser when it was brought in it would be 2 to 3 months.
I sure hope not long for me get it back.

Engine is cover by powertrain approved on Oct 13th new engine been order should hear back today on tracking of the engine time line when I get truck back hope it back before gun season for deer 🦌

I sure hope not long for me get it back.
I think it is about a 20 hour/3 day job but can be delays based on parts. I believe they started mine on the 3rd week of September and it was ready on the 26th. There was also 30 or so miles on the motor and my BMW mechanic buddy told me they have to put 50 miles on a beemer motor replacement.

Best wishes on the new motor. I had the engine light come on for a misfire on cyl 8 at about 102 miles on the motor and went off after about 43 miles. All good after that.

I think it is about a 20 hour/3 day job but can be delays based on parts. I believe they started mine on the 3rd week of September and it was ready on the 26th. There was also 30 or so miles on the motor and my BMW mechanic buddy told me they have to put 50 miles on a beemer motor replacement.

Best wishes on the new motor. I had the engine light come on for a misfire on cyl 8 at about 102 miles on the motor and went off after about 43 miles. All good after that.
motor be here on Monday they claim they start work on Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Back