5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HK system speaker locations

ADJS

Reaction score
Good Memorial Day all!

I've looked online and searched in the forum for information, but I haven't found anything yet.

I'm wondering where these 19 speakers are.

Everywhere I see information on the HK system, I always end up with 12, including the subwoofer.

Any help or diagrams would be appreciated. If there is a thread that shows this that I missed point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

ericd

Reaction score
Looks like the ones with 2 circles have 2 speakers at that location and you get to 19

Capture.PNG

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're 7 short at 12. There area 7 Unity speakers, so I would imagine each of those are dual tweeter/mid.

In the Challenger the Harman Kardon Unity is this;
7 x 90mm midrange with 16mm Tweeter GreenEdge high-efficiency unity speakers

Rick J

Reaction score
You're 7 short at 12. There area 7 Unity speakers, so I would imagine each of those are dual tweeter/mid.

In the Challenger the Harman Kardon Unity is this;
7 x 90mm midrange with 16mm Tweeter GreenEdge high-efficiency unity speakers
That is correct:
19 Speaker System
  • 7 Unity speakers
    • 3 in IP, 2 in upper front doors, 2 in rear headliner
  • 4 6x9” woofers
    • 1 in each lower door
  • 10” enclosed subwoofer
    • Behind rear passenger seat
The Unity Speakers include a mid range and a tweeter.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^yep! 19 is misleading to a certain extent.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they all have their own drivers, it isn't misleading at all. There may be 12 locations, but there are still 19 driven speakers.

ADJS

Reaction score
AH! Ok, I was correct in assuming that. That is misleading. The driver is a speaker component. A two way speaker is one speaker with two drivers. It is misleading. Altho, it would have been more accurate and impressive to say "19 channel sound system" imho of course. :)

Thank you for all who replied! I really appreciate it! \(^__^)/

Saints

Reaction score
AH! Ok, I was correct in assuming that. That is misleading. The driver is a speaker component. A two way speaker is one speaker with two drivers. It is misleading. Altho, it would have been more accurate and impressive to say "19 channel sound system" imho of course. :)

Thank you for all who replied! I really appreciate it! \(^__^)/
I agree, it’s misleading.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even though technically it's 2 speakers in one, I've never once seen a description of a set of two way speakers marked "two pairs of speakers". I get it... It's a 2 way speaker with 2 drivers in one chassis, but nobody, not even in the audio industry, refers to that as 2 speakers. It's a single 2-way speaker.

It's good old marketing. Not a big deal. Most marketing doesn't get to the details.

ADJS

Reaction score
Even though technically it's 2 speakers in one, I've never once seen a description of a set of two way speakers marked "two pairs of speakers". I get it... It's a 2 way speaker with 2 drivers in one chassis, but nobody, not even in the audio industry, refers to that as 2 speakers. It's a single 2-way speaker.

It's good old marketing. Not a big deal. Most marketing doesn't get to the details.
Yes!

Im not mad about it by any stretch of the imagination. I was just confused by it as a sound nerd currently into Pro Audio. lol

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes!

Im not mad about it by any stretch of the imagination. I was just confused by it as a sound nerd currently into Pro Audio. lol
Imagine getting what you think is a 12 speaker home audio system only to find out you have a pair of bookshelf speakers. Ha!

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Imagine getting what you think is a 12 speaker home audio system only to find out you have a pair of bookshelf speakers. Ha!
That's what I was just thinking trying to add up the drivers in my home theater downstairs....
So, it's a 7.1 configuration, so 1, 2, 3....24 speakers. :p

Either way, the HK 19 system in my truck has been the best sounding OEM premium setup that I've ever owned.

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
I have to say this really pisses me off. Never, not anywhere, no speaker manufacter ever calls a single 2 or 3 way speaker, 3 separate speakers. This is a flat out lie. Each speaker has 1 set of speaker leads not multiples. Now the system does sound great except for the subwoofer which I already replaced but the audacity to deceive people this way!

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
12 speakers is still a lot. Imho, they could have just gone with that. It does sound good though. Except the sub like you say, which I replaced with 2 and now it sounds really good.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the wiring schematic, if you count any that say "Speaker" as 2, minus the subwoofer, then you get 19. Tweeters are single. edited as this is inaccurate.

Only way to tell would be to have someone pop their panels off and look-see for us. I haven't taken mine apart yet. Only other person I've seen on here I think upgraded his Alpine system, not the HK, but I'd have to go search his thread and see if he posted info/pix.

To be technically correct though, the "driver" icon should have 2 voicecoils to indicate multiple "speakers" as FCA would have you think.

1574292676131.png

Something like this :

1574292958474.png

Last edited:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
although ... Premium 1 .. shows the sub having 3 drivers within it .. but does not have Left Front Tweeter or Right Front Tweeter.

1574293185327.png

Last edited:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now marked HK system with FCAs proper wording : "Unity Speakers" which indicate they have dual drivers

So it appears that the Tweeters are the dual speakers, not the doors - so I'm gonna have to pull mine apart and look-see

1574294562189.png

1574294962122.png

so the UNITY speakers may be are a Midrange + Tweeter (although they are listed as Tweeter) .. still researching cuz I'm bored LOL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread