5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HK system speaker replacement

patriot_tech

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am in the process of replacing the speakers in my system. I am disconnecting the awful subwoofer and replacing it with 2 13TW5's in an MTI box running off a JL1200/1. I plan to replace the mids/highs with Faital Pro 3FE22 full range 3" speakers.
I am going to run the factory amp on mids / highs and see how it sounds. Then later add amp to run them and eliminate the factory amp.

Anybody have any input / suggestions on the 6x9s? I am leaning toward the Audiofrog 6x9 midbass, but would like to find something cheaper if possible.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you ever do anything with this?

I tried installing my HAT Legatia L3SE 3" full range in the dash today, but the stock speakers actually sounded better, and nearly as hard to drive. I have the HAT 6x9's as well, but after treating my doors and adding closed cell foam between the panels and door, treating the back, unplugging the sub, it sounds jam up. Now I'm waiting on my JL Audio Stealthbox and VX1000 amp to arrive to take care of the sub.

I would try treating everything first, as this seriously improved the sound on the factory speakers.

patriot_tech

Reaction score

I tried installing my HAT Legatia L3SE 3" full range in the dash today, but the stock speakers actually sounded better, and nearly as hard to drive. I have the HAT 6x9's as well, but after treating my doors and adding closed cell foam between the panels and door, treating the back, unplugging the sub, it sounds jam up. Now I'm waiting on my JL Audio Stealthbox and VX1000 amp to arrive to take care of the sub.

I would try treating everything first, as this seriously improved the sound on the factory speakers.

Sorry for the slow respopnse - have not been on here in a while. I did move forward on this and posted here - https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/h-k-audio-upgrade-vast-improvment.20790/
to describe what I did and the results. I am very pleased thus far. Night / day difference honestly. I have not deadened anything as of yet, but if that makes a difference I'll be even more thrilled.

patriot_tech

Reaction score

Iirc, the HAT stuff is rather inefficient for use with the stock amp. That is why I chose the faital's, they are very efficient as are the CDT's. It is actually louder and sounds better than stock. The faitals took a little work to integrate properly, but not a big deal. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll help as best I can. If anyone is local to Akron Ohio and wants to hear my setup, I'm sure we can arrange it. I think this is perfect for someone who wants to keep full functionality and get vastly better sound .

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah... the HAT's are way on down there... no way they match up. I couldn't hear them for the door speakers overpowering them.

I'm going to try the 4 inch Infinity Ref speakers since I have them on order, but if they don't sound like I want them to, and I have the holes cut, I'll probably try the Faital 4 inch, since the cutout is about the same. I may try them anyway, as I have free returns on the Infinity speakers. Thus far I prefer the full range speakers better than the coaxials with what I've had... don't have to worry with the overly bright sound coming off the windshield.

I responded in your other thread as well.

thrillracing

Reaction score

What do you mean by “treating”?

Ordered while the sh*t was hitting the fan..Hydro-Blue Laramie Group 2, Air-suspension, Off-road, Sport, Uconnect 12, power running boards, dual panel moonroof.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What do you mean by “treating”?
Using some dampening material similar to Dynamat... I used Raamat left over from my previous truck and Noico from Amazon. They make fifty-eleven different kinds, but basically you want something to deaden the metal in the outer door skin, and on the back wall. If you knock on the outside of the door, notice the hollow sound, then get closer to the edge and it gets stiffer and more solid, because there is more bracing. Dampening helps with resonance noises. Some guys go all out and strip the entire vehicle, which I've done a couple of times myself, but actually treating about 50% of the area will accomplish the same thing. Then there is closed cell foam... which I used 1/2" between the door panel and the door, which helps keep rattles down, helps seal the door and also has some STC (sound proofing quality) to it. The combination help tighten up the mid-bass and in most cases will create better response and less distortion from the door speakers... as well as it helps with the bass rattling things in the vehicle.

Jstewey87

Reaction score
I replaced my door speakers and there’s a tiny gap after I snapped it back on. When I shut the rear door it rattles. I want to either use sound dampening or close the gap with some foam tape barrier or something. Wondering if you had any ideas.

Jstewey87

Reaction score

I want to treat my doors as well. But I’m nervous about doing it myself and don’t know what material to buy. I have a 2019 big horn crew. The only thing the truck didn’t have is a premium sound system and leather. I’m doing both. I have replaced all the speakers with infinity reference and a 5 channel reference amp. JL audio w3 10” in a custom box. If you have any advice I would appreciate it!

Dave88LX

Reaction score
Here is a great site that explains the three types of noise-dampening layers.
Basically you've got the "Dynamat" type stuff which stops body panels from resonating, next is the MLV Mass Loaded Vinyl, blocking noises, and last is CCF, Closed Cell Foam which knocks out some of the mid/higher range frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread